What's new

A.B.I.torial 13: Mortal Kombat X's Animation SUCKS

Icefyre

Shadows
And as for the Stance Switch, it is not a design failure at all, it only adds to the depth of the game because you have to think about the options you have depending on the position of the chars, and if a certain position does give you more combo options, that means it only adds to your options. The Stance Switch only adds more options to you, not taking options from you.
The alternative to stance switch allowing certain combos in only one particular stance is that said combos are allowed regardless of the stance. This means that you are taking away options, not giving more, by having stance switch limitations.

The alternative to stance switch allowing certain combos in only one particular stance is that said combos are allowed regardless of the stance. This means that you are taking away options, not giving more, by having stance switch limitations.
Ahem! Dualist Liu Kang was made with the stance switch button in mind. How else They animated the light stance and the dark stance?. Huh!.So that's Why that variation exists. Because inspiration from that button (Sadly dark and light stances are not activated with stance switch button per se). Only they need to add more functionality to that button to the next games. Like they did with Liu Kang... They can with other characters.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
No, that's not the case here. By default, the characters are facing the camera, so if some combos can work only if one or two of the chars have their backs against the camera (as you can see in the videos), that means that the stance switch feature only add more combos for you, not taking them from you.

Also I just now remembered that the stance switch actually has more uses then just for combos, I saw them back when I visited this site before becoming a member of TYM.

The stance switch button can also be used for tech, mainly for whiff punishing:

Here is one:

And another one, this time from non other then REO.

@TAKUMA
@Error
@LaidbackOne
@scarsunseen

Ahem! Dualist Liu Kang was made with the stance switch button in mind. How else They animated the light stance and the dark stance?. Huh!.So that's Why that variation exists. Because inspiration from that button (Sadly dark and light stances are not activated with stance switch button per se). Only they need to add more functionality to that button to the next games. Like they did with Liu Kang... They can with other characters.
Variations exist in MKX for way more reasons then that, but yeah it is a good additional reason too.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

damn..
roy, if stance switch tech is a legit feature, then every char should have them.

is it so?
No, it isn't so. Every char in MKX can run, yet only some chars can use the run cancel mechanic, and that is a legit mechanic. So if only some chars has use for the Stance Switch button, that's still a legit feature/tech.

No, it isn't so. Every char in MKX can run, yet only some chars can use the run cancel mechanic, and that is a legit mechanic. So if only some chars has use for the Stance Switch button, that's still a legit feature/tech.
what do you mean with "only some chars can use the run cancel mechanic" ?

Roy Arkon

what do you mean with "only some chars can use the run cancel mechanic" ?
Oh you don't know? Only some chars in the game can use the run cancel mechanic, and in some cases it is exclusive to only one Variation for that char. That's because only some chars in the game and only in those Variations have access to a special move that they can cancel with a forward dash, which allows them to cancel it imminently to run and then immediately continue their pressure on block. For example, Scorpion in Hellfire Variation, but not in Ninjutsu or Inferno.

Also I forgot to mention that the Tech that REO found for the Stance Switch button can be used by any char in MKX. It can only be used against chars with command grabs, but every char can use it against chars with command grab. That only implies even further that the benefits that button are legit.

Oh you don't know? Only some chars in the game can use the run cancel mechanic, and in some cases it is exclusive to only one Variation for that char. That's because only some chars in the game and only in those Variations have access to a special move that they can cancel with a forward dash, which allows them to cancel it imminently to run and then immediately continue their pressure on block. For example, Scorpion in Hellfire Variation, but not in Ninjutsu or Inferno.
of course i know it. but i asked u anyway cos you are confusing things here.
yes, some chars can hold a special move just by holding a button. then you can "run cancel" out of it.
what has this to do with the stance switch button?
every char has a stance switch button, but just a few chars can hold (and cancel)a special attack.
i dont get why u make a comparison?
if all chars could run cancel out of specials, then u can compare it.

i am sorry, but your point makes no sense at all.

Roy Arkon

of course i know it. but i asked u anyway cos you are confusing things here.
yes, some chars can hold a special move just by holding a button. then you can "run cancel" out of it.
what has this to do with the stance switch button?
every char has a stance switch button, but just a few chars can hold (and cancel)a special attack.
i dont get why u make a comparison?
if all chars could run cancel out of specials, then u can compare it.

i am sorry, but your point makes no sense at all.
You said earlier:

damn..
roy, if stance switch tech is a legit feature, then every char should have them.

is it so?
So I used the Run Cancel mechanic as an example to show that a legit mechanic doesn't need to be universal across the whole roster, as the Run Cancel mechanic isn't universal across the whole roster either. That is really not hard to understand, dude. If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

But that doesn't matter that much anymore because like I said earlier, REO's mechanic for the Stance Switch can be used by everyone in MKX, in addition to Ketchup's mechanic for Quan Chi and the combos for Kung Lao and Liu Kang in MK9 and MKX respectively, as shown in the vids, and probably for other chars as well

Every char in MKX can run, yet only some chars can use the run cancel mechanic, and that is a legit mechanic.
dude, u still dont get it.
-every char has a stance switch button
-every char can run

but just a few chars can hold special moves, that is an intended feature. and that ability to hold specials is the thing with your run cancels (you can also just dash cancel out of it)

you see now? your quote and comparison still makes no sense to me.

Roy Arkon

dude, u still dont get it.
-every char has a stance switch button
-every char can run

but just a few chars can hold special moves, that is an intended feature. and that ability to hold specials is the thing with your run cancels (you can also just dash cancel out of it)

you see now? your quote and comparison still makes no sense to me.
But just like only some chars can hold specials for the run cancel mechanic, only some chars can use the stance switch beyond it's aesthetic aspect, like Quan Chi, and every single char can use the anti-command grab tech from REO.

Every Char can run, only some can use the Run cancel mechanic.
Every char can flip his/her stance, every char can use the anti-command grab tech, only some chars have an additional benefit from stance switching, either by combos or techs.

And who said this wasn't intentional? I mean, considering that there were found several uses for it in both MK9 and MKX, this is very likely to be intentional. I forgot to mention the Kove Stage Brutality with the Uppercut, where you need to hold the Stance Switch button for it to work, so yes, it is intentional. Just because it wasn't obvious from the get go that doesn't make it unintentional.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
No, that's not the case here. By default, the characters are facing the camera, so if some combos can work only if one or two of the chars have their backs against the camera (as you can see in the videos), that means that the stance switch feature only add more combos for you, not taking them from you.

Also I just now remembered that the stance switch actually has more uses then just for combos, I saw them back when I visited this site before becoming a member of TYM.

The stance switch button can also be used for tech, mainly for whiff punishing:

Here is one:

And another one, this time from non other then REO.

@TAKUMA
@Error
@LaidbackOne
@scarsunseen

Variations exist in MKX for way more reasons then that, but yeah it is a good additional reason too.
This would make more sense in a 3D fighter. The stance switch button making 3D-rendered characters in a 2D playing field whiff is just silly.

But just like only some chars can hold specials for the run cancel mechanic, only some chars can use the stance switch beyond it's aesthetic aspect, like Quan Chi, and every single char can use the anti-command grab tech from REO.

Every Char can run, only some can use the Run cancel mechanic.
Every char can flip his/her stance, every char can use the anti-command grab tech, only some chars have an additional benefit from stance switching, either by combos or techs.

And who said this wasn't intentional? I mean, considering that there were found several uses for it in both MK9 and MKX, this is very likely to be intentional. I forgot to mention the Kove Stage Brutality with the Uppercut, where you need to hold the Stance Switch button for it to work, so yes, it is intentional. Just because it wasn't obvious from the get go that doesn't make it unintentional.
well, i still say that these stance things are just gimmicks, you can see them as legit and intended. everyone with their opinions.

i would consider to change or re think my opinion if you show me some highlevel matches, lets say from a top 16 or something like that, where players were doing clearly some stance shenanigans as legit strategies. since you said "it add more depth" i would like to see that in actual matches.

Roy Arkon

well, i still say that these stance things are just gimmicks, you can see them as legit and intended. everyone with their opinions.

i would consider to change or re think my opinion if you show me some highlevel matches, lets say from a top 16 or something like that, where players were doing clearly some stance shenanigans as legit strategies. since you said "it add more depth" i would like to see that in actual matches.
No I don't have any footage of tourney matches, if I had I would show them to you, but I'm happy that at least we both now respect each other's opinion on this.

Isn't this stance switch just a leftover thing from NRS using the same modified version of the Unreal Engine 3?
I don't know if leftover is the right word but yes it was a thing since MK Vs. DC which was on Unreal Engine 3.

This would make more sense in a 3D fighter. The stance switch button making 3D-rendered characters in a 2D playing field whiff is just silly.
No it isn't silly at all, it only adds more options for both players to work around and with the chars. I understand if you don't like it, but it's really not silly and it does add to the game, and I'm not the only one who says that.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
What he says makes perfect sense, however i haven’t noticed these issues myself before this video so i’m not sure if it matters too much.
Even with these flaws NRS games look much better than any other fighting game.