What's new

An interesting video about spontaneity in fighting games.

RakeemGTR

Eat Ass n Nuts

Found this really interesting video about a think from British philosopher Allan watts talking about spontaneity juxtaposed with tekken 7 and street fighter 5 gameplay. I think what he's saying about spontaneity here is definitely applicable to fighting games.
One part he says that really resonates imo is when he's referring to fencing;

"It is true that he who hesitate has lost. if you are engaged in combat you see...and you stop to think what sort of defense or attack you oughta make, then the enemy's got you."

Would love to hear your guys' opinion on this subject!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
When I played R6S a lot, the subject of spontaneity was brought up very often. The more spontaneous you are, the less prepared the enemy team will be for your attack or vice versa. Being creative gave you wins a lot of the time. If you would use the attack path the enemy expects you to come through, you'll get shot in 0.2 seconds.

In FGs, especially in high level, I see a lot of people playing characters the exact same way. It's been less prevalent for MK11 so far, but if you're playing the same gameplan all of the time then your opponent is fully equipped to defend against your attacks.

Fighting games are a bit more restrictive, MK11 especially, and 2D games even more. There's only so many tactics we can use, but what throws people off is not having a pattern and not cycling through the same attacks. I definitely need to do this more.