What's new

A List of Tiny Random Aftermath Observations (nothing to do with gameplay)

Art Lean

Noob
Ok so thought I'd just start a thread for amusing, bizarre, amazing and random observations to the game since the Aftermath update. This is not for balance issues, gameplay changes and all that stuff, but the tiny easter eggs, aesthetic changes and other "no way!" little elements that have been sprinkled in. Feel free to add any you've noticed:

1) They've finally fixed the colouring on Noob Saibot's headgear for use with his black classic ninja skin; most notable on the old school MK2 airsoft mask as well as a few others that were strangely all tinted a much lighter purple that didn't match the clothes ever since the skin first dropped. Finally that headgear, along with a few others, are actually black/dark grey in their colour scheme now.

2) Sheeva has a shield named 'Duroc's shield', named after Goro's brother in that pretty terrible animated movie, MK: The Journey Begins. I believe this is the first time this cartoon's wider lore has ever been brought into the game's world (beyond the fact that it bizarrely seemed to have a background character who looked REALLY REALLY like Hsu Hao 7 years before he ever came along, but I'm sure that's just coincidence). They're going very deep with the Threshold Entertainment MK spin-off references now! Here's hoping Conquest gets a few more nods moving forward beyond the (admittedly quite massive) move to make its Lin Kuei symbol the canon logo within the game franchise.

3) Shao Kahn has an intro with Sheeva where he literally says "I miss seeing you in skimpier attire!".

4) There's a wonderful pair of intros with Sheeva and Johnny Cage, one further referencing the MK1 movie's sunglasses scene with Goro, the other nut-punching him and ending with Sheeva commenting "This is where you fall down!"

5) Sheeva has two helmets (Heroine of River Berkal and Champion of Brotsk), that are clearly modelled on her MK3 facial features. It's especially noticeable when viewed side by side with her MK3 character select screen avatar. The deep black feline eye shadow with red pupils, the shape of the brow, the curvature of the cheek bones, the pronounced feminine lips, the slender nose and of course, the large ponytail from the crown of her head. I'm actually quite astounded how identically proportioned this is (and how much this helmet changes her apparent features):

6) An obvious one I'm sure you all caught, the Krypt dude's mangled dead body greets Shang Tsung as he attempts to enter the Shaolin Trap Dungeon during the story mode.

Just add any you've found!

Last edited:

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Are there any MK musical references in Kabal and Sheeva's friendships? Part of me feels like they have to be referencing old MK themes, but I don't know if it's true.

2) Sheeva has a shield named 'Duroc's shield', named after Goro's brother in that pretty terrible animated movie, MK: The Journey Begins. I believe this is the first time this cartoon's wider lore has ever been brought into the game's world (beyond the fact that it bizarrely seemed to have a background character who looked REALLY REALLY like Hsu Hao 7 years before he ever came along, but I'm sure that's just coincidence). They're going very deep with the Threshold Entertainment MK spin-off references now! Here's hoping Conquest gets a few more nods moving forward beyond the (admittedly quite massive) move to make its Lin Kuei symbol the canon logo within the game franchise.
Considering one of the Aftermath's endings...

Rigth now we could end up with a whole MK0 game centered around a retold Conquest story. To be honest, I think the only reason NRS didn't go there yet, is because only post MK1 events were altered, since Raiden messaged him from that point in the timeline, hence not altering anything past that. Not saying that Conquest is canon, but some things from the Great Kung Lao era were already referenced in past games, making it difficult to accurately retell the story from the same timeline. Now with Fire God Liu Kang reshaping everything, it opens up the possibility of going to the very beginning of Earthrealm's struggle against Outworld.

To be honest, I would love to see Vorpax return redesigned with more pronounced unique skills, it would be SO good lol

Art Lean

Noob
To be honest, I would love to see Vorpax return redesigned with more pronounced unique skills, it would be SO good lol[/SPOILER]
Know what you mean, would love to see that! I'd also especially love to see something that tied the Kreeyans to the Kytinn; considering they paid such close attention to the series that they used the Lin Kuei symbol that show invented as the canon symbol for the Lin Kuei from MK9 onwards, I therefore refuse to believe it's simply coincidence that NRS not only created a race of insectoid hive women, but one whose species just happened to also have a name specifically involving strong 'K' 'Y' and 'N' syllables.

Even just a little nod that highlighted Queen Kreeya as the great mother of the Kytinn or something would be a lovely little touch to tie it all together (hey MK's always been loose with its backstory and character design, who the hell even knows what Reptile's actual species is meant to look like at this point, it's changed so many times over the decades!).

I've been playing Sheeva a lot and i've noticed a lot of Onaga references in her dialogue.

Seems like they're setting up something storywise, obviously how and when it'll pay off who knows. I Just think it's cool.

I gather goro lost some arms fighting Kotal (via the comics) heard Onage had regenerative capabilities and was tricked into being his vessel. Via sheeva's intros, it seems while being possessed by Onaga he ran amok in outworld which apparently didn't turn out well and now Goro rots on his throne.

Sheeva comments that through her Onaga will live forever, but also Noob saying Onaga wants her as his bride...

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I've been playing Sheeva a lot and i've noticed a lot of Onaga references in her dialogue.

Seems like they're setting up something storywise, obviously how and when it'll pay off who knows. I Just think it's cool.

I gather goro lost some arms fighting Kotal (via the comics) heard Onage had regenerative capabilities and was tricked into being his vessel. Via sheeva's intros, it seems while being possessed by Onaga he ran amok in outworld which apparently didn't turn out well and now Goro rots on his throne.

Sheeva comments that through her Onaga will live forever, but also Noob saying Onaga wants her as his bride...
And as far as I know, Goro allied himself with Daegon.

The plot thickens!

Art Lean

Noob
Ok this one's nothing terribly special, but just an amusing aside, would have thought Sheeva would have preferred a dominant male. Turns out she loves a sub (courtesy of a Johnny intro)... actually quite surprised at that! :DOGE

Have fun Rule 34... sigh, have fun! :confused:

Last edited:
Know what you mean, would love to see that! I'd also especially love to see something that tied the Kreeyans to the Kytinn; considering they paid such close attention to the series that they used the Lin Kuei symbol that show invented as the canon symbol for the Lin Kuei from MK9 onwards, I therefore refuse to believe it's simply coincidence that NRS not only created a race of insectoid hive women, but one whose species just happened to also have a name specifically involving strong 'K' 'Y' and 'N' syllables.

Even just a little nod that highlighted Queen Kreeya as the great mother of the Kytinn or something would be a lovely little touch to tie it all together (hey MK's always been loose with its backstory and character design, who the hell even knows what Reptile's actual species is meant to look like at this point, it's changed so many times over the decades!).
So, in the komics they kinda made the Kreeya canon in the game universe, right? Reiko went to their kingdom and wiped them out in one of his flashbacks, in which the statue of a Kreeyan deity "spoke to him" through his thoughts. And yeah, they should absolutely play this card trying to tie both species with a backstory, could be a great opportunity maybe to introduce the Kreeya as the original enemies to Kytinn species in a prequel.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Geras doesn't have a new VA, they're just super inconsistent with the special effects on his voice.

DeftMonk

Noob
That one dude that was impaled in the shaolin trap dungeon when shang entered...was that anyone from previous game? Kinda flashed by too quick to really see.