What's new

A serious confession

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
ive played around 700 ranked matches and after a while ive grown zen like reflexes to tech grabs

in all seriousness when u get grabbed theres a pretty generous window to input your tech button

Something's holding me back in this game and it's driving me nuts. I think in all other respects my gameplay is well rounded, except for one fatal flaw.

I SUCK BALLS at teching grabs on reaction. I need help, i set the training dummy to alternate between string and grab and it's hard as shit for me to do consistently to where i am afraid to do it in matches i have to resort to hard reads.

How are the tip top players so good at it?
Are they just making crazy good reads?
Do i just have old man reactions now that i'm later in my 20's?
Do i need monster energy drinks?
Do i need beta blockers?

Any solution would be nice.
Alot of people delay tech , so in a situation where you have to guess grab or not you do a delayed d3/d4 or d1 , whatever direction you think they'll throw you you do either of those pokes , if they grab you get a tech if you did the right poke , if they dont and try to shimmy or something then the pokes would come out , this is character/situation dependent obviously but its applicable in alot of situations

also "Reaction Trainer" app on android I find really useful...started using it for a few rounds before actually picking up the controller (a few rounds takes MAYBE 5 minutes) and find that it helps...plus you can use it anywhere and it works both hands if you hold the phone like your controller...also its kinda fun

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I find throws eat up my down pokes so often. I try to D2 in anticipation of a throw and get Kounter throw instead. Feels bad.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
For me it depends on the matchup. It's fairly easy for me to tech against Liu Kang as it's either staggers or throws I need to be on the lookout for. Sonya and Sub-Zero have a lot of options up close so I guess it's just the feeling of pressure when certain characters are up close. There's of course the infamous online factor in this but I think the window is pretty generous. I mean it's not Tekken, but throws in this game don't deal 30-45% each time either so it's all good

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
There's a benefit to not being forced to read a throw and just playing defensively and reacting?
What benefit in this game is that exactly?
Because as it stands...... there is very little. If your'e trying to train yourself to react to tech... why not just do the better reaction and just let go of block?

Why settle for a quarter when you can have 100 dollars?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I just mash d2 like a boss. If you eat a bunch of pokes or even a kombo or two, it just takes 1 d2 kb to even things up or take the lead.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Because as it stands...... there is very little. If your'e trying to train yourself to react to tech... why not just do the better reaction and just let go of block?

You can’t react to a throw and neutral duck, lol. You can only make a read that they will throw, then neutral duck and hope you’re right.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Not only reacting, but learning to anticipate situations where you can be tick thrown will help you alot

Dude the grab is 10 frames, there is no way you could train yourself to react and crouch to that you have to make a read. Reacting to tech because there is a window after that 10 frames is realistic and lends to reactionary playstyle. I shouldn't have to explain this.