What's new

Strategy - Goro AI vs Goro: A Primer

BBSKVLLZ

Noob
Hey everyone!

Thought i'd share my experience with dealing with the AI with Goro; turns out, there's a pretty basic formula for CRUSHING the AI in all of the One Player settings. Here's the breakdown:

MAIN CHARACTER STARTEGY:

Round Start - Initiate 121 xx bf4 to start block pressure; the AI will either:
A) jump crossover combo (which must be blocked) - after the AI's turn is over, d1 xx bf4 to initiate block pressure. This will cause the AI to crouch block; follow up with exbf4 (The AI will always try to poke after a blocked punchwalk) into full combo ending in command grab.
B) Crouch block punchwalk; follow up with exbf4 (The AI will always try to poke after a blocked punchwalk) into full combo ending in command grab.

Midscreen (Post Command Grab) - After the hard knockdown from command grab, Goro's new and improved speed will allow him to run right up to the AI and input 121 xx bf4 (121 must be started while AI is still on the ground; you can also initiate just punchwalk for the same effect) the AI will either:
A) Get hit by the sting; do NOT meterburn into full combo; simply run up and 121 xx bf4 (This will build more meter and is basically free damage) - this will cause AI to crouch block; follow up with exbf4 (The AI will always try to poke after a blocked punchwalk) into full combo ending in command grab.
B) Crouch block punchwalk; follow up with exbf4 (The AI will always try to poke after a blocked punchwalk) into full combo ending in command grab.

If you run out of meter post punchwalk, simply d3 xx bf4 to build meter until you can re execute the main strategy.

Corner Game - Same as Midscreen strategy

CHARACTER/VARIATION SPECIFIC STRATEGIES:

Kano (Commando): Replace all 121 xx bf4 strings with d4 xx bf4 - this will counter the AI's tendency to wakeup parry (Kano still has the low parry but the AI will typically only use it while standing, not on wakeup).

Liu Kang (Flame Fist): Replace all 121 xx bf4 strings with d4 xx bf4 - this will counter the AI's tendency to wakeup parry.

Kitana (Assassin): Replace all 121 xx bf4 strings with d4 xx bf4 - this will counter the AI's tendency to wakeup parry.

Goro vs. AI Goro: AI Goro is completely baffled by stomp and ex stomp; start the round with ex du (This will land every time) - follow up with du, du, du, du, du.......
Kuatan Warrior- If the AI is using Kuatan Warrior, it will sometimes wakeup with chest lunge to counteract stomp. In this case the main character strategy still applies to AI Goro.

Corrupted Shinnok: Start round with ex du (This will land every time). Follow up with ex bf4; the AI will wakeup grab, which allows you a full combo follow up. From here simply execute main character strategy. Corrupted Shinnok has no fast pokes; this allows Goro to basically d3 after any blocked punchwalk safely and on hit initiate 121 xx punchwalk.

To compliment this strategy I've included a video going through the klassic tower with Goro on very hard (no variation):

This isn't meant to be the end-all for AI strategy but any additional strategies, thoughts, and comments are welcome; thanks for reading!

I don't main him, but I always use Goro against faction bosses. For some reason the AI just can NOT handle stomp, and will even sometimes stop blocking in the middle of punchwalk. Plus, punchwalk and command grab are great for wasting time on the clock.

It's really weird. The AI is always kind of off against DLC characters but Goro was developed at the same time as the rest of the cast, right? I don't get it.