What's new

Adding More Depth To MK

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I'd like it pretty damn similar to mk9 without any radical departures. In my opinion they need to forget tag and concentrate on tweaks to the existing cast with perhaps the removal of some of the less popular characters and adding a few new ones.

Better netcode obviously with some kind of tournament option.

No push block or anything weird. Perhaps invincible backdashes to make crossovers less powerful and getting out of pressure etc.

Oh and friendships. Yeah that would be cool.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Freddy, Kenshi, and Kabal were not problems?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I...never said they weren't. The way he worded it, it seemed like zoning was still a problem, even after stating it wasn't.

THTB

Perhaps invincible backdashes to make crossovers less powerful and getting out of pressure etc.
Why are people suggesting this addition, while ignoring how this would work with the dash system how it currently is...?

...Kabal, Kenshi and Freddy were the only 3 characters who could even win matches by playing keepaway. Most other distance characters were mid tier or worse.

I understand your dislike for keepaway...but it already wasn't a problem.
Yeah I said they need to make it a bit less like it was a problem but not a very big one but they can still make it slower since mk is not like sf projetile doesn't hit the other projectile that's why they need 2 nerf it just a bit

THTB

Yeah I said they need to make it a bit less like it was a problem but not a very big one but they can still make it slower since mk is not like sf projetile doesn't hit the other projectile that's why they need 2 nerf it just a bit
If you were to take MK9 as it stands and slow down the projectiles even further, there would be no point of projectiles for some keepaway characters in the first place. Sure, nerf Kenshi and Kabal's zoning. In all truth, their zoning games lend themselves to shutting down a lot of characters. Freddy is very good, and it has to do with his zoning, but he's probably as high as he is because of the offensive things he has alongside this (not as good as Kabal, but 40+% on an unfuzzyable, safe 50/50 isn't exactly nothing to scoff at).

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
Fuck dash cancelling, i want mkdc run and run cancelling, also backdash should have invincible frames, and MKDC pro moves for god's sake ;____; , plzzzz Ed Boon, i don't want an easy fighting game ;_____;. Casual players can fuck off cuz they just mash the buttons and do fatalities, competitive players want a hard fighting game so they can learn and play it seriously.

If you were to take MK9 as it stands and slow down the projectiles even further, there would be no point of projectiles for some keepaway characters in the first place. Sure, nerf Kenshi and Kabal's zoning. In all truth, their zoning games lend themselves to shutting down a lot of characters. Freddy is very good, and it has to do with his zoning, but he's probably as high as he is because of the offensive things he has alongside this (not as good as Kabal, but 40+% on an unfuzzyable, safe 50/50 isn't exactly nothing to scoff at).
Exactly bro I mean don't make mk10 zone like kenshi/kabal I'm kool with the others and freddy too only lower damage then freddy so if the zone is like freddy's zone that's cool

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Why are people suggesting this addition, while ignoring how this would work with the dash system how it currently is...?
Hence perhaps. I don't know how to best implement it, only that something in that area needs to change.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only thing MK10 needs is character variety. It's instant depth while keeping MK's formula intact.

What if some characters didn't deal or take chip damage, but had really awesome hitstun for reset and mix-up potential (think Ermac's 3 2 1)? What if some characters could jump higher than others? What if each character had their own unique super meter (what if you could choose between 3 different types of super meters)? What if some characters didn't have a backdash and/or did lower damage, but they had a run button for insane rushdown? What if some characters had projectiles that *gasp* TRADED?

There's so many possibilities for the character variety in MK. Core aspects of MK9 SHOULD STAY THE SAME. NRS has hit the jackpot with MK9's core mechanics and they shouldn't mess with them much. Block button, 2D plane, trading projectiles (besides the 1 or 2 aforementioned special characters obviously), the combo system, etc. NRS has always experimented with the core aspects of the gameplay, but they're never really dived into how each character could truly be different. This is what they attempted in MK9 and more so with Injustice, so why not go all the way this time?

Obviously balancing all of this would be a huge task, but this is a simple solution to both adding depth and keeping MK "easy to learn, hard to master". I really don't see why you would want to do anything else.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Because backdashing from Kabal's NDC's would be a better option since backdshes can also be canceled. Maybe not that big of a deal, but it's something. Another good option for deffensive chars would be a quick special like Reptile's dash or Kenshi's shoulder that gave a hard knockdown at half/full screen. If Reptile's dash were to be safe now he'd be in the upper tiers.

THTB

Because backdashing from Kabal's NDC's would be a better option since backdshes can also be canceled. Maybe not that big of a deal, but it's something. Another good option for deffensive chars would be a quick special like Reptile's dash or Kenshi's shoulder that gave a hard knockdown at half/full screen. If Reptile's dash were to be safe now he'd be in the upper tiers.
Think about how that affects everyone, though, not just dealing with NDC pressure. It actually would make Kabal even more frustrating to play, because it's already a struggle for a number of characters to advance on him. Adding another option like that to his footsies to force out whiffs would be absurd.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It sounds like people are trying to add stuff to MK9:

"Well Kabal is brokem in MK9 so if he had this in MK10 he'd be Reaaaally broken or let's change his meter to compensate".

No. I have a better idea: How about making MK10 instead of MK9.1. This means:

-No ridiculous overpowered movesets against characters that have few options
-No silly game-breakers that give a couple of the cast a major advantage over everyone else
-No 80, 90, 100, 150% guaranteed resets
-Don't give up on balancing the game; make periodic updates even if they are on a yearly basis a la SF (because balance needs to evolve as the gameplay evolves)
-Make the frame data make sense rather than giving a few characters the tools to mash the rest of the cast out up close and shafting others. (Same for the damage output)
-Etc.

Then instead of saying "well Cyrax would be broken if the game had invincible backdashes", you can now actually give all the characters tools that make sense, and not have to worry that Kabal has to be S++ tier and be able to run away and put two GB's on the screen at any given time.

MK10 should be it's own game. MK9 has already been made; Ed Boon rarely does the same thing twice anyway. Take the good things from MK9, but don't act like it's an untouchable golden lamb in the history of fighting games. If Ed+co. hadn't drastically improved upon MK vs. DC, you wouldn't have MK9.. So what will happen if the take the time to actually dig up the roots and significantly improve MK9's foundation on a fundamental level? We could be looking at an all-time great and a new level of significance for MK.

Wigy

There it is...
Right. I'm guna go ahead and say why does everybody hate on tag. Sure its not like super competitive but it definitely adds a level of playability to the game that is worth spending time on. Messing around with friends on tag xbox live is prolly what i've spent most time doing, i can't imagine it takes them a huge time to make it either. Just laziness if they don't.

I believe attacking should be rewarded more than defensing. I don't want a game with a player stay blocking all the time, or waiting the opponent to make a move just to react, and be rewarded for that. Therefore I would like MK10 with the following features:

- Block chip stays as MK9.
- No defense meter that is building by blocking. I mean wtf are we gonna be rewarded for blocking now? This is not survivor this is a fight. You are suppose to attack. You only need to block to avoid high damage and have the opportunity to attack later.
- AAs should not be OP. For example AA normal should be beaten by air kick like in MK9. AA specials should't be combo starters.
- More frames of recovery on parrys to make them all fully punishable. Except maybe parrys that are only for projectiles (these should not be punishable).
- If the game has a push block, the meter it requires should be the same as the meter required for breaker.

Other than that:

- No run button.
- Dash cancel is awesome.
- All d1,d3,d4 have frame advantage on hit.
- Weapon mode does not sound like a bad idea.
- Armor for most characters except for the zoning characters, but if blocked is punishable.
- Block button is needed. MK games always had a block button and MK10 WILL have a block button. Get over it. Why? Simply because of the teleports! :)

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
I believe attacking should be rewarded more than defensing. I don't want a game with a player stay blocking all the time, or waiting the opponent to make a move just to react, and be rewarded for that. Therefore I would like MK10 with the following features:

- Block chip stays as MK9.
- No defense meter that is building by blocking. I mean wtf are we gonna be rewarded for blocking now? This is not survivor this is a fight. You are suppose to attack. You only need to block to avoid high damage and have the opportunity to attack later.
- AAs should not be OP. For example AA normal should be beaten by air kick like in MK9. AA specials should't be combo starters.
- More frames of recovery on parrys to make them all fully punishable. Except maybe parrys that are only for projectiles (these should not be punishable).
- If the game has a push block, the meter it requires should be the same as the meter required for breaker.

Other than that:

- No run button.
- Dash cancel is awesome.
- All d1,d3,d4 have frame advantage on hit.
- Weapon mode does not sound like a bad idea.
- Armor for most characters except for the zoning characters, but if blocked is punishable.
- Block button is needed. MK games always had a block button and MK10 WILL have a block button. Get over it. Why? Simply because of the teleports! :)

*Massive facepalm*

Element_

The First Element
Fuck dash cancelling, i want mkdc run and run cancelling, also backdash should have invincible frames, and MKDC pro moves for god's sake ;____; , plzzzz Ed Boon, i don't want an easy fighting game ;_____;. Casual players can fuck off cuz they just mash the buttons and do fatalities, competitive players want a hard fighting game so they can learn and play it seriously.
I used to love being able to run at my opponent , I felt like I could rush people down more in MK vs DC , but on the other hand..i like dash block too.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Kitana, mileena, jade ,scorpion, night wolf should have weapon stances. And the rest should have like a raven or GL like stance.

can we please talk about how i predicted some of the "new" mk11 mechanics way back in 2013?

mk has more depth now, huh?
that was my vision, kids!!

@16 Bit
"flawless defense" is the wrong name for that mechanic! it should be "takuma's defense"
;D