What's new

Match-up Discussion Am I the only HG who doesn't think the Zod MU is that bad?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Now, I'm not exactly an up-player, but I've seen lots of peeps claim that MU can be as bad as an 8-2; I strongly disagree. I don't think she wins any MU against a strong zoning character, but Zod is one MU I've never had trouble in. Him and Sinestro are her two "bad" matchups that I've never struggled in, but I don't see anyone saying the Sinestro one is unwinnable. Am I alone in this?

P.S. Before anyone wants to challenge me, Internet at my current residence sucks.

P.P.S-Personally, Deathstroke and Zatanna are harder for me to win in

P.P.S-

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
I don't think Zod's zoning is particularly troublesome. His trait is a problem because you're generally not going to land a combo long enough to time it out, so you have to block that or eat it.
But Zod Charge shuts down everything.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Match up is ass but I don't know about 3-7. All of his stuff to deal with HG is unsafe. You can use invincibility on wing evade to deal with trait. So there's work arounds.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Match up is ass but I don't know about 3-7. All of his stuff to deal with HG is unsafe. You can use invincibility on wing evade to deal with trait. So there's work arounds.
I don't think Zod's zoning is particularly troublesome. His trait is a problem because you're generally not going to land a combo long enough to time it out, so you have to block that or eat it.
But Zod Charge shuts down everything.
Thank you. Yeah, his trait sucks to deal with, but it fucks with everyone. His zoning's not worse than Deathstroke's, and you can duck or jump his ground shots if you don't wanna block. Kinda what I was getting at in that older thread, nobody uses Wing EVADE to really evade things, ya know?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Either you're playing the wrong Zods or I'm playing the wrong HGs, he dominates the pace, renders her trait useless, and keeps her away well.
I feel like you could say the same about the Doomsday MU, but that's considered a 5-5 by a lot of people. I'm not saying she wins or goes even, but I really don't think it's a bad fight. Hell, I think his trait is the only ting that makes this MU stand out from her other bad ones.

After saying this, I'm expecting to go 0-2 at (Kombat Network I think it is?) next month to Zod players.

F4tal

Noob
I personally don't think it is unwinnable but I can't really say whether it's 7-3 or just a tough 6-4. The only good Zod that I have played was m2dave and I believe the score the last time we played was like 16-6 or something like that. I think the only problem in this matchup is Zod's trait. Zoning isn't that bad in my opinion, you just have to be very patient. @AK Pig Of The Hut we should play this match up sometime on PSN if you get a chance. I dont have Injustice on 360 yet :p

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Man, I was hoping at least @Espio would pop in with all this tech siding with me on this. I'm taking my wings and going home
lol considering I don't know all the little nuances of this match up, it's wise for me to not say much in either direction. Plus nothing is set in stone at present. I don't feel adamant in either direction and especially not enough to argue it.

All I really know is you can abuse him on knockdown since his wake ups are pretty stuffable and to play patiently,you have to play her like a normal character to get in and establish your game, which isn't to say it's easy or hard to do.

Either you're playing the wrong Zods or I'm playing the wrong HGs, he dominates the pace, renders her trait useless, and keeps her away well.
Speaking of which, we need to play since we haven't yet :).

(P.S. I just want games and experience, not trying to argue with anybody on numbers lol).

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I personally don't think it is unwinnable but I can't really say whether it's 7-3 or just a tough 6-4. The only good Zod that I have played was m2dave and I believe the score the last time we played was like 16-6 or something like that. I think the only problem in this matchup is Zod's trait. Zoning isn't that bad in my opinion, you just have to be very patient. @AK Pig Of The Hut we should play this match up sometime on PSN if you get a chance. I dont have Injustice on 360 yet :p
What's the name on psn

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Zods B22 also stuff all of Hawkgirls wakeups. I get like 400 traits per game also lol. And da zoning is the cherry. Parry has it's uses as well.

It's just pretty bad overall I'll say 7-3

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I feel like you could say the same about the Doomsday MU, but that's considered a 5-5 by a lot of people. I'm not saying she wins or goes even, but I really don't think it's a bad fight. Hell, I think his trait is the only ting that makes this MU stand out from her other bad ones.

After saying this, I'm expecting to go 0-2 at (Kombat Network I think it is?) next month to Zod players.
Zod is the kind of character that keeps you in check if you don't have good ways to move in on him. He negates her air options so easily that all she can do is slowly walk him into the corner while he builds meter and does chip. Like I said before, it feels really easy to control the pace in that MU.

F4tal

Noob
Zods B22 also stuff all of Hawkgirls wakeups. I get like 400 traits per game also lol. And da zoning is the cherry. Parry has it's uses as well.

THIS! Last time I played Dave I really couldn't wakeup as much as I would have liked to because of B22 :( Getting around someone who can do IAZB really good is also a pain in the ass -,-

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

I'm also in the camp that her wake-ups aren't that great. Wake-up Mace Charge can turn into a crutch, and she doesn't get a whole lot of invincibility frames and it's easy to blow up by anyone. Rest aren't that great. The biggest hassle is getting in on him, but it's not that much worse than anyone else. He just gets more tools to keep her out, which mean she has to be patient

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
All I really know is you can abuse him on knockdown since his wake ups are pretty stuffable and to play patiently,you have to play her like a normal character to get in and establish your game, which isn't to say it's easy or hard to do.

Speaking of which, we need to play since we haven't yet :)
lol yeah we do. I don't have a lot of time to play online, I'm usually only on Tuesdays, but I think I added you.

This is true, Zod's wakeup game is really weak, you can abuse him if you don't do stuff he can just Zod Charge away from. I pretty much have to block in the corner and try to get away.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
nobody uses Wing EVADE to really evade things, ya know?
This is something I really give @AK Trepound380 props for. Dude wing evades through everything. I was making a list of strings she could wing evade 2 through for a full combo punish. She can do that with any string or normal into Earthshaker by the way. ;)

I seriously meant that in a good way, I hope that didn't sound pretentious coming from me. I couldn't wing evade through projectiles like that if my life depended on it.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
lol yeah we do. I don't have a lot of time to play online, I'm usually only on Tuesdays, but I think I added you.

This is true, Zod's wakeup game is really weak, you can abuse him if you don't do stuff he can just Zod Charge away from. I pretty much have to block in the corner and try to get away.
You did add me, just message me next Tuesday and if I'm around we can play a set.

I just tested with Hawkgirl that she can 3 wing evade Zod charge, but it doesn't punish just makes it whiff at close range to her and the whiff recovery says it's 14 so if that's true (correct me if I'm wrong) since her forward 1 is six frames she should be able to punish with forward 1,1, trait, 2, MB mace charge I'm guessing and at the worst she can pressure after I'm thinking since he's at disadvantage frames and she avoids the wake up. I need to practice this though.

Edit: So he can block after but she still gets pressure so it's better to just MB back 3/forward 3 if you read a Zod charge or block and punish.

Last edited: