What's new

A.B.I.torial: Mortal Kombat 11

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Sure to be fun video, lmao cant wait to see how things have changed (or stayed the same).

Aaaaaaaand it just what I expected: BRUTAL. I think the end of the video is perhaps the most important bit. The entire soul of the franchise is superceded by the need for hyperviolence.

Story and character come 2nd to the marketing gimmick so to speak. But I dont expect those pleased with MK11 to give that opinion any credence so, hey, c'est la vie.

Last edited:

Slymind

Noob
Won't talk about animations, but, some of the things he brought up at the end of the video were simply plain stupid.

Meaning in violence? MK fatalities were always there, no greater purpose. That's why there is story mode where death actually has context.

About PTSD concerning the game development, i've saw reports of other devs in the horror genre that had this issue. you are working in a game with strong content, not much can be done on that front.

Also, he says that NRS repeat their mistakes with each game, even when they are evidently improving on many fronts, animation still has ways to go, but it's improving. It's good that he at least realized that it's not a game for him.

C-Sword

Noob
He's right about

The Fatal Blow mechanic being flawed
Having a button dedicated to stance switching is stupid.
MK characters lacking personality

I'm not grossed out by the violence in the game, just bored.

NRS games also have boring ass music, it's very quiet and not memorable. Listen to the music in old KOF games, Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct, you can have an idea of what type of personality your character have just by listening to his/her theme song.

Slymind

Noob
He's right about

The Fatal Blow mechanic being flawed
Having a button dedicated to stance switching is stupid.
MK characters lacking personality

NRS games also have boring ass music, it's very quiet and not memorable. Listen to the music in old KOF games, Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct, you can have an idea of what type of personality your character have just by listening to his/her theme song.
How is that? from characters intros, outros, dialogues, and fighting style, even round transitions,, the characters ooze personality in this game, Kano might be one of the best examples.

Samsara

Resident Cynic

NRS games also have boring ass music, it's very quiet and not memorable.
Agreed. Music adds so much to presentation and NRS consistently leaves it on the table. I think character themes like in Street Fighter would be a good first step.

Everyone knows many SF themes by heart because it's been part and parcel of the series since the beginning. KI themes are memorable as well.

Makes some good points as usual.

For me the biggest thing that he hits on the head is that the game wants, and even makes you do enders every chance you can. From towers forcing X fatalities before moving on, to FB's having little risk beyond losing it once used, being unable to leave once it has started; the game really is saying this is what we want you to do.

That for me is the most annoying thing. I can get past a few sloppy animations, or some questionable design choices, but while i know the game is violent and fatalities are a big part of it, the games have never slammed it in your face as much as this one.

The entire soul of the franchise is superceded by the need for hyperviolence.
I think the soul of the franchise is still there, just that you need to look beyond all the extra blood that's being spilled from the overly excessively violent, forcing you to do fatalities.

If they did nothing else except not making you do enders to progress in the game it would have a different outlook, at least for me. I've been working through character towers with the AI while doing other things, i'll hit the A button and check up on it. But i have no interest in working my way through doing/watching 50 enders over and over. I'm not sure what fool thought that would be a good idea.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
This guy again? Well I can't blame him, his NRS videos are the most watched on his channel by far.

The entire soul of the franchise is superceded by the need for hyperviolence.

Story and character come 2nd to the marketing gimmick so to speak. But I dont expect those pleased with MK11 to give that opinion any credence so, hey, c'est la vie.
You don't actually believe this, do you?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Lol this guy is like trying to listen to Chris Matthew's breakdown politics, the dude just doesnt know what hes talking about. Grossed out by violence? Really? Its freaking mk idiot lol.

And MK characters have way more development and personality when compared to other fgs. This guy talks out of his ass. It's one of the foundations of MK, the blood, gore and backstories of the characters. Mk 11 has its flaws but most of the shit this guy is focusing on are all opinion and beyond trivial as usual. This dude comes off as such a poser and is one of those channels where bitching is his forte. yawn

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
You don't actually believe this, do you?
Yes I do.

Story mode was a disaster, and ended with a cop out of a timeline reset even though Boon lied on stage about how they were fully committed to continuing MKX's story.

Marketed on the gore and variations and single player even though those three things arguably the most annoying aspect of the game.

People who are happy with MK11 are unlikely to take ABI opinion to heart.

I believe all of this. Dont see why I would lie about having an opinion. No one seems to know me as someone who loves MK11 to begin with, lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This guy overanalyzes shit way too much. I think someone has to remind him it's a video game and not reality. Also hard to take someone seriously when one sec you say "I love mk I grew up with it" then seconds later "I hate mk too violent" and the fact that he brought up the PTSD is just too funny" hes seriously trying to use that to justify his lackluster gripes? lol Someone send this guy a teddy.

On the storymode thing, wasn't a disaster. I mean the end was a big WTF but still compared to other FG's NRS are top notch, even their rivals tipped their caps including capcom saying they're the best at story telling modes. Other FGs have tried it and failed, that should tell you something.

Last edited:

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Great points. No surprises to be honest, Liu Kang and Kung Lao are the only ones that animate pretty well. The worst are the dlcs, Shang and Terminator being the worst offenders.

Fatalaties used to be great when they were hidden , now it's everywhere, the magic behind the fatalaty is gone. Given that the roster is also filled with family members, its jarring and disturbing seeing Cage and Jax murdering their daughters.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
This guy again lol

Let me guess: He's extra triggered by some d3 and d4 animations. Some strings have unnatural physical stances. He doesn't feel the "power" coming from hits.

Yeah yeah yeah many NRS strings and buttons have weird and unrealistic animations, but it's obvious at this point that NRS wants to focus on other things than to revamp their animation style. Get over it already. He keeps beating the same old dead horse.

@C-Sword The Killer Instinct Sound Track is fantastic; I'm actually listening to it right now, as chance would have it.

I think a lot of the klassic tracks for Mortal Kombat are great. For the newer games (Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11), I think there's some great tracks, but also forgettable ones. I really like Shinnok's Bone Temple, for example.