What's new

Question A couple Smoke questions

Hello, I have a few smoke questions.

1. How important are non BnB combos at casual online with Smoke?

2. What playstyle do most players play with Smoke? I've just been countering what my opponent does and trying to punish.

3. Whats are Smokes easy and efficent combos?

4. How do you get in with Smoke?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
3, Down 1, 2. This is his best combo, it launches and allows for a juggle. Use it online and everywhere as well. Has an overhead at down 1.

One strategy I find annoying against smoke is when they jump above you and teleport punch, this places them above you and I could swear it is safe.

Think like the TF2 Pyro with smoke as well, constantly check your opponent with a smoke bomb when it is safe. You are spy checking, remember that. And it can nab a player who is launching a projectile/special at the right time. Like sub's clone/noobs running man can come out but the smoke bomb will get them and it will do more damage.

Abuse the back 4, he has one of the fastest sweeps in the game. Use it to mix up.

hardwire

Noob
3, Down 1, 2. This is his best combo, it launches and allows for a juggle. Use it online and everywhere as well. Has an overhead at down 1.

One strategy I find annoying against smoke is when they jump above you and teleport punch, this places them above you and I could swear it is safe.

Think like the TF2 Pyro with smoke as well, constantly check your opponent with a smoke bomb when it is safe. You are spy checking, remember that. And it can nab a player who is launching a projectile/special at the right time. Like sub's clone/noobs running man can come out but the smoke bomb will get them and it will do more damage.

Abuse the back 4, he has one of the fastest sweeps in the game. Use it to mix up.
the over head tp is not safe its hit really ez with an upercut but it is still good

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
Hello, I have a few smoke questions.

1. How important are non BnB combos at casual online with Smoke?

I dunno what you mean really :\ Smoke has very few combos worth doing, just find a BnB that you like (Smoke's are relatively easy) and that's that

2. What playstyle do most players play with Smoke? I've just been countering what my opponent does and trying to punish.

You're on the right track, then

3. Whats are Smokes easy and efficent combos?

3-D1-2, dash, 3-D1-2, air kick + airthrow. There are ways to modify this and make it do a little bit more damage, but that's the easiest one

4. How do you get in with Smoke?

Easy, use his smoke wisp teleports. Back-Forward-3 to get in, Forward-Back-3 to get out. One of the most convenient moves in the game.
-see answers above-

If you are not fighting a character with an (relative) insanely good wake-up (Kung Lao, Raiden), you can actually pull a good rushdown with Smoke on knockdowns. I've enjoyed a lot of success using it to surprise people.

Otherwise, countering is very effective given his tools.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
If you are not fighting a character with an (relative) insanely good wake-up (Kung Lao, Raiden), you can actually pull a good rushdown with Smoke on knockdowns. I've enjoyed a lot of success using it to surprise people.

Otherwise, countering is very effective given his tools.
Yes. Even against characters that have nasty wake-ups you can keep them down by expecting them to fall back on using them and block>punish.

-see answers above-
Smoke drift towards from neutral is actually almost suicide unless you come out blocking, and unless you think they will try to throw a punishable special at you you're just setting yourself up to get locked down in a block string. However, you can use EX smoke drift from neutral and cross them up (EX is faster and invincible from start to finish and it's one of my favorite uses of meter besides breakers.) or you can link a forward drift after 214 or f+4. On hit the drift chases and allows you to continue pressure, on block it crosses up safely (I think) and allows you to continue pressure.

To get in with Smoke you want to score a knockdown. Sweeping is a great way to do this. Also, his b+2 has crazy range and will catch people from about two steps away; a great way to get in. Throwing the b+2,3>smokebomb string traps with a d+1 after it making it safe. if they block that you're already in their face and I like to immediately annoy them with repeated d+3 >dash cancel>d+3>dash cancel>d+3 (ad infinitum). It does very little damage but it basically stuffs anything any character can do and as soon as they block low it's b+2 time.

I forget who said this, but someone compared Smoke to a freight train which I think is an extremely apt simile. He's all about momentum.

Yes. Even against characters that have nasty wake-ups you can keep them down by expecting them to fall back on using them and block>punish.

The priority on his 3, D1, 2 is unbelievable on countering wakeups. It is possible to hit Subby out of a wakeup slide if you give a tid of space, if I had any way of recording the matches I've done it I'd show it.