What's new

Question Am I motorically retarded?!

Very, very strange things happening... how should I start this...

Well lets just say that I have HUGE problems, and I really mean HUGE when I say it, landing a very very basic combo with my sub, which is btw my main character. I am however able to do most slightly advanced combos, like the midscreen meterless 38% combo for example, but I'm just totally unable to do some basic bnb's.

The one that frustrates me horribly is one of the most important for sub too, the one that should be used all the time basically, and the one that I really love also, because of the fact that it results in a stagger which allows you to continue pressure. I bet yall already know which one I'm talking about. Yes, it's that <- 121 bnb.

And no, I'm not so retarded that I couldn pull it off standing, which would probably really mean that I should just quit with fighters and find myself a new hobi. I can't do it after a jip, no matter whether I do the jip with 1 or 2. I've spent hours and hours in training mode tring to figure a way to pull that basic stuff on a constant basis, but I manage to do it like 50% of the time, other 50% I just whiff and do something else instead.

I can't stress enough how much that frustrates me, basically every competent sub player is doing that stuff all the time in all of matches since it's so usefull and great for locking your opponent in the corner and is a bacis bnb so to speak.

What the hell, why can't I do the frickin jip+ <- 121 on a constant basis?!

Just another interesting observation? I think that my motoric skills just cant cope with the difference between my finger inputs and stuff thats happening on the screen. I've noticed, that I+m able to do theat very same bnb like 100% of the time with my eyes closed!!!

Yes, you've heard it right, I have a perfect timing from a million tries, and I'm able to pull it off like 99% of the time with my eyes closed.

But with my eyes open I just can't!! Something that happens on the screen distorts me into pressing some other button instead of 1 on the second hit and something completely diffrent comes out. For instance, a lot of the time I just do 11 instead. My opponents always asks me why the hell am I smacking them and if I'm trolling.

No for gods sake, I'm just frickin motorically retarded folks!!!!

Oh man, I really wish to learn to play this game since I love it so so much. But being incompetent to do very basic stuff like this really brings me down and makes me hate myself for being such a retard.

Is there anything at all that you could advise me on this, will anyone at least understand my problem at all or is this like science fiction for you, I bet for a lot of you decent sub players it will sound like that.

Help me please!!! (crying for help)

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
One your way overthinking it
two there actually a diagnostics for that, because i have it lol, its called Dyspraxia , and thats only really Major motor, only really servre one with would be fine motor like Fingers, and you would of well known it by know, haha

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
My guess is that you're making the mistake of waiting to see the character's animation before you continue with your attack string. Treat your jumping attack and the following b121 as the same thing. Input it all together like you're typing a word on a keyboard, sending all the commands at once to the system, and then waiting to see the movements come out.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I'd say practice, as cliche as it is, but it's the only way. This is coming from someone who had ZERO knowledge of fighting games and no knowledge of how to combo...I didn't even know what OTG was until my friend told me (he's a UMvC3 player). Sub was my first main and I had some trouble just like you, but one I got it, the rest was pie.

As far as your JIP into a 212 string, well practice you jump in punch into the first move (being 2) and watch to see if it says "2 hits." If it does, then keep doing that to see how it feels. If your not getting a 2 hit combo off of a JIP~2 then keep trying until you do.

Once you get the consistent "2 hits" response upon combo, you should move to the 12 part of that combo and see if 4 hits pop up. That's my best suggestion and can really only recommend practicing yourself and with other people. Good luck, bud.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
The problem is not with you, it's with the game. The controls in Mk9 are clumsy, unresponsive, and imprecise. Sometimes it feels like walking through mud, it's that bad. Not to mention the infamous input bug. I recently started playing Soul Calibur V and wow, just WOW! The controls there are smooth, responsive, and crisp. It's a pleasure to play that game, while in MK9 it was a pain in the a$$ to pull off most moves and combos. Much better than in MK9, I am sad to say, since I love MK.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just practice your BnBs enough......you'll get down and beside your playing Sub-Zero,so chill out you'll get it.;)

Thank you all for your advice, but I've already figured it out myself with a little study of my finger movements and the mechanics. I figured that its a lot harder (at least for me) to start jip with 1 instead of 2. So I started doing it with 2. I also just quickly tap 2 and then hold back instead of just pressing it quickly. (perhaps my modded xbox 360 controller is part of the problem here). I practiced it again for an hour or so and then went to play extreme ladder.

I'm very pleased with the outcome. By pressing 2 instead of 1 for the jip and slightly holding back I get it done in most situations. However, I still have big problems with spacing because it happens to me that I cant space the jip correctly and in time (frozen opponent) if he is too far from me. I try dash jump and dash jump again but I still miss a lot.

I must also say that my fingers get tired after prolonged periods of playing, I feel like they even get kinda swollen and I have to stop playing after that. I feel that I'll have to start practicing some kind of rutine if I want to improve my motorical abilities (I've also always had problems with typing on a keyboard, I make a lot of mistakes when I type, I feel like that's connected to my problems in fighters also due to somewhat similar movement).

@Raidenwins: Yeah I totally get what you're saying and I agree, but it's still possible to be good at this game despite all that, otherwise nobody would even play it on tournaments and such.
On top of that, man I must say I'm really sensitive TBH, I have a bunch of problems with my fingers and my brain.

I find it extremely hard to play if hungry, if I'm too full, if my fingers are cold and if I didn't get enough sleep. Lol

but like @Mikemetroid said first, I find it extremely helpful if I just don't overthink things and if I don't get all overly analitic and perfectionist. It's hard for me because I tend to do it in live in general. For example: when I connect a simple cabel in anything, I tend to check at least 5 times before I start to use the device. It's a little trait I've had my whole life...

Thanks again for quick and excellent responses, I really didn't think you'll respond that fast. I love you guys! (no homo)

ps: sry for mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker.

I'd say practice, as cliche as it is, but it's the only way. This is coming from someone who had ZERO knowledge of fighting games and no knowledge of how to combo...I didn't even know what OTG was until my friend told me (he's a UMvC3 player). Sub was my first main and I had some trouble just like you, but one I got it, the rest was pie.

As far as your JIP into a 212 string, well practice you jump in punch into the first move (being 2) and watch to see if it says "2 hits." If it does, then keep doing that to see how it feels. If your not getting a 2 hit combo off of a JIP~2 then keep trying until you do.

Once you get the consistent "2 hits" response upon combo, you should move to the 12 part of that combo and see if 4 hits pop up. That's my best suggestion and can really only recommend practicing yourself and with other people. Good luck, bud.
Thanks man, but I already manage to do combos like jip into 212, 214 and 224. The problem is <-121. But I'm also starting to get better at this one too as I said earlier.

I'm also just now starting to figure out how hugely important it is to not spam block all the time as I used to. As a result, I could never get my other moves out in time and I always felt like I'm moving in mud as raiden wins said. But even though nobody told me this, I slowly started to be aware of that fact and improving it. Now I'm extremely happy whenever in get that down 4 out as quickly as djt (lol). But I still have big problems hit confirming and especially with spacing (I find it hard to balance between walking and dashing plus maintaning correct distance). My problem is also not knowing other characters and their strings plus frame rates. But I don't wanna go all offtopic here, so that's it for now.

True Grave

Thanks man, but I already manage to do combos like jip into 212, 214 and 224. The problem is <-121. But I'm also starting to get better at this one too as I said earlier.

I'm also just now starting to figure out how hugely important it is to not spam block all the time as I used to. As a result, I could never get my other moves out in time and I always felt like I'm moving in mud as raiden wins said. But even though nobody told me this, I slowly started to be aware of that fact and improving it. Now I'm extremely happy whenever in get that down 4 out as quickly as djt (lol). But I still have big problems hit confirming and especially with spacing (I find it hard to balance between walking and dashing plus maintaning correct distance). My problem is also not knowing other characters and their strings plus frame rates. But I don't wanna go all offtopic here, so that's it for now.
When you do a JIP with a back or forward starting string input, hold that direction and double tap. So for subs b121 you could hold back as you land the JIP and the input would be b1121 (holding back on both 11 inputs) I hope this helps and there is no right it wrong, just what's best for you.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?

whatever string you are using , ie : subs b121 , it starts with 1 so do your jump in with 2 , this should help you ... if you do his 212 string jump in with 1 :)

@IJS MrGotMerked: I just can't thank you enough man. Using your technique of holding back + double tapping 1 and then continue with 21 I am now able to land this simple bnb almost 100% of time.

Thanks man you seem like a very experienced member of the community, your advice is just perfect and couldn't be better! If there's anything that I can do for you just say it! :)
Now I just have to practice my combos a little more. I'm now familiar with all of the most viable sub midscreen and corner combos, I just still drop them sometimes, seems I just need a bit more practice. There's just thing that I don't understand, when watching pros like brady, djt, itd., they always do that midscreen combo with dash, <-12, 212, slide. But why don't they incorporate another hit with 1 after the dash. It's not that hard once you get the correct timing, I manage to hit it most of the time.

Plus another thing, does it also seem to you sometimes that it's easier to do combos from right to left than vice versa? Or maybe left to right (I'm left handed). I notice that I drop combos much more when doing them from left to right than the other way around. I guess it has something to do with halves of the brain and whether you're right or left handed. Never mind, thanks again MrGotMerked!!

This community is great, love u all!

@fr stack: Thanks man, that probably works best for you, but with me it's just the other way around. I find it much easier if I just do the jip with the same button string starts with. For example if doing jip 214 with sub, I just double tap 2 before closing with 14 (and hit-confirming with slide or a clone). I also find it the easiest to input 222 into iceball when I do that bnb combo starter with sub.

But thanks anyway for your opinion, like MrGotMerked said, everyone has their own preference.

True Grave

@IJS MrGotMerked: I just can't thank you enough man. Using your technique of holding back + double tapping 1 and then continue with 21 I am now able to land this simple bnb almost 100% of time.

Thanks man you seem like a very experienced member of the community, your advice is just perfect and couldn't be better! If there's anything that I can do for you just say it! :)
Now I just have to practice my combos a little more. I'm now familiar with all of the most viable sub midscreen and corner combos, I just still drop them sometimes, seems I just need a bit more practice. There's just thing that I don't understand, when watching pros like brady, djt, itd., they always do that midscreen combo with dash, <-12, 212, slide. But why don't they incorporate another hit with 1 after the dash. It's not that hard once you get the correct timing, I manage to hit it most of the time.

Plus another thing, does it also seem to you sometimes that it's easier to do combos from right to left than vice versa? Or maybe left to right (I'm left handed). I notice that I drop combos much more when doing them from left to right than the other way around. I guess it has something to do with halves of the brain and whether you're right or left handed. Never mind, thanks again MrGotMerked!!

This community is great, love u all!
Thanks for tooting my horn. I main Kabal, but started on sub so I know him well as a character. I find it easier to do combos going right then going left, but there's some tag combos that I prefer to go left with.

Just practice your bnbs on both sides and it'll become second nature to you. If you Xbox and want help/play just send a friend request to IJS MrGotMerked

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
To get to the frozen opponent on time... either just keep jumping or dash block into jump if you know what dash blocking is. Both are way faster than just a straight dash because of the recovery frames on a straight dash.