What's new

Ambiguous Midscreen Divebomb OTG....With NO Scaling?!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
He did have this in Injustice 1 but I thought I'd share for the delight of the newer audience who may not be aware. Hell I was showing people who played Injustice 1 this at CEO and they didn't know about it and were pretty much puking as well :D The following is a combo which sets up an ambiguously crossing up OTG divebomb that you control that you can't tech roll from if timed correctly AND......if you time it right to hit same side it also has no damage scaling applied to the divebomb, giving you a full damage followup conversion.

Enjoy:

Crossup divebomb (has full otg scaling)

Non-crossup divebomb (has full otg scaling)

Non-crossup divebomb (has no damage scaling)

The deciding factor for if the divebomb crosses up or not is the timing on the J2 after the J3. If you do instant J2 then divebomb after the J3 then the divebomb will cross up. If you do J3 then almost instant j2, ie instant j2 but delayed by a few frames, then the divebomb will hit same side. And if you time the divebomb just right you get no scaling :cool:

I don't even know who to tag, sorry Superman players lol. Tag who you like

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
He did have this in Injustice 1 but I thought I'd share for the delight of the newer audience who may not be aware. Hell I was showing people who played Injustice 1 this at CEO and they didn't know about it and were pretty much puking as well :D The following is a combo which sets up an ambiguously crossing up OTG divebomb that you control that you can't tech roll from if timed correctly AND......if you time it right to hit same side it also has no damage scaling applied to the divebomb, giving you a full damage followup conversion.

Enjoy:

The deciding factor for if the divebomb crosses up or not is the timing on the J2 after the J3. If you do instant J2 then divebomb after the J3 then the divebomb will cross up. If you do J3 then almost instant j2, ie instant j2 but delayed by a few frames, then the divebomb will hit same side. And if you time the divebomb just right you get no scaling :cool:

Really nice find! There is alot of this going round which people need to explore more.

Playing with the frame adv from different jump normal heights can have to strong effects. I found similar thing with WoWo where you can control which side you cross up by the height of J2

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
This is genius

I bet you can do this mixup off a raw D2 midscreen somehow, or off D2 anti-air 0_0

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman

Enjoy:

Is the one that doesn't scale actually an OTG?

Youphemism

I am having difficulty making it not scale.

Any tips?
Well assuming you're doing the J2 right so that the divebomb doesn't cross up try and find the timing where they're just hitting the ground as you hit them with the divebomb. It's not easy, seems to be consistent as long as you time it right though.
Is the one that doesn't scale actually an OTG?
Well considering it restands the opponent and the only ways I can think of that opponents are restood (outside of actual restand moves like Batman's MB grapple) are OTGs and the anti-unblockable mechanic (which it can't be since that only triggers when two moves hit on the same frame) it has to be an OTG. What I'm thinking though is that there's a specific timeframe where if you hit the opponent with the divebomb (and I guess any other OTG move in the game) just as they hit the ground it OTGs in a way that scaling isn't applied for some reason.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Have you all tried it with roll on...?
You may have busted it. I'm sitting here trying this with roll on and it seems to be giving me scaling no matter what. Well, not completely busted in that it still hits but the scaling is always happening it seems. I'll keep trying.

Last edited:

UPR_Nova

Noob
Tech roll messes with it and causes scaling every time, thing is, I can't manually tech roll this though. And if you are manually tech rolling this then you are choosing to get risky. The AI is able to tech roll and block, however, I've yet to do it once manually. Added to the fact that this is ambiguous, I don't see the tech roll causing that much of an issue. Yes, it does mess with it but my opinion trying to tech roll and block, especially in the corner, is asking for it. It's a small window to perform the tech roll and choose the side you want to block. Just my two cents.

UPR_Nova

Noob
So this leads me to my questions. Is this fixable and if so, will they decide to remove it? From what I've heard, it used to be like this in the first game off pretty much everything and they removed it, so why would they keep this in if it is possible that it can be removed?

Do not remove this, please and thank you.

Youphemism

Uh you must be mistiming it then because I tested it with tech roll and it didn't make a difference. The non-crossup having no scaling tells me it's hitting just as they hit the ground so they don't even have time to tech roll anyway, at least for that version/timing.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
You can also dive bomb after b23 EX. Dash under and dive bomb. Back grounnd bounces yield more fun setups
After mb b23 just take your 50%

Also there is scaling on the non crossup, it's just way less aggressive scaling, so you can get 35% instead of the 50% you get off a normal jump 3/divebomb

UPR_Nova

Noob
Uh you must be mistiming it then because I tested it with tech roll and it didn't make a difference. The non-crossup having no scaling tells me it's hitting just as they hit the ground so they don't even have time to tech roll anyway, at least for that version/timing.
Need to work on it more I guess then. Would you recommend going for the dive bomb earlier or later after the j2 connects? Or is this 100% do it by feel?

Youphemism

Need to work on it more I guess then. Would you recommend going for the dive bomb earlier or later after the j2 connects? Or is this 100% do it by feel?
Well if you do it too early you won't get the divebomb but if you're getting scaling every time and tech roll is messing with it then that tells me your timing just now is a little too late. I personally just do it by feel but it's not easy.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
After mb b23 just take your 50%

Also there is scaling on the non crossup, it's just way less aggressive scaling, so you can get 35% instead of the 50% you get off a normal jump 3/divebomb
I know. But it could be used to end a combo and go for a dive bomb if you want to style. Also what combo are you doing after b23 MB by chance?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM

Enjoy:

good find. I believe Slayer has been doing this already But its good you brought it to the masses