What's new

General/Other - Smoke A Quick Analysis of Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Today during ESL Season 2 Finals, a Kombat Kast was performed showcasing Triborg, the Cyber Initiative Lin Kuei Changeling.

While we got full combos, in depth views and matches with Sektor and Cyrax...all we got was a showcase of Smoke's specials.

So in its place, here is a quick analysis of the 1 minute we got to see of Smoke...(I remember them doing the same exact thing to Kung Jin...)

Firstly, I want to touch on the fact that his MK9 tele...ya know, the one that changes sides, is a string and not a special. I believe the input was 2b2. This would make empty full screen 2s a part of the meta, keeping players honest full screen.

Secondly, Smoke is seeming to be a Vortex character. He has his own kind of spear (UMK3, anyone?) that restands the opponent. I'm not sure what options he has as an overhead but he does have a very strong low that pops up. This along with his string that throws the smoke bomb and his invisibility, his 50/50 meterless vortex game could be off the charts.

Lastly, his phasing takes a whole stamina bar unless meterburned. This takes a lot away from his movement. While this could still be worth it given his amount of teleports, taking a whole stamina bar hurts. We will have to see or test it before we can come up with a true assumption of its usability but as of right now, I say it'll be worth the bar. Imagine phasing through Tanya's Tonfa pressure, hitting her with a bnb and ending with the fast spears...he may not need to rely much on stamina...but its all speculation at this point.

I'm excited to bring Smoke into the lab and see what hidden gems this fighter has.

If you guys caught something that I didn't, feel free to comment!

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
Today during ESL Season 2 Finals, a Kombat Kast was performed showcasing Triborg, the Cyber Initiative Lin Kuei Changeling.

While we got full combos, in depth views and matches with Sektor and Cyrax...all we got was a showcase of Smoke's specials.

So in its place, here is a quick analysis of the 1 minute we got to see of Smoke...(I remember them doing the same exact thing to Kung Jin...)

Firstly, I want to touch on the fact that his MK9 tele...ya know, the one that changes sides, is a string and not a special. I believe the input was 2b2. This would make empty full screen 2s a part of the meta, keeping players honest full screen.

Secondly, Smoke is seeming to be a Vortex character. He has his own kind of spear (UMK3, anyone?) that restands the opponent. I'm not sure what options he has as an overhead but he does have a very strong low that pops up. This along with his string that throws the smoke bomb and his invisibility, his 50/50 meterless vortex game could be off the charts.

Lastly, his phasing takes a whole stamina bar unless meterburned. This takes a lot away from his movement. While this could still be worth it given his amount of teleports, taking a whole stamina bar hurts. We will have to see or test it before we can come up with a true assumption of its usability but as of right now, I say it'll be worth the bar. Imagine phasing through Tanya's Tonfa pressure, hitting her with a bnb and ending with the fast spears...he may not need to rely much on stamina...but its all speculation at this point.

I'm excited to bring Smoke into the lab and see what hidden gems this fighter has.

You picking smoke up? Are you gonna make a guide for him?

his "phase" seems to recover very quickly as you can see him able to move forward and backward after the phase animation. combo extensions? and his ex invisibility, might work the same as reptile's? able to connect combos after doing it mid-combo. smoke hype.

also, he seems to have an overhead move thats most likely special cancellable. mix ups with his low string? :)

FinalBoss_FGC

his "phase" seems to recover very quickly as you can see him able to move forward and backward after the phase animation. combo extensions? and his ex invisibility, might work the same as reptile's? able to connect combos after doing it mid-combo. smoke hype.

also, he seems to have an overhead move thats most likely special cancellable. mix ups with his low string? :)
I didn't see an overhead move in the Kombat Kast, did I just overlook it?

as a robo smoke umk3/ninja mk9 main I cant totally complain with what weve seen- but if im upset about anything its the lack of projectile parry. I know, he has teleports and zoning isnt that bad in mkx, but I love having defensive moves at long range personally. I find parrying with kotal to be the funnest thing in mkx and was hoping for something along those lines (along with normal EX parry like in mk9)

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco

I wonder if he'll be plus after some string into EXphase or normal phase (for example, 4xxphase).
Maybe he has some blockstrings or block pressure with it

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
He appears to have good walk speed, the phase will be used as an evasion and spacing tool. Smoke's going to be awesome. I can't wait.

FinalBoss_FGC

He is looking really good to me. Let's raise a salty glass to unseeable 50-50s!
For sure! Smoke might be my favorite MK character of all time, I'm really excited to see how the Smoke community bands together! I've been talking to Footwurk and he is maining him as well!

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
For sure! Smoke might be my favorite MK character of all time, I'm really excited to see how the Smoke community bands together! I've been talking to Footwurk and he is maining him as well!
Yep, him and new netcode are bringing me back. Worst case I would have labbed him though.

REYTHEGREAT

i hope they go more in depth with smoke as they did with cyrax and sektor. maybe a few matches with smoke

FinalBoss_FGC

You're absolutely maining Smoke?
Obviously I'm hanging onto ShaoJin but I'll definitely be using Smoke too! With Smoke's movement and meterless combos, I think they will compliment each other well.

Yep, him and new netcode are bringing me back. Worst case I would have labbed him though.
He has all the makings of a strong character for this game with phasing, unseeable 50/50s and a vortex. I'm sure he will have decent meterless damage.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I can see his EX Phase giving him some Ethereal and Displacer like options on knockdown. I think phasing backwards is a great substitute for backdashing since it takes same amount of stamina and builds a little meter in the process. If 2b2 really is a whiffable string giving him yet another teleport option i'll be happy. If its safe on block?!?! Bruh.... O_O

Im calling it now its going to be really hard to pin this character down. Prepare the salt!

Status
Not open for further replies.