What's new

A look back to MK9 Skarlet - Why old mains dropped her in MK11?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The design was some random desert aesthetic that has nothing to with what style an Outworld orphan in the streets would have or come to love. They gave her a very generic and overdone vampiric voice to match her blood abilities but hey Mira had the same exact sounding voice... Could have been... Idk, normal? Or anything else besides an overused Dracula-esque, Transylvania-based voice they slap on anyone that uses blood for anything, automatically associating them with vampires. Personality doesn’t match up with how hyper and high pitched her vocals were in MK9 either. Which doesn’t makes sense since blood magic usually drives the user mad and makes them frantic... In MK11 I guess she mastered it so hard it completely changed her tone of voice and pitch, movement speed, weapons, clothing, etc.

I can do with or without her being a bikini ninja but why is she DRAPED in clothing you would literally wear in the desert? She’s not even from any deserts and I don’t even think she’s ever been in a damn desert...

Her character doesn’t make sense in MK11 even if you want it to. Fact is, it doesn’t. MK9 she wasn’t fleshed out, sure. But MK11 she flat out doesn’t make sense.

But nice try.
Outworld has deserts. People occasionally live in them. We know this from MKX and it's supplementary comics. Furthermore, blood magic didn't drive her mad. In her arcade ending, she was manipulated by Quan Chi to kill Shao Kahn. That's it. How do I know more about this character - one that I never touched in MK9 - than you do?

Rude

I'd rather play Baraka in this than 9.

I used to play Skarlet/Mileena tag in MK9 but in this game they are both unfun to play.

While Mileena feels incredibly limited and tame, with Skarlet there is just no aggression to her gameplay.
No Red Dash into Slide, No Kunai to throw, No Attacking Teleport.

She depends on her projectiles, parry and range to get something going and when you compare that to MK9 she's a total snoozefest.
Kitana is allowed to be a snoozefest, it's not shocking for Jade to be one either. But don't turn the wilder Female Ninjas into that.
Why are you comparing her to MK9? This isn't MK9. These two games are completely different in every way that matters. I know you want it to be, but that doesn't make her an objectively bad or unfun character.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Outworld has deserts. People occasionally live in them. We know this from MKX and it's supplementary comics. Furthermore, blood magic didn't drive her mad. In her arcade ending, she was manipulated by Quan Chi to kill Shao Kahn. That's it. How do I know more about this character - one that I never touched in MK9 - than you do?
Because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Again, she was raised on the STREETS and then was brought into ROYALTY by Shao Kahn. Last I checked the dessert doesn’t have STREETS and nowhere associated with Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn had anything to do with DESERTS.

You following me?

2: Her arcade ending? Literally not canon. Matter of fact you literally have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about and you seem like you have no idea what’s going on in the story. No arcade ending (neither MK9 or MK11, even MKX) is canon save for a few that COULD or COULDNT happen but that’s mostly just for theory and speculation for the fans. Such as Mileena’s ending in MKX (I believe) and why she “came back” in MK11. Skarlet was still loyal to Shao Kahn in MK11. And KITANA killed Shao Kahn. How you did you miss that? Idk. Maybe you didn’t even play the damn game.

She has been loyal to Shao Kahn thus far as far as we know. Yes. She’s insane. Again, blood magic has a history of driving users mad. The only exception being Shao Kahn. Sindel specifically said this in reference to Skarlet herself. Skarlet is actually batshit crazy which is why what I explain adds up. You would know this if... idk... You played the game?

You’re literally talking out of your entire ass right. I’m a fan of Skarlet, but I’ve been a fan of the Mortal Kombat series since I was a wee lass. And following every which way to this day. From games to comics to books, canon to non-canon. Don’t act like you know something and portray it as fact. Everything you said was utterly wrong and false and maybe that’s why you think Skarlet makes sense as a desert dwelling vampire...

Don’t reply to me if you have something else idiotic to say, please. Please research a little first... Or... Idk... Play the damn game?

Yeah, arcade endings are not canon (though they can contain canonical elements). DLC characters are also not story canon, only what appears in Story Mode, and I suppose bios, are.

So lore-wise, the Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition Skarlet is actually non-canon, just like Triborg is a non-canon character (at this time, he can obviously be added in if they choose).

Since the Mortal Kombat X comics were decanonized, Skarlet's first lore-canonical story details are her representation in Mortal Kombat 11. All we know of her, canonically, from Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition is that she was standing around in the background at the Shaolin Tournament, and was chained up in the Kolloseum during the Outworld tournament.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
@Eddy Wang

Brother, you made a real effort here. I know well your dedication.

Though I joined the ranks late, I had hella of a time playing that character - Sweet Lord, endless conversions, playstyles we developed.

I was in UK at the MK11 presentation, and when I saw Skarlet, I was full of joy...for a moment in time. This change was too much for me. I tried to get along with Mk11 Skarlet, but the playstyle is not in my nature.

In memory of Skarlet, and MK9, I am leaving with you with footage of intense Tournament finals (I believe you have seen it, and take part of it on to your guide) against deadly Cyrax player back then:
(ignore the sound, as the commentary is very loud)

Believe it or not, I still own PS3, and I got MK9, as well I got it on Steam!
I hope I never fight mk9 cyrax again as long as I live... I felt true nostalgic empathy every time you got clipped without breaker... nice fight :)
Because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Again, she was raised on the STREETS and then was brought into ROYALTY by Shao Kahn. Last I checked the dessert doesn’t have STREETS and nowhere associated with Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn had anything to do with DESERTS.
While I have 0 horses in this race, they do have streets in places near deserts, where locals wear desert attire. I prefer mk9 tho

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
I wouldn't so much mind her coming from desert city, Deception and a few other games definitely made Outworld look like it has deserts and cities within the less hospitable areas, but it bothers the eff out of me how we got at least a dozen different designs for Outworld clothing, and not one of them you can choose for an outworlder like Scarlet. Even MKX kept some of those designs for its Outworld background NPCs. I want some long, flowing robes with some metal gauntlets and armor pieces.

It used to bother me how much Deception expanded upon the realms and how much it was ignored in later entries, but there were a lot of hints in MK11 that they might be moving towards some of those ideas and characters again.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I hope I never fight mk9 cyrax again as long as I live... I felt true nostalgic empathy every time you got clipped without breaker... nice fight :)

While I have 0 horses in this race, they do have streets in places near deserts, where locals wear desert attire. I prefer mk9 tho
That, I understand. But we have only seen one desert in Mortal Kombat. And no streets are anywhere near it.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I wouldn't so much mind her coming from desert city, Deception and a few other games definitely made Outworld look like it has deserts and cities within the less hospitable areas, but it bothers the eff out of me how we got at least a dozen different designs for Outworld clothing, and not one of them you can choose for an outworlder like Scarlet. Even MKX kept some of those designs for its Outworld background NPCs. I want some long, flowing robes with some metal gauntlets and armor pieces.

It used to bother me how much Deception expanded upon the realms and how much it was ignored in later entries, but there were a lot of hints in MK11 that they might be moving towards some of those ideas and characters again.
100% agreed.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm going to clean this up a bit — guys, arguing over lore is fine, but try to keep it non-personal or take it to PM. The minute people start hurling insults back and forth it's a mess :coffee:

Or if you want to play a money match on stream, I can set it up :cool:

Rude

I'm going to clean this up a bit — guys, arguing over lore is fine, but try to keep it non-personal or take it to PM. The minute people start hurling insults back and forth it's a mess :coffee:

Or if you want to play a money match on stream, I can set it up :cool:
I don't do online money matches because:

A) The very concept of online money matching is some cringe, ShogunFGC shit.

B) Due to the fact that I live in a very old, weirdly set up house, I have to play on Wifi. No one should money match on WiFi.

But if Komatose wants to run a ft10 for shit talking rights on stream, I'm cool with it. I live in Louisiana and we were recently fucked by Ida, but as soon as my parish gets power again I'll be down to play.

Why are you comparing her to MK9? This isn't MK9. These two games are completely different in every way that matters. I know you want it to be, but that doesn't make her an objectively bad or unfun character.
What other game am I going to compare Skarlet to? Mortal Kombat Platinum and 3/4ths?
She's been in two games: MK9 and MK11.

I'm only stating why I wouldn't touch MK11 Skarlet compared to her previous appearance. Yeah it's different whoo-hoo, I still don't like it.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I don't do online money matches because:

A) The very concept of online money matching is some cringe, ShogunFGC shit.

B) Due to the fact that I live in a very old, weirdly set up house, I have to play on Wifi. No one should money match on WiFi.

But if Komatose wants to run a ft10 for shit talking rights on stream, I'm cool with it. I live in Louisiana and we were recently fucked by Ida, but as soon as my parish gets power again I'll be down to play.
I don’t want any S talking rights tbh. I am sorry that I come off strong and I love bantering and joking/trolling. However, I would love to play offline sometime, streamed or not. DM me your parish. I may or may not be around said areas. ; )

But we have only seen one desert in Mortal Kombat. And no streets are anywhere near it.
Which desert is this? As in "Jade's Desert" from UMK3? So you're basing everything on a 10 metre stretch that we can see in the game?

In saying that... they're fighting on a stone floor of some description, and there are building remnants in the background. Chances are there were streets connecting them. This could be on the outskirts of a bustling modern town leading into the desert. Lots of what if's.

Never saw the draw of Skarlet. I think her current look is a little more interesting than the bikini clad version of MK9 and her annoying screams YAAAAH!!!

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Which desert is this? As in "Jade's Desert" from UMK3? So you're basing everything on a 10 metre stretch that we can see in the game?

In saying that... they're fighting on a stone floor of some description, and there are building remnants in the background. Chances are there were streets connecting them. This could be on the outskirts of a bustling modern town leading into the desert. Lots of what if's.

Never saw the draw of Skarlet. I think her current look is a little more interesting than the bikini clad version of MK9 and her annoying screams YAAAAH!!!
My outworld geography is spotty at best, but I also thought there was a (or some) desert like areas with houses in outworld in either mkd and/or mka stories, it’s been a while, could be misremembering. Also, the spot where Kotal gets ambushed by Kano/Mileena/Rain in mkx maybe?

My outworld geography is spotty at best, but I also thought there was a (or some) desert like areas with houses in outworld in either mkd and/or mka stories, it’s been a while, could be misremembering. Also, the spot where Kotal gets ambushed by Kano/Mileena/Rain in mkx maybe?
I want to say it was Mortal Kombat: Deception. Outworld, like Earth, does have different climates/ecosystems.

In Mortal Kombat XL, Outworld Marketplace and Emperor's Courtyard look Desert City-like to me.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I don't want to get it into it, but did any of y'all play MK11's story mode?

They kick around a desert looking area forever with Baraka's homies. Half the scenes in the damn story take place there. The Kollesium stage is a big sandy arena clearly harkening back to sword and sandal flicks. The Special Forces Desert Command stage is called "desert command." In MKX all of Kotal's scenes are in this Egyptian/Azteca looking desert city as is his Emperor's Courtyard stage. The marketplace stage is also a sandy ass middle east looking bazar. Cyrax has been eternally lost in a big sandy desert since MK3.

Of all the weird things to latch unto "why is she dressed like she belongs in the desert?" in a game with a ton of desert settings is certainly one of them.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I don't want to get it into it, but did any of y'all play MK11's story mode?

They kick around a desert looking area forever with Baraka's homies. Half the scenes in the damn story take place there. The Kollesium stage is a big sandy arena clearly harkening back to sword and sandal flicks. The Special Forces Desert Command stage is called "desert command." In MKX all of Kotal's scenes are in this Egyptian/Azteca looking desert city as is his Emperor's Courtyard stage. The marketplace stage is also a sandy ass middle east looking bazar. Cyrax has been eternally lost in a big sandy desert since MK3.

Of all the weird things to latch unto "why is she dressed like she belongs in the desert?" in a game with a ton of desert settings is certainly one of them.
MK11 Skarlet is dumb and makes no sense. Get over it already lol

Komatose

The Prettiest
lol, sure she is. But "there are no streets in the desert" is a wild take. I mean, Vegas says hi.
I’m not going to break down the technicalities behind what I said. If you can’t pick up on it, that’s on you.

Oh and the Sahara desert says hi. Like tf does one of many “deserts” having streets/civilization in it have to do with the fact that a desert is usually deserted because… Well… it’s a DESERT. Don’t come at me like that fam. Come correct. Even it’s namesake means empty. Abandoned. Nothing lol. Spare me brethren…

I’m not going to even bother typing out and explaining to you the deserts in MK… You were wrong about one already… I don’t entertain people who are wrong.