What's new

A command grab gripe

One thing that I don’t know is intended or not but do all command grabs whiff on people who are crouch blocking or just jax’s? This seems stupid to me because the point of a command grab is to hit people who are blocking, right? Obviously it should whiff on people nuetral ducking but definetly not on people just blocking low. Many people block low by default and therefore escape cgs without even knowing it.

Last edited:

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Nah, Jax's command grab has whiffed on crouching ever since MK2 iirc. I don't remember Gotcha ever landing unless standing.

I’m confused, this lands for me on crouch block. Just not players who are naked crouching. Am I missing something? Or maybe was this changed in the patch. I tick throw off down 3 all the time.
That's weird I tested this last night in practice, quad grab whiffs for me on a crouch blocking opponent, even for tick throws.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
stop trolling lol its enough
his command grab is ok, your execution is just bad thats why it whiffs

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Gera's is a mid that hits people just neutral ducking

Thing is is that when you typically have a true grappler(which NRS games don't have), they usually have the threat of grab instead of a OH/Low mixup. Jax actually has OH and Low starters, so he doesn't really NEED a mid throw since if you just neutral duck he has good ways to check you. So I assume it was a balance decision to give him what is essentially a "OH grab" which is what quad grab does.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
I’m confused, this lands for me on crouch block. Just not players who are naked crouching. Am I missing something? Or maybe was this changed in the patch. I tick throw off down 3 all the time.
Crouch BLOCK actually puts the defender into a Mid situation. If they crouch and DON'T block it should whiff.

This is actually something you can abuse if you want to play mind games on people as generally ppl feel 'safer' while blocking...

Gera's is a mid that hits people just neutral ducking

Thing is is that when you typically have a true grappler(which NRS games don't have), they usually have the threat of grab instead of a OH/Low mixup. Jax actually has OH and Low starters, so he doesn't really NEED a mid throw since if you just neutral duck he has good ways to check you. So I assume it was a balance decision to give him what is essentially a "OH grab" which is what quad grab does.
Okay that makes sense to me, its basically just a high throw. Now that I think about it, there was the same thing in MKX. The difference which is weird is that all highs now whiff on crouch blocking not just neutral crouching. Probably just need to get used to it.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I noticed online sometimes I try to do a command grab of my Kano low throw and it doesn't come off. I'm sure this will be addressed if you make it clear to the NRS team.

Command grabs in MK aren't really legit traditional command grabs. In proper 2D fighters with proper 2D hitboxes, command grabs are very fast and cannot be throw teched, hence why grapplers are scary up close.

In MK, "command grabs" hit either high or low or mid, like a normal/limb hit. Hence they can be blocked or ducked if its a high/low. Not a real command grab like zangief or thunder due to its properties and slow speed.

Thats not the only thing that doesn't make sense. Hitboxes dont make sense. Some normals/specials cover front back and vertical, so visually it's impossible to learn range on stuff. Wish we had hitbox displays to make sense of the nonsense I see constantly in this game.

Im still playing and not giving up but coming from 2d fighters makes it counter intuitive. Another gripe I have is limb priority system. How does a poke beat an active special?

Like in KI for example when you play neutral when a trade happens you know a special beats heavy. A Heavy beats medium. Medium beats light button.

In MK some specials/normals have priority while others dont. It seems random and counter intuitive.

Lots of complaints on my behalf. I know