What's new

A detailed guide on Raijin Raiden - Strategy, Kombos, Baiting, and Ranked Matches

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
No :( - but you still gain the restand at +5...so I guess they felt he needed midscreen damage. It makes sense, as it was hard enough to get the buff, corner carry with Electric Fly and condition with a b2 mindgame to get the discharge combos going.

Also, an amplified db4 is a Low/Mid now and not Low/Low, but with the threat of getting 30% off one bar midscreen, it gives him some loose mix up off b1.
Thought I was losing my brain lol but yea that makes sense. I don't see it as a bad thing I guess since he still gets good corner damage, but now has the option to do less damage, but end in a +5 restand. Can follow up with throw, B1, etc if you didn't cash out.

I was thinking the same. Yea the OH is unsafe, but no one is going to block high when they are risking full combo for not blocking low. Even just the threat may land you some cheap cancels into recharge too. Having these new tools with the ever threatening Discharge is very, very appealing. I only wish they left it at 4F, but given the new tools that might have been too cheap.

ValeDJ

Noob
Thought I was losing my brain lol but yea that makes sense. I don't see it as a bad thing I guess since he still gets good corner damage, but now has the option to do less damage, but end in a +5 restand. Can follow up with throw, B1, etc if you didn't cash out.

I was thinking the same. Yea the OH is unsafe, but no one is going to block high when they are risking full combo for not blocking low. Even just the threat may land you some cheap cancels into recharge too. Having these new tools with the ever threatening Discharge is very, very appealing. I only wish they left it at 4F, but given the new tools that might have been too cheap.
I think you're spot on bud. If they had kept the 4f reversal, it would push Raijin further up anyone's list. Now he has a buff with db3, punching in f4/b12 into df2...I've literally no words how good that tool is. Not sure if there is anyone who can punish (Jax's FB, Subs slide) that with the added push back and being -5 on block...really just want work to finish so I can try out more things with this!

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Safe Quick Charge setups;
  1. Forward throw
  2. Anything linked into DF2 (e.g. B12 xx DF2)
  3. Amp BF1
  4. DB2 on hit (e.g. B31 xx DB2)
From what I’ve tested he has no safe QC setups on block. It’s an easy punish doing it raw as well.
You can probably set it up after a BF3 as well. The main point is you forsake oki since your set up will eat up all your knockdown advantage.

ValeDJ

Noob
  1. Forward throw
  3. Amp BF1
From what I’ve tested he has no safe QC setups on block. It’s an easy punish doing it raw as well.
Any chance cancelling after a d4 on hit?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What do you guys use as the go to options after you do a string on block into charged up pole smash (forgot the name)? It pushes them away a good amount of space, and is -5 on block. You don't have advantage, but with his range of options I'm assuming there is a preferred approach after?

What do you guys use as the go to options after you do a string on block into charged up pole smash (forgot the name)? It pushes them away a good amount of space, and is -5 on block. You don't have advantage, but with his range of options I'm assuming there is a preferred approach after?
Depends on my opponent. If they’re jumpy I’ll anti-air with s4 xx db2 or f1 xx db2. If they walk back I use db4 because it’s a full screen low when Quick Charge is on. F4 is also a good option.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
  1. Forward throw
  3. Amp BF1
Could you not get it after the F32 knockdown? So like... B31 exDb4 (uses charge) F32 into db3 (regains charge)?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Can you go for a Quick Charge after B121+3? I know you could also simply the B12 into DF3, but ending in 1+3 is at least an option to leave the opponent close, if you ever wanted to do that.

Could you not get it after the F32 knockdown? So like... B31 exDb4 (uses charge) F32 into db3?
I didn’t test that one because I hate that string lol. I’ll test it out. I was looking for setups that had great pushback because my boy’s Lao was punishing every single time I tried to do it raw or relatively close to him. Within his f1 range.

Can you go for a Quick Charge after B121+3? I know you could also simply the B12 into DF3, but ending in 1+3 is at least an option to leave the opponent close, if you ever wanted to do that.
You can, but some characters can get small punishment or free pressure. B12 xx bf2 has great pushback, so you’re safe and free to maneuver afterward.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I didn’t test that one because I hate that string lol. I’ll test it out. I was looking for setups that had great pushback because my boy’s Lao was punishing every single time I tried to do it raw or relatively close to him. Within his f1 range.
Reason I ask is because I used to end combos in Thunder Wave with that because the headbutt at the end had like a 47F hit advantage lol

So I got a tele after it. Perhaps it could work for Raijin

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Because it looks like a stagger, but it ain’t lol. Coming from Scorpion I’m like “oh damn, he has a 11f f3” but it’s like -7 lol.
Wut? That IS a stagger.

It's completely safe and if they are waiting for the full string, you get to do something else or throw or whatever. That's literally what a stagger is. Granted it'd be a lot better if it were less negative, but...

Not everyone can have 0 on block, 9F mids... Cassie.

Wut? That IS a stagger.

It's completely safe and if they are waiting for the full string, you get to do something else or throw or whatever. That's literally what a stagger is. Granted it'd be a lot better if it were less negative, but...

Not everyone can have 0 on block, 9F mids... Cassie.
Not against my sparring partner. He’s the king of poke/ jab string interrupting lol. He always reacts to the stagger with Lao’s 212121 xx amp spin lol.

I can get it off as a stagger against lesser players easy, but not him lol.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Not against my sparring partner. He’s the king of poke/ jab string interrupting lol. He always reacts to the stagger with Lao’s 212121 xx amp spin lol.

I can get it off as a stagger against lesser players easy, but not him lol.
But you're safe, so the only way he's punishing you is if you're hitting buttons after... you have to be willing to block after it sometimes to blow up him up for trying to always attack afterwards.

Had to learn that the hard way with Jax. Cause his staggers are -11, -4, and -7.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
If F3 and F32 are both -6, isn't that a safe stagger? I mean, either way if you block after each they should theoretically be safe, barring a Low/OH mixup. It's a decent amount of pressure to eat, but if you condition the opponent to respect the F32 string you should be able to get away with just the F3 on block.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
If F3 and F32 are both -6, isn't that a safe stagger? I mean, either way if you block after each they should theoretically be safe, barring a Low/OH mixup. It's a decent amount of pressure to eat, but if you condition the opponent to respect the F32 string you should be able to get away with just the F3 on block.
You're exactly right!

It's just not a good stagger in the traditional sense.

But because of how the system works, f3 flawless block is really good.

Raijin used to be way more threatening bwhen he had 4f discharge to punish d1s etc too. But they decided to take out the fun and give home combos.

I am really sad I didn't flesh out old raijin in time.