What's new

A serious confession

Something's holding me back in this game and it's driving me nuts. I think in all other respects my gameplay is well rounded, except for one fatal flaw.

I SUCK BALLS at teching grabs on reaction. I need help, i set the training dummy to alternate between string and grab and it's hard as shit for me to do consistently to where i am afraid to do it in matches i have to resort to hard reads.

How are the tip top players so good at it?
Are they just making crazy good reads?
Do i just have old man reactions now that i'm later in my 20's?
Do i need monster energy drinks?
Do i need beta blockers?

Any solution would be nice.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I have the exact same issue and it's making my defence fall apart. My problem is I can react to throws but only with the button my thumb is already on, I can never consciously change my tech. I was actually going to practice this exact same thing today.

What I react to is not being in control of my character, It's easy for me to get a tech, whether right or wrong, 90% of the time when I'm reacting to that cue.

I have the exact same issue and it's making my defence fall apart. My problem is I can react to throws but only with the button my thumb is already on, I can never consciously change my tech. I was actually going to practice this exact same thing today.

What I react to is not being in control of my character, It's easy for me to get a tech, whether right or wrong, 90% of the time when I'm reacting to that cue.
i might need more reps and need to do it when i have more energy.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Fun fact, they actually nerfed by reducing the grab frames on release block by 2 frames, so everyone can release guard to avoid throws on reactions far more, yet it might still catch you off guard.
Fun fact number 2, top players were already teching most of the throws anyway.

However there is a trick in this game that applies to mostly everything, something i'm marinating on in the past few days that makes me think how much of a depth this game is, you don't actually need to be holding guard at every single moment in match, sure its a reflex that comes from past NRS games and other games, but this one i particular if you block exactly on reaction and you end up not holding guard often there is so much more you can actually do with when it comes down to defense, and by this i mean, throws, staggers, meaties, you name it.

Once i know exactly what and when to look for, i might actually come to a conclusion.

Fun fact, they actually nerfed by reducing the grab frames on release block by 2 frames, so everyone can release guard to avoid throws on reactions far more, yet it might still catch you off guard.
Fun fact number 2, top players were already teching most of the throws anyway.

However there is a trick in this game that applies to mostly everything, something i'm marinating on in the past few days that makes me think how much of a depth this game is, you don't actually need to be holding guard at every single moment in match, sure its a reflex that comes from past NRS games and other games, but this one i particular if you block exactly on reaction and you end up not holding guard often there is so much more you can actually do with when it comes down to defense, and by this i mean, throws, staggers, meaties, you name it.

Once i know exactly what and when to look for, i might actually come to a conclusion.
I've noticed this and definetly need to explore this more. I need to sacrifice win odds and take more risks defensively.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Isn't grab 10 frames startup?
Plus the tech window it still doesn't really fit into "I see him doing the grab, I can react" part.
That also includes having to let go of block BEFORE you mash the tech button, which as I kept saying it's retarded but it will never change so whatever.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I mash 1 and 4 when I see a grab. 50% of the time works every time. Meaning I tech about 1 in 4 grabs. But I'd say it's reads+reaction+jabbin (on a read too).

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Isn't grab 10 frames startup?
Plus the tech window it still doesn't really fit into "I see him doing the grab, I can react" part.
That also includes having to let go of block BEFORE you mash the tech button, which as I kept saying it's (soap bar in my mouth) but it will never change so whatever.
It's 10 frames start-up, but the window to tech is close to 10 frames too i think. So you have around 20 frames to react. It's not that bad. The only problem is you have to guess which way they want to throw you. But as i said, i mash 1 and 4 and tech about half of them.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
Same here, when I know im about to get grabbed I tech but for some reason I auto go to back throw button. Also I keep forgetting to just try and duck and wait instead sometimes.

Honestly I never teched a grab "intentionally", after so many games of being thrown over and over again, my body has developed some kind of unconscious reaction to press 2. So yeah, I am teching A LOT now (90% of the people throw you forward). But that thing of "he is in the corner, I will tech back throw because I don't want side switch" or "have to tech 1 because of his KB throw" of course not lol

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I think the hardest thing about teching grabs is remembering to let go of block. Master that and you probably will notice its actually not too hard to tech them.

Positioning is everything too, for example, why would anyone throw themselves into a corner. This eventually involves into a maniac meta where people will throw themselves into the corner just so they don't get teched.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think it also comes from reading when exactly your opponent is using them, but for players who don't have a pattern, it's harder to tech. TBH I only tech them when I mash D2. I'm not that great at reading that stuff but it all comes down to practice. First things first, you know?

Last edited:

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I look at my characters positioning and my opponents moveset. To add to what @Mikemetroid was saying, once you are familiar with both, you can start figuring out when your opponent is going to likely try to grab you and which way they are going to throw you.

Example: you're in the corner, your opponent goes for a throw, the chances are pretty high that your opponent is going to try to keep you there so tech accordingly.

Also knowing if your opponents character has crushing blow properties off a throw is super helpful in tech choice making as they are likely going to go for those throws to get that crushing blow.

Another thing I keep in mind is that throws whiff crouching characters that aren't blocking, opening themselves up to a free universal crushing blow. Hit your opponent with that once or twice and they will think twice.

This game really makes you think about everything you do and strongly encourages you to educate yourselves on all characters and their toolkits.

My only real issue with the throw system is that they are a true 50/50. Meaning characters with strong staggers benefit greatly from this system.

thlityoursloat

kick kick

Playing JC has made it far easier for me to tech throws. Since my thumb is generally on 4 I can very easily tech grabs on reaction (or accident) since most grabs in the neutral are forward grabs.
It takes a long time to wire your mindset to adapt to the throw tech system in this game.. I'm getting better at it but I need more games if I'm going to reliably react to grabs.
If I could I'd just replace this trash 50/50 grab system and replace it with Injustice's grab techs, but whatever.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Ive got the same problem. I can react but only if I am expecting it in the back of my mind / someone is grabbing a lot.

Hit me up and we can practice on XBL

i never liked the nrs throw tech system. its not broken or something, its just annoying as fuck. it was shit back then and it is still shit lol.
ttrow tech is a secondary mechanic, its not game defining or something but since its so bad and throws are strong in this game, in my honest opinion it hurt the overall game experience.
im not sure if they are just lazy and copy paste that shit into every mk game, they actual like it or maybe they dont know how to improve it?

why not just tech throws (no matter if which one) by pressing throw too within some frames.

edit: dont "just duck throws" on me. thats just theory fighting. thanks

Last edited:

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Watch when they walk up or dash. Usually its a sign there gonna grab, so really watch the characters and not the space in between. Like Jax F2 is very similar to his grab, if you dont look closely your gonna get killed but when you really stare at his animation and not the space in between the two characters you can react easier

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Something's holding me back in this game and it's driving me nuts. I think in all other respects my gameplay is well rounded, except for one fatal flaw.

I SUCK BALLS at teching grabs on reaction. I need help, i set the training dummy to alternate between string and grab and it's hard as shit for me to do consistently to where i am afraid to do it in matches i have to resort to hard reads.

Do i need beta blockers?

Why are you trying to tech throws in this game when KBs that activate on bad techs exist?

Why not instead train yourself to ND? There is zero reward to teching throws in this game.

Do i need beta blockers?

its also harder online, offline is easier im also old af and i sometimes have hard time reacting just try to always think about it be ready almost look for it.

Why are you trying to tech throws in this game when KBs that activate on bad techs exist?

Why not instead train yourself to ND? There is zero reward to teching throws in this game.
There's a benefit to not being forced to read a throw and just playing defensively and reacting?

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I also can't tech throws. It often feels like I should, and I guess right a surprising amount of the time, but I'm almost always too late.

I took an online reaction test and was in the bottom 20%, which explains a whole lot of my problems.