What's new

A Deep Dive On How Cassie Cage Has Changed -MK11

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!

FULL ARTICLE HERE and videos of moves can be found here
source-
https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/03/06/a-deep-dive-on-how-cassie-cage-has-changed?fbclid=IwAR0eLTboNPs1xXZ86E3Qftj-0X2AOaitu6UZopCQRiIdeAQ5mITvGjjkZWA

bits of info below...

When I got to play through the first chapter of the story mode at recent preview event, one of the first things I noticed is Cassie's voice actor had changed. I loved Ashly Burch’s take on the character in Mortal Kombat X; the way she exuded a confident nonchalance about fighting, shouting things like “these are $500 shoes!” after kicking her opponent into the ground. She was a big part of what made that character who she was.

Erica Lindbeck is donning the role this time around, and while her acting and delivery in these scenes is up to snuff, I couldn’t help but be bothered by the difference. She sounds younger, oddly enough. Less nonchalant and more juvenile, perhaps. It seemed to hamper that cool demeanor I’d come to love about her. I wasn't feeling it.

As I start fighting, I test out a few of her moves and find many of her attack strings, things I’d committed to muscle memory, are either gone or significantly altered, making her feel like a house with the furniture rearranged. It’s hard not to obsess over tiny details; the glowing kick that ended her “Fancy Footwork” string can now be done by itself by pressing back and X (on PS4) and can combo into special moves, which makes it useful against jumping opponents.

Then I try to do her Getaway Flip special move, which acted as her main tool for extending combos in Mortal Kombat X. It’s gone. I wasn’t able to find a suitable replacement, either. In general, it seems most of her enhanced moves, which use up the aggression meter, simply increase the damage of her special moves, instead of opening opponents up for longer combos. This is in line with Mortal Kombat 11’s overall philosophy of keeping combos short and spending more time on the ground, vying for that all-important first hit. It's a smart change, but one that makes Cassie feel even more unfamiliar.

I quickly find she has a number of new tools at her disposal, however. Among them are a brand-new divekick move that knocks the opponent down, and can be done fairly low to the ground, making it a decent mix-up tool.

But in Mortal Kombat 11, you don’t have to stick with any one vision of a particular character. The custom variations system lets you tweak not only the look of each character, but their moveset as well, and I wasn’t giving up on Cassie that easily. So I went into the editor to change out her wardrobe to make her fit more in line with what I’ve come to associate with her. I then realize the “Kombat Kid” variation is actually pretty close to what I wanted; I change the color from hot pink to yellow and green (making it look a little easier on the eyes), and swap the visor for aviators. And now I'm into this look.

I then start looking into her moveset, which has several more options than I expected. Along with a shoulder charge and an airborne kick, she also has some flashy gun maneuvers, which let her fire them in the air, low to the ground, ricochet them off poor BLB, or fire them off an admittedly sick forward flip.
More importantly, BLB factors into many of her moves, but most of them aren’t as intensive as commanding it directly. Along with the energy burst, BLB can also deploy a bubble field, which stays on screen for a while and slowly chips away at an opponent’s health. It sounds interesting, so I add it to one of my three available custom move slots for the character.
I also see an interesting little maneuver, which has Cassie hold onto BLB to perform a quick, diagonal jump. A plan starts forming in my head; get in my opponent’s face with my new jump, hit them with the bubble, then do everything I can to keep them there by jumping around said bubble with my new drone friend. If they exit the bubble, shoulder charge them back into it. It sounds good on paper, so I choose this move as well.

Cassie Cage as well as Johnny and Kano's customization..
They look amazing...

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Wow, okay, Cassie sounds really great. I love that she'll have an option to do damage and that gameplay of yours sounds really interesting to learn. She's different and that's good since all of her combos mostly relied on running and now that's gone.

Two questions:
  1. Do you know if she has a parry?
  2. Can you hit confirm from that backflip she does after the low gunshot?

sorry if i offend anyone but in my humble opinion mk11 cassie is pure trash. especially with sonya and johnny around, cassie doesnt look like shes adding anything to the roster in terms of gameplay AND personality.

Kal

<3
I'm not usually a fan of drones (or mechanics similar) in fighting games but I'm willing to make an exception for Cassie and still try her out. I loved her in MKX, so we shall see.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I feel they really nailed her personality in MK11 (from what I've seen) compared to MKX. Always felt her execution was slightly off in MKx. Think this game will make her a long lasting fan favorite and not just a kombat kid.

Ceroder

Noob
MKX Cassie was just another zoomer that made me lose hope in the zoomer generation
Now at least it feels like she has a good head on her shoulders, that ugly ass haircut of hers and very annoying voice of hers is gone, but too bad that she still has that immature behaviour that annoys the shit out of me irl.

Had hopes that she matured after the story trailer, but looks like she is not and she's just not my cup of tea. She looks amazing though. She has fans, I respect that. Also, she's unique as hell gameplay-wise, I dont think shes a copy of Sonya or Johnny. Don't really dig the drone stuff though

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I almost liked her, then I saw the milkshake, bubblegum and the stupid mobile phone, and I was like... Nevermind, I remember why I think she shouldn't be in MK games...

Too bad, the design with the pink is really stunning. But I hate people that walk around with their mobile phones, I can't see through that.

Ceroder

Noob
I almost liked her, then I saw the milkshake, bubblegum and the stupid mobile phone, and I was like... Nevermind, I remember why I think she shouldn't be in MK games...

Too bad, the design with the pink is really stunning. But I hate people that walk around with their mobile phones, I can't see through that.
Same! I dont really care about the bubblegum and all, but after that brutality pose she kinda lost me

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I have to be honest , only two characters so have seemed completely underwhelming to me - Sonya and now Cassie. I have a bad feeling Jacqui will end up falling into that category, as well. If I had to pick a Kombat Kid to return, it would have certainly been Takeda.

Either way, still looking forward to seeing what she has in the final build. The drone stuff just seems uninspired and a lot like Spec Ops Sonya from MKX (or whatever the drone variation was).

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Most of her "interact with drone" moves give me a very Nakoruru from Samurai Showdown vibe. Not exactly what I was hoping for (unlike most of what they gave Kano where only two moves disinterest me) but she still has enough cool moves that I can easily make a variation that suits my style.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
MKX Cassie was just another zoomer that made me lose hope in the zoomer generation
Now at least it feels like she has a good head on her shoulders, that ugly ass haircut of hers and very annoying voice of hers is gone, but too bad that she still has that immature behaviour that annoys the shit out of me irl.

Had hopes that she matured after the story trailer, but looks like she is not and she's just not my cup of tea. She looks amazing though. She has fans, I respect that. Also, she's unique as hell gameplay-wise, I dont think shes a copy of Sonya or Johnny. Don't really dig the drone stuff though
Why is everyone against the drone on Cassie? I can understand that the specials locking her to the drone with that bubble is obviously slow and deterring even me but that kit with take a ride on drone for mobility is strong af.
I'm hoping I can lab up a combo version of her with moderate space control in neutral.

Something tells me you hated her anyways. But she has a variety of kit options to cater her to anyone's style. The hitch a ride drone move seems to allow her to either zone/space control or rushdown depending on what other moves you stack with it, which is very refreshing.
That set up for low gunshot that launches may very well combo? Those Superman gunshots air dive looks very strong in this game so I'm seeing players like Sonic picking her up. I can hear it now " Sonic says: this is broke, this is broke on almost every character".

I'm sure once we have time to lab everything we will find some powerful tek on many characters.

was cassie gameplay shown?
Yes

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
sorry if i offend anyone but in my humble opinion mk11 cassie is pure trash. especially with sonya and johnny around, cassie doesnt look like shes adding anything to the roster in terms of gameplay AND personality.
She just looks like young version of Sonya, with a mix of Sonya's and Johnny's moves...
I can't see where all the hype and excitement is coming from.
According to 16bit, she is supposed to be the Jin Kazama of this game.
no Strengths no weakness, but a tool for every single situation while not having the best tools for it but still have that option to be a threat in all areas against all characters, basically while she might have this and that, someone in the game does something she does better than she does, but this same character doesn't do everything or do other stuff worse than she does, or doesn't do it at all.

If that's really true at this point, we will just wait and see, as long as Flawless Block remains in the game, anything its possible.