What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Johnny Cage A-List vs Crystalline help

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
After the last patch I'm not being able to beat Crystalline in any way. Despite the nerfs I am doing pretty well vs any other variation in the game, but find this matchup to be next to impossible.

Before trying a different character, I decided to upload 5 games and ask for the community advice; maybe someone has solutions that I'm just not seeing. Here are 5 sample games:

Nivek

Athena guide me, the thunder God...
Maybe more d4s and some ex shadow kicks on wake up??

Btw when he has armor up you need to play him Doomsday's trait from Injustice!! poke it to go away or fast-safe strings!!

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I believe 11 and 12 blasts through the armor (don't quote me on that but I believe that's how it works)

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
That match is 7-3 in crystalline's favor as I always said, and no one believed me.

I play both characters and I tell you there's no way to beat crystalline as cage.

Cage can't jump out of f121 ex bf4.
Cage has no double hitting armor to break flex.
113 whiffs on crouch blockting tremor, and the gap is enough for a full f121 punish.
121 whiffs on crouch blocking tremor sometimes, it depends on the distance.
Free

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
That match is 7-3 in crystalline's favor as I always said, and no one believed me.

I play both characters and I tell you there's no way to beat crystalline as cage.

113 whiffs on crouch blockting tremor, and the gap is enough for a full f121 punish.
Free
Just recently found if Cage stand blocks the pressure he can back jump out but it's only useful in the corner as you can instant back jump 4

The 11 and the 12 whiffing are a nightmare

We should play this MU sometime

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
The only option to beat him would be the teleporters. You have problem with CQCers? Try zoners! You have problem with zoners? Try teleporters!

Killer Xinok

Just recently found if Cage stand blocks the pressure he can back jump out but it's only useful in the corner as you can instant back jump 4

The 11 and the 12 whiffing are a nightmare

We should play this MU sometime
Yeah, but if he is with flex on maybe you will be at disavantage after ibj4 :/ I still have to test it tho
For sure. Wanna play today? I will invite you if I see you online there. But I will be only online in like 9 hours from now :(

thlityoursloat

kick kick

Free
Why not use 12? It has 6 frames startup.

Killer Xinok

Why not use 12? It has 6 frames startup.
1 has 9 frames startup
2 has 6 frames startup
12 has 15 frames total startup. It's not a bad string at all, the whiffing thing is an issue

1(2 whiffs on crouching tremor)1 - if he tries to react to this, you will beat his move unless he does an armored move / flash parry
1(2 whiffs on crouching tremor)run cancel f24 - Tremor will beat your move

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
You have to resort to doing shit like 1 into shadow kick if you want to break armor. Only if we had ex nut punch :\

Fisticuffs pretty much shits on him once you get him into a corner though.

Tweedy

Noob

Free
Can anyone jump out of F121 ex bf4 in the corner?

Also, tons of characters get screwed by flex. He can even eat the 2nd hit of Kenshi's EX push and punish. I find it to be a double edged sword, however, since Crystalline's only remaining armor is easily broken.

I'm sure Cage loses i'm just sharing my thoughts/asking questions on those things.

Arzumis

Noob
Tremor pokes arent the best still so be use d4
, d3 more and cystalline cant wake up on johnny unless x ray.

Killer Xinok

Can anyone jump out of F121 ex bf4 in the corner?

Also, tons of characters get screwed by flex. He can even eat the 2nd hit of Kenshi's EX push and punish. I find it to be a double edged sword, however, since Crystalline's only remaining armor is easily broken.

I'm sure Cage loses i'm just sharing my thoughts/asking questions on those things.
Some characters can jump back, some characters can foward jump. I don't have the list right now. But some of them (that can foward jump) are Takeda, Kung lao, Jax, Reptile, Cassie, Tanya, Leatherface, Ferra/Tor, Goro, Kitana

Tweedy

Noob
Some characters can jump back, some characters can foward jump. I don't have the list right now. But some of them (that can foward jump) are Takeda, Kung lao, Jax, Reptile, Cassie, Tanya, Leatherface, Ferra/Tor, Goro, Kitana
Wow. I tested it with Sonya who I figured would have the best forward jump, and when she couldn't, I just assumed that no one could. lmao

llabslb

R1D1_998
Lao can jump forward ?

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Fisticuffs.

D3/D4, B1 staggers and a lot of throws.

If they try to zone you. Zone them back and make them regret that decision.

F3,4 is much better against tremors backdash in this variation aswell.

D3 can't be punished by tremor as you low profile it, so that is good to know; you are however gonna eat the pressure from a f121

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Yeah, but if he is with flex on maybe you will be at disavantage after ibj4 :/ I still have to test it tho
For sure. Wanna play today? I will invite you if I see you online there. But I will be only online in like 9 hours from now :(
He just inv me bro I'll be down

Connection is too distant to legitimately judge the MU but it will be fun

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Every match feels like I am forced to block all the time. After he gets his crystal armor on, I don't find an effective way to beat his offence.

After Tremor uses flex, low pokes on hit leave Cage at disadvantage (except d1, which leaves him at around 0), so trying to counter Tremor's offence with a counterpoke is not really effective; f3 and projectiles become useless too. EX SK is out of the question because he punishes it after getting hit...

Only answer seems to be 11, but he is too far most of the time so it doesn't even connect. The struggle is real.

Also, I don't know why db1d is 0 on block really.

1 has 9 frames startup
2 has 6 frames startup
12 has 15 frames total startup. It's not a bad string at all, the whiffing thing is an issue

1(2 whiffs on crouching tremor)1 - if he tries to react to this, you will beat his move unless he does an armored move / flash parry
1(2 whiffs on crouching tremor)run cancel f24 - Tremor will beat your move
Well to be fair I think he can do a low poke or d2 in between 1(2)1 even if you do the whole string.