What's new

Advanced block mechanic idea.

umrishka

Noob
We are all love Mortal Kombat game for gore, cinematics and fun.
And we want more of it.
We want to feel like a djedai or kung-fu master playing MK, or like participating battle scenes from "Matrix", where characters can actually avoid hits while dodging.
So let's don't beat about the bush.
The game needs advanced block mechanics.
You are getting chip damage holding block button and you have to get it even more.
But, you should be able to avoid any hit just like at background battle on "The Pit" map in MKX.
How?
For example you are ready to be poked by Sub Zero's d4.
It's 9 frames.
So, holding block button and pressing 4 while poke is active should run a dodging animation.
Just imaging you are guessing right whole string of hits of an opponent, pressing right buttons to avoid them, time is getting slower like in an action movie, and in the end you can do EX or perry and start your attack.
Sounds great imo.
More motivation for skilled players to learn how to defence right.
More fun during mashing for casual players.
More cinematics.
More gore.
Let me know what you think guys! Cheers.

Wigy

There it is...
And we want more of it.
We want to feel like a djedai or kung-fu master playing MK, or like participating battle scenes from "Matrix", where characters can actually avoid hits while dodging.
You are getting chip damage holding block button and you have to get it even more.
But, you should be able to avoid any hit just like at background battle on "The Pit" map in MKX.
How?
It's 9 frames.
So, holding block button and pressing 4 while poke is active should run a dodging animation.
Just imaging you are guessing right whole string of hits of an opponent, pressing right buttons to avoid them, time is getting slower like in an action movie, and in the end you can do EX or perry and start your attack.
Sounds great imo.
More cinematics.
More gore.
This would totally shut down rushdown characters who are heavily reliant on some strings.

There is enough defence mechanics, some characters just need a better backdash.

Jc has plus +4 after exfb and can only reach with his f3, this would effectively make his ex fireball half useless with no risk

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
This would totally shut down rushdown characters who are heavily reliant on some strings.

Like Leatherface. Leatherface would love a better backdash. Also Kenshi would like one I'd think

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
This idea sounds like that came out of boxing principles. You block with your left, and at the same time you attack with your right. Sounds like a countermeasure tech there.

Reactions: GAV

umrishka

Noob

Jc has plus +4 after exfb and can only reach with his f3, this would effectively make his ex fireball half useless with no risk
Not sure my idea is possible in this version of a game, since it needs new animation system. Rushdown characters may have really fast strings requiring godlike skill to avoit hits.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Ok so you sit in neutral holding block pressing buttons.... where's the risk?

The whole idea is flawed if all you have to do is hold block and an animation kicks in automatically if the criteria is met. Attacker assumes all th risk while the defender does not. It's bad game design, plain and simple.

A balanced approach would be a sidestep with recovery (Smash), moves you out of a defensive position (3rd Strike parries), or loses outright to a particular move type (horizontal attacks, Soul Calibur).

umrishka

Noob
Ok so you sit in neutral holding block pressing buttons.... where's the risk?

The whole idea is flawed if all you have to do is hold block and an animation kicks in automatically if the criteria is met. Attacker assumes all th risk while the defender does not. It's bad game design, plain and simple.

A balanced approach would be a sidestep with recovery (Smash), moves you out of a defensive position (3rd Strike parries), or loses outright to a particular move type (horizontal attacks, Soul Calibur).
It makes sense. The dodging may require stamina or meter.

And we want more of it.
How?
It's 9 frames.
Sounds great imo.
More cinematics.
More gore.
remembers me of fighters destiny which just had a dodge button lol. just hold it down and you get your blaze vs hornbuckle.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
It makes sense. The dodging may require stamina or meter.
You're still missing the fundamental aspect of risk/reward. There's no cost for the defender if he fails.

From how you describe the dodge only comes out in the case there's a poke out on the screen. This costs the defender meter/stamina but allows the opportunity to bypass neutral completely, and again from how you describe, punish their poke attempt or begin offense. So in this case the attacker assumes all risk because nothing happens if the defender fails in his attempt at a sidestep.

Also consider the following; say you have a footsie based character and a heavy offense character that thrives in close but poor neutral. This mechanic directly favors the latter by allowing that character to skip over the equalizing factor of the match up which is using good footsies to minimize his opportunity to get in. Good universal game mechanics should not favor a particular character archetype but benefit each in its own way.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Like Leatherface. Leatherface would love a better backdash. Also Kenshi would like one I'd think
Kenshi running away better sounds like a terrible idea to me. Blind men don't parkour. Plus, he's already annoying.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Kenshi running away better sounds like a terrible idea to me.
Hey man, I'm not saying it's a good idea, i'm just saying those characters would LOVE a better backdash due to their current ones being ASS...seriously tho #BuffLF'sBackdash

GAV

Hey man, I'm not saying it's a good idea, i'm just saying those characters would LOVE a better backdash due to their current ones being ASS...seriously tho #BuffLF'sBackdash
Doesn't everyone already hate Kenshi enough already?

umrishka

Noob
You're still missing the fundamental aspect of risk/reward. There's no cost for the defender if he fails.

From how you describe the dodge only comes out in the case there's a poke out on the screen. This costs the defender meter/stamina but allows the opportunity to bypass neutral completely, and again from how you describe, punish their poke attempt or begin offense. So in this case the attacker assumes all risk because nothing happens if the defender fails in his attempt at a sidestep.

Also consider the following; say you have a footsie based character and a heavy offense character that thrives in close but poor neutral. This mechanic directly favors the latter by allowing that character to skip over the equalizing factor of the match up which is using good footsies to minimize his opportunity to get in. Good universal game mechanics should not favor a particular character archetype but benefit each in its own way.
I mentioned that chip damage should be still solid. So you feel when the opponent touches you. Don't you think the situation, when you are getting chip damage and just die is not fair? I do think so. One more moment. The block animation is just obsolete in my opinion. All you do is holding a button and trying to guess overhead/low options like years ago. It should be more variative, since modern technology allows to do it.

GAV

I personally like Kenshi and Possessed is in a great position. People are always gonna be salty tho ya know?
When Kenshi is any good, he is the very definition of a braindead character.

Players play him blindfolded - and they aren't that much worse than when they can see.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
When Kenshi is any good, he is the very definition of a braindead character.

Players play him blindfolded - and they aren't that much worse than when they can see.
If I ever be a blind person, I'll play Kenshi straight on.