What's new

Question Am I alone in finding him really boring?

Firstly, let me just say I'm not hating. I'm not here to whinge about nerfs or how to get in, whatever.

My question is straight up, exactly as I put it.

Do you guys not find the *extreme* keep-away game seriously dull? Am I just doing it wrong? I jumpnshoot, they maybe get in, I draw for one of a couple of block strings ending in a MB set of guns to push them back and we do it again.

Unless they're Lantern in which case the grab seems to come out faster then the guns and leads to a third of my bar and a reset.

But I digress.

Yeah, I'm ok with him, but he's a negative experience for other players(and enough with this L2P, QQ noobs and whatever. If other players hate what you're doing, it's not good for the game), after a few games it feels really stale for me.

Am I alone in this or do Stroke players feel me and mix it up a bit? Or are Slades really a bunch of trolls that love hate messages?

You're saying that's what you did yeah? I'm honestly not clear on that XD

I've given him a real go though man, he's easily my most played character online and I once ran like a 33 streak on KoTH with him. It's just that playing as him involves lots of the same unexciting stuff from me, and lots of getting wound up from them. Might see if I can learn Raven. I know she's another nutty keepaway, but at least her stuff is a lot more interesting and flavourful than JUMPNSHOOT!!!

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
His moveset is not exclusively about zoning and keep away as he has some pretty good normals and perfectly adequate tools for applying basic offence as well. I play zoning/spacing/keep-away/punishment/counter hit- oriented characters in every FG I play. I love conditioning people to do what I want them to do and blowing them up for pressing buttons.

Hating on any particular playstyle or characters in FG's is what's not good for fighting games. It's what creates animosity between the players and makes everybody who is not so well informed on how to deal with x character, jump on the "nerf x character" bandwagon when they find others possessing the same scrub mentality instead of working on how to deal with x character. FG's would become truly boring if all good tools characters possess would be nerfed and dumbed down to accommodate the casual player.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
His moveset is not exclusively about zoning and keep away as he has some pretty good normals and perfectly adequate tools for applying basic offence as well. I play zoning/spacing/keep-away/punishment/counter hit- oriented characters in every FG I play. I love conditioning people to do what I want them to do and blowing them up for pressing buttons.

Hating on any particular playstyle or characters in FG's is what's not good for fighting games. It's what creates animosity between the players and makes everybody who is not so well informed on how to deal with x character, jump on the "nerf x character" bandwagon when they find others possessing the same scrub mentality instead of working on how to deal with x character. FG's would become truly boring if all good tools characters possess would be nerfed and dumbed down to accommodate the casual player.
noone mentioned nerf. just that hes boring. which he is.

Error

DF2+R2
Many players (not me) don't care about having fun, they just play to win. Others find it fun to frustrate the opponent with zoning. I try to find a balance between both.

I largely agree, but I get the feeling you didn't exactly read much past the thread title my friend.

I don't think he should be nerfed or dumbed down, relax son, nobody is taking your cookies away. I'm not hating on DS or the players because at least by numbers I pretty much am one, and I wouldn't say I'm a scrub, assuming you can dig it that 'casual =/= scrub'.

However, he does not have adequate tools and decent normals. Everything can be called good if the other guy isn't blocking, punishing, counter-attacking or responding in any way.

But that's completely fine, if he could do all things better than all characters there'd be no point in playing anybody else would there? Doesn't mean that I enjoy boring things.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I largely agree, but I get the feeling you didn't exactly read much past the thread title my friend.

I don't think he should be nerfed or dumbed down, relax son, nobody is taking your cookies away. I'm not hating on DS or the players because at least by numbers I pretty much am one, and I wouldn't say I'm a scrub, assuming you can dig it that 'casual =/= scrub'.

However, he does not have adequate tools and decent normals. Everything can be called good if the other guy isn't blocking, punishing, counter-attacking or responding in any way.

But that's completely fine, if he could do all things better than all characters there'd be no point in playing anybody else would there? Doesn't mean that I enjoy boring things.
I wasn't really replying to your entire post yes, but expressing my opinion in general and what caught my eye in particular:

"he's a negative experience for other players(and enough with this L2P, QQ noobs and whatever. If other players hate what you're doing, it's not good for the game"

I have to disagree with this. Everybody playing FG's needs to learn how to deal with characters they hate. Beating characters one dislikes is definitely a fun and rewarding experience.

Edit: f2,3 is a 7 frame mid that leaves DS at frame advantage on block. D1-sword spin leaves you at a frame advantage and allows some basic offence for throw setups or another f2,3 in the corner. you can also just walk back after some of his normals get blocked and punish counterpokes. His normals are not suited for range 0 rushdown, but they are good enough considering how good his ranged tools are.

"Boring" is completely subjective.
It's not completely subjective.

I don't doubt that there are smartasses in this world that will tell you they find repetition just riveting, but that's because they don't know the difference between meditatively theraputic grinding and interesting or exciting, not to mention the spectator and style element and enjoyment for the other party.

I get the feeling you're a big fan of Crosswords and Chris G =3

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I find him fun because it's the first game where I mained a zoning character. I like being able to be the one to not struggle getting in. (Talking 'bout dat pre-patch Reptile vs Kano MU in MK9)

I have to disagree with this. Everybody playing FG's needs to learn how to deal with characters they hate. Beating characters one dislikes is definitely a fun and rewarding experience.
"Everyone needs to enjoy all fighting games in the exact same way and for the same reasons I do."

You're not going to change the fact that Slade is a complete groaner. You just know that when you pick him, the other guy is thinking "FFS..." not because he's scared of how elite you are, but because he knows this game is going to be a slog win or lose. In board and card gaming they call things like that NPEs- Negative Play Experiences.

You may think your fighting games are superior when they're being played exclusively by an elite cadre of complete reamers, but that mentality leads to games being bought and played by very few and then they won't get made at all and there will be people like yourself wondering what happened and why nobody is buying these good games.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
It's not completely subjective.

I don't doubt that there are smartasses in this world that will tell you they find repetition just riveting, but that's because they don't know the difference between meditatively theraputic grinding and interesting or exciting, not to mention the spectator and style element and enjoyment for the other party.

I get the feeling you're a big fan of Crosswords and Chris G =3
You can't play "repetitively" against good players. I will not play a single match in Injustice vs randoms at lobbies or ranked because they most certainly will not offer any challenge what so ever and allow me to beat them with basic DS zoning. I'll only play with TYM members and other people I know to have an intelligent approach to playing fighting games. As for "enjoyment for the other party" part, I'll instantly unfriend people on my PSN who ragequit and complain. As simple as that.

I don't like crosswords or Chris G/Marvel. I am a fan of Koreans playing Mishimas in Tekken though. This was a simple debate/discussion about something game related until you started making assumptions about my personality. I will not start this shit, as it leads to nothing but insults.

Daaaaw. Didn't mean to hurt your feels there brah. I respect you bro.

But you don't play online. That explains a lot.

Maybe you should do that and then come back to me with opinions based on something completely different. This is a little bit like you're a vegetarian arguing with me about burgers.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
Let's be honest guys.

Deathstroke killed off a lot of our online community. On PSN I'm only finding about 300-350 players in player rooms. Mk still had 500+ players in player rooms at this point in its lifespan. Then again, I may not be playing at peak times.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Daaaaw. Didn't mean to hurt your feels there brah. I respect you bro.

But you don't play online. That explains a lot.

Maybe you should do that and then come back to me with opinions based on something completely different. This is a little bit like you're a vegetarian arguing with me about burgers.
I do play online, but only with an exclusive group of people. This is a competitive fighting game forum you just joined last tuesday. Most people here couldn't care less about casual Joes getting their jimmies rustled by legitimate strategies.

I do play online, but only with an exclusive group of people.
For someone that takes himself as seriously as you do facetiousness is probably below you.

I wonder if anybody else is going to back DS, or if we're just going to assume that he's enjoyed by elitists with no time for us dirty casuals XD

Crathen

Death is my business
Keepaway isn't an exciting play style, it's not meant to be fun, it's based on annoying you and make you do stupid shit.
If a majority of players find it boring then so be it, I'm not going to explain why I enjoying keeping you out and the mind games behind it.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2

RYX

BIG PUSHER
People online in MK hate Reptile. Obv's bad for the game. Don't even get me started on how cheap Kano is. :rolleyes:

QQ on the inside and don't use him if you don't like him.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
I find Deathstroke extremely boring when playing against my friends or people I know online who are good at the game, but Deathstroke is the funnest character in the game when playing scrubs. I sit back and just wait for the hatemail to come in, that is the only time I find that character fun.

Vagrant

Noob
I thought he was a little dry my first few days playing him.

Since developing his upclose game at a high level this past week, I think he's the most fun in the game to play.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I play Deathstroke because he's the most fun character in the entire game for me. Simple as that.

In every fighting game I have ever played, I have LOVED keepaway characters. In Mortal Kombat I mained Kitana, with skills in Stryker, Kabal, and Skarlet. In UMvC3, I played Deadpool/MODOK/Doom, and in an obscure fighting game called Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, I played Megaman and Saki (a girl with a gun).

I gravitate towards keepaway play, and there's no law preventing me from liking it. I enjoy the safety of sitting behind a wall of projectiles. I enjoy having offense from full screen. It's just a matter of taste. You can call rushdown more fun, but I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree with you. Keepaway involves reading your opponent and taking advantage of impatience while staying safe. There's a depth to it that I find fascinating.

But even outside of that, Deathstroke (as well as my other mentioned mains) do have another page in their book. He can actually fight up close, even though most non-dedicated DS players believe otherwise. I just love the idea of a character so well rounded that he can fight from full screen as well as make money up close. It's an enjoyable quality for me.

Sure he might piss off scrub players, and sure I find it hilarious, but this game had the intention of appealing to the competetive scene. Thats why that one guy from NRS basically said they weren't nerfing DS. They dont care about the whining casuals because this game is meant to be competetive, and from a competetive standpoint, their view of "fun" just doesnt matter.