What's new

A different opinion...

Noob
Everyone sit down. Here it comes.

I DO NOT LIKE STREET FIGHTER 4.

There, I said it.

I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is about SF4 that I don't like, but I don't care for the game. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it's not a GREAT Street Fighter game. Unfortunately for everyone else(but fortunately for me), I believe this game will fall by the wayside within 2 years, stuck in the forgotten realm of Street Fighters along with such games as Street Fighter Alpha 3.

First, the game is CLUNKY. I feel like I'm controlling semi-mobile robots with rusty joints. The game is clunky and just seems to me like the control is lacking. Nothing flows, nothing is fluid. The only way to consider this game fluid is if you thought the EX series was fluid. By "fluid" I don't mean looks... I mean gameplay. The gameplay is not fluid, it's very stiff, very clunky, very rigid. The characters feel rigid to me, the game feels rigid.

Something else about the game is off. I can't quite place it though. Something just isn't right about it. I wish I could really put my finger on it, but I can't right now.

What I can say is this: Ultimately, it's a solid game, but it's just not up to the past standards that Capcom has given us. This game is an utter disappointment, it's fan-service, and bad service at that. The graphics will keep you playing for a little bit, but gameplay-wise, Street Fighter 4 has NOTHING...NOTHING on HD Remix or 3rd Strike. It's a good game, not a great game. Every time I play it, I think to myself, "I could be playing HDR or 3s." It's unfortunate, I want to like this game, I just don't care for it. Overall, it's a rental, but a long term waste of money. This game will be gone within 2 years.... if Capcom is lucky it'll last that long. Super Turbo/HDR and 3rd Strike will continue to remain on top as the most competitive games, with longevity that games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Street Fighter 4 simply don't have.

I returned both my copies... 360 and PS3.

Don't you know SF is never good the first way through you have to wait for them to update it with...

Super Street Fighter Turbo X For Matching Service Alpha EX HD Champion Edition IV Remix

Noob
DarkMoon said:
Don't you know SF is never good the first way through you have to wait for them to update it with...

Super Street Fighter Turbo X For Matching Service Alpha EX HD Champion Edition IV Remix
You know, you've got a point...

I think this game will improve on upcoming patches.

So far it's a "fun" game but (IMO) few of the chars are still unbalanced.

S

scheissn

I hate turtling, but it is mostly a turtling game unless you really really know what you are doing.

The main thing that I hate is the fucking dpad on the wireless controller (go fucking figure; don't tell me to buy a fucking stick cause I shouldn't have to)

I also hate that they hand out ultra meters EVERY FUCKING ROUND.
So they actually get rewarded for getting their asses kicked.
It wouldn't be so bad if they damage that they give was reversed with the Supers moves. You actually earn super meter a lot more than you earn ultra meter, yet it gives less damage : /

I just think that it is lame that you can rape someone until they are almost dead, then they can ultra you, then you are almost dead, then GUESS WAHT! you get a fuckin ultra, wtf.

Also, I am completely fucking frustrated atm. I do like the game though.

Noob
ScheissNussen said:
I hate turtling, but it is mostly a turtling game unless you really really know what you are doing.

The main thing that I hate is the fucking dpad on the wireless controller (go fucking figure; don't tell me to buy a fucking stick cause I shouldn't have to)

I also hate that they hand out ultra meters EVERY FUCKING ROUND.
So they actually get rewarded for getting their asses kicked.
It wouldn't be so bad if they damage that they give was reversed with the Supers moves. You actually earn super meter a lot more than you earn ultra meter, yet it gives less damage : /

I just think that it is lame that you can rape someone until they are almost dead, then they can ultra you, then you are almost dead, then GUESS WAHT! you get a fuckin ultra, wtf.

Also, I am completely fucking frustrated atm. I do like the game though.
Actually, over on SRK, the whole Ultra Combo is one of the biggest gripes about the game(outside of it feeling like an EX game). People are hating the SNK "rage" style meter where people get rewarded for getting a beating.

They could fix this by:
1. Return super meter building to 3s style(whiffing moves still builds meter)
2. Successful Focus Attacks use 1/2 bar of super meter, and help build ultra meter
3. Successful combination attacks build ultra meter.
4. Taking damage does not build ultra meter.

The most damaging attacks in the game should not be attacks available to you for losing. Simple as that.

S

scheissn

Why even have a fucking Ultra meter to begin with?

Why not just have a slash on each power meter that shows you when it will activate?
(Similar to "Danger" in MK but with more energy)

It seems like ultra meter is just there for looks and you pretty much get the "Ultra Meter" to activate at pretty much the same damage every time, then it is one single move, why do you even need a fuckin meter for that?

Answer: To make it look cooler and give even the playing ground.

Noob
Yeah, the Ultra is there pretty much to serve as an "even the playing field" measure for players getting their assess handed to them. However, I can already see where it's going to go at higher levels. Basically, once your opponent has an ultra built up, you go on the defensive, or else you risk eating the ultra for some massive damage...so some 8yr old can dish out the damage in a single move that took me tactical skill and precision to deal out the same damage over the course of time in the match. Great. Thanks... but, at higher levels, once those ultra meters are built, it's gonna become a projectice spamming turtle fest, where each player retreats to his/her corner and throw fireballs till one person gets annoyed enough to attempt some offense...and of course will eat an ultra for that. MK2 meets SF. Well, I guess after MKDC, anything was possible. LOL

S

SuGaR

black album said:
I never liked street fighter games. MK all the way.
There is one good MK game. Countless good SF games and a few great ones in there too. What's even worse is the fact that UMK3 is a good game is just dumb luck.

S

scheissn

9.95 said:
Yeah, the Ultra is there pretty much to serve as an "even the playing field" measure for players getting their assess handed to them. However, I can already see where it's going to go at higher levels. Basically, once your opponent has an ultra built up, you go on the defensive, or else you risk eating the ultra for some massive damage...so some 8yr old can dish out the damage in a single move that took me tactical skill and precision to deal out the same damage over the course of time in the match. Great. Thanks... but, at higher levels, once those ultra meters are built, it's gonna become a projectice spamming turtle fest, where each player retreats to his/her corner and throw fireballs till one person gets annoyed enough to attempt some offense...and of course will eat an ultra for that. MK2 meets SF. Well, I guess after MKDC, anything was possible. LOL
I prefer a dizzy meter ;)

Compared to SSF2T, this in my opinion is more accessable to the casual players and the ultra meter just makes it that little bit easier for them. The combo and throw mechanics are also much easier due the the wider timeframes to do the inputs. I think if someone who had not played SF4 or SSF2T would find it much harder in turbo.

X820

Noob
I just played it this morning before work..

OMG was I fucking disapointed!

9,95's initial post covers my dislike aswell, amazing graphics, absolutely stunning!

But the gameplay sucks ass, it's almost like the characters aren't grounded and they have very strange strike ranges, like they miss each other's hitboxes, if that makes sense.
Also when you jump the characters do like this weird floating thingie LOL, like they have to much airtime somehow, eventhough it sits well within the game, to me it feels awkward

Loving the game and the gameplay. I also dislike the idea of the ultra though. Like 9.95 said, you shouldn't get rewarded with a characters best attack by losing in a round. IMO the ultras shouldn't be able to be linked into. The only way they could be performed is as an aa, or get lucky. Either that or make it more difficult to get an ultra. around 45-50% of health gone and you get one.

Other than that the game is great. 3rd Strike was an updated patched version, the newer version of SF4 will be perfect.