What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Mileena advice against kitana's NJP

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
i usually can beat a majority of kitana players but i think i've met my match with this one. i've played this guy a couple of times but he manages to always beat me by doing this same tech on me.

(i'm calling it air hover cause idk the moves name)

this is how it goes..

he jumps, air hover, NJP

jumps in, air hovers, NJP

JUMPS IN AGAIN, AIR HOVERS AGAIN & NJP AGAIN.

so i went to practice mode & copied his exact tech on record.

now you probably think the best thing to do is uppercut on reaction.. oh wait it whiffs and she whiff punishes you too

how about NJP her before she NJP'S you? it works sometimes but most of the time she hit before i did & sometimes mines would completely whiff.

how about teleporting ? well it depends.. if your playing footsies & a good distance from kitana yes it'll work but if kitana does a hard knock down and does the NJP it's going to hit you.

how about blocking? well NJP leaves her at a good amount of + on block if she does the NJP correctly.

how about a simple ball roll? tried that each time & she hits me every time

i mean this is what i've tried & ive completely ran out of ideas. so to my fellow players i need advice kthanks<3

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
block the njp? if you do get hit with b+2 you're free to back dash and then go back to play neutral? If she tries float in neutral you're free to b+1 her

Also is this tech used for oki?

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Question: is he hovering directly above you, or is he hovering as soon as he leaves the ground?

If the answer is directly above you, which I'm assuming is the case since your D2 is whiffing, ball roll is nearly impossible to NJP this way. At best, your roll connects and you convert into full combo. At worst, both the NJP and the roll whiffs, leaving Kitana mid-screen. Then it's back to neutral.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Method 1: AA it.
Method2: Block it.
Method3: Armor through
Method4: Duck it
Method5: Backdash it
Method6: Run underneath
Universal Method: Gitgud.

Honestly, it really depends on what you're doing when you eat the njp. A lot of the time they'll do it as oki or when you're vulnerable and then the answer is not what you do AGAINST it but what you did wrong to get into that situation.

iMileena

Question: is he hovering directly above you, or is he hovering as soon as he leaves the ground?

If the answer is directly above you, which I'm assuming is the case since your D2 is whiffing, ball roll is nearly impossible to NJP this way. At best, your roll connects and you convert into full combo. At worst, both the NJP and the roll whiffs, leaving Kitana mid-screen. Then it's back to neutral.

yes he's right above my head after he knocks me down or i'm zoning and jumps over my projectile.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
i usually can beat a majority of kitana players but i think i've met my match with this one. i've played this guy a couple of times but he manages to always beat me by doing this same tech on me.

(i'm calling it air hover cause idk the moves name)

this is how it goes..

he jumps, air hover, NJP

jumps in, air hovers, NJP

JUMPS IN AGAIN, AIR HOVERS AGAIN & NJP AGAIN.

so i went to practice mode & copied his exact tech on record.

now you probably think the best thing to do is uppercut on reaction.. oh wait it whiffs and she whiff punishes you too

how about NJP her before she NJP'S you? it works sometimes but most of the time she hit before i did & sometimes mines would completely whiff.

how about teleporting ? well it depends.. if your playing footsies & a good distance from kitana yes it'll work but if kitana does a hard knock down and does the NJP it's going to hit you.

how about blocking? well NJP leaves her at a good amount of + on block if she does the NJP correctly.

how about a simple ball roll? tried that each time & she hits me every time

i mean this is what i've tried & ive completely ran out of ideas. so to my fellow players i need advice kthanks<3
Backdash

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
yes he's right above my head after he knocks me down or i'm zoning and jumps over my projectile.
If he's doing it as you're getting up, roll for the reasons stated above. Backdash is also a good option.

When you say he uses it after jumping over a projectile, it raises more questions. For one thing, in order for him to jump over a projectile AND be above your head, you must be throwing sais at realitively close range. Not a good idea.

At mid screen, immediately after throwing a sai, you need to be buffering telekick. If he jumps, press 3 and he get's AA'ed into full combo. I have no idea why a Kitana player would even attempt to float~NJP at this range as it puts them directly in front of you and increases the probability of whiffing. With the new patch he "could" use JIP instead, but then why float first?

Basically, work on your spacing. This MU is still tough for Kitana when the Mileena player plays it smart and patient.

iMileena

If he's doing it as you're getting up, roll for the reasons stated above. Backdash is also a good option.

When you say he uses it after jumping over a projectile, it raises more questions. For one thing, in order for him to jump over a projectile AND be above your head, you must be throwing sais at realitively close range. Not a good idea.

At mid screen, immediately after throwing a sai, you need to be buffering telekick. If he jumps, press 3 and he get's AA'ed into full combo. I have no idea why a Kitana player would even attempt to float~NJP at this range as it puts them directly in front of you and increases the probability of whiffing. With the new patch he "could" use JIP instead, but then why float first?

Basically, work on your spacing. This MU is still tough for Kitana when the Mileena player plays it smart and patient.
thanks be the advice ^_^ lol i think my frustration was getting to me and made me very nervous & confused on what to do. i think backdashing is my best option

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I actually do that a lot of oki, it's really hard to get of you have to spend a bar
Neutral best answer is just backdash, if he jumps and then does float it's fraudulent and just jab him worst case scenario you eat a fan best case you get a full juggle

For a second I thought this was the rising fans canceled into the ex float, which im still not sure if there's a method to beat it. Although the general opinion is to backdash there, might be the same answer to your question, backdash.