What's new

Question 50 Shades of Grey Roleplay Thread

Why isn't Aquaman placing?

• Total voters

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think the larger issue is that you're being WAY to hard on a guy who has done some pretty solid things for the community.

I know you're an "Engineer" and all, but I have to wonder how you can blow Tom up for tourney placings when you don't place or attend at all. I don't either, but I don't go ham and take shots at a guy who does just because he isn't doing it as much as others.

Man, it must suck to be a top player in this community with stuff like that.
I already started my post by saying that I'm not blowing anyone up -- just making an observation. And you have no idea who is actually doing 'pretty solid things for the community' behind the scenes or who's helped who; so it's probably not a good idea to go there :/

This observation was recently echoed by other top players (who are currently winning), so if you want to argue it, and you don't want to believe it because you heard it from me, take it up with them.

At the end of the day, the only reason someone makes a suggestion like that is because they want to see people do well and be at their best; if that's a crime, then what is our community for in the first place?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I already started my post by saying that I'm not blowing anyone up -- just making an observation. And you have no idea who is actually doing 'pretty solid things for the community' behind the scenes or who's helped who; so it's probably not a good idea to go there :/

This observation was recently echoed by other top players (who are currently winning), so if you want to argue it, and you don't want to believe it because you heard it from me, take it up with them.
Right. Only...I'm not talking about "Behind the scenes" there, Oz. I'm talking about what we can all clearly observe. Not hearsay and what's what. I also didn't say there was anyone who DIDN'T contribute and help, only that Tom definitely has. Pay attention. There may be other tourney players saying these things...but are you among them? The point I'm making is this: Why is it that people on this site, not JUST you, love to blow-up tourney players when they themselves NEVER take a chance and travel? It holds these guys to a pretty unfair standard.

If they win, it's because they play a "broken character."
If they lose, they're a scrub that gets "bodied."
There is literally no winning for these people. Just look at the Canada Cup thread. These people make podcasts, share tech, and engage us in conversations when they really don't have to.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Right. Only...I'm not talking about "Behind the scenes" there, Oz. I'm talking about what we can all clearly observe. Not hearsay and what's what. I also didn't say there was anyone who DIDN'T contribute and help, only that Tom definitely has. Pay attention. There may be other tourney players saying these things...but are you among them? The point I'm making is this: Why is it that people on this site, not JUST you, love to blow-up tourney players when they themselves NEVER take a chance and travel? It holds these guys to a pretty unfair standard.
By now you are way off base -- I've said 3 times now that I'm not 'blowing anyone up'.

You're mentioning people that I am friendly with and saying that I'm 'holding them to an unfair standard' by pointing out something simple with a factual basis in results. That doesn't add up..

I made one observation, which is that guys who are recently very successful (like Riyo, in this case) are playing a lot of locals in addition to their offline training, and that it translates into being helpful at larger events. And you interpreted that into calling people "scrubs"? :)

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
By now you are way off base -- I've said 3 times now that I'm not 'blowing anyone up'.

You're mentioning people that I am friendly with and saying that I'm 'holding them to an unfair standard' by pointing out something simple with a factual basis in results. That doesn't add up..

I made one observation, which is that guys who are recently very successful (like Riyo in this case) are playing a lot of locals in addition to their offline training, and that it's probably helpful. And you interpreted that into calling people "scrubs"?
Again, I wasn't simply commenting on you, but also on a general attitude that is pervasive within the community.

That said...I see where you're coming from and simply say, "Fair enough."

LEGEND

YES!

I made one observation, which is that guys who are recently very successful (like Riyo, in this case) are playing a lot of locals in addition to their offline training, and that it translates into being helpful at larger events. And you interpreted that into calling people "scrubs"? :)
i keep hearing you say that Riyo has had alot of success recently

asking because i honestly don't know, what has he done?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I dash.. I have no idea why I didnt dash, god knows I was mashing FF.
Doesnt matter.... woulda lost to Rico before top 8 even if I won my pool.

Do you find that sometimes the dashes just don't come out consistently when using Trident Rush?

I feel that way sometimes.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Again, I wasn't simply commenting on you, but also on a general attitude that is pervasive within the community.

That said...I see where you're coming from and simply say, "Fair enough."
Yeah -- just consider that a lot of the people you're talking about are people I talk to or work with outside the site; and that we probably wouldn't be talking to each other if I had that kind of mentality.

I don't advertise who I speak with and when; but I'm super supportive of players and I only want to see them do well.

I don't like this 'only us' mentality, where giving props to a former Capcom/Namco/Anime guy like Riyo or DarthArma equates to blowing up an MK player or the 'NRS community'; because I see it as everyone being in this together. If you want to win, it's worth observing what the winners are doing -- regardless of where they come from.

i keep hearing you say that Riyo has had alot of success recently

asking because i honestly don't know, what has he done?
He's the only Aquaman main that's placed Top 8 at a stacked major in the last 4-ish months; and the only one to come close to beating KDZ.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I disagree. One of the best Banes in the US lives in my house. And when I play him with Aquaman I usually win. Trident scoop his two hits and breaks armor, so that stops alot of Bane's game. Trident Rush? lol. Most of Aquaman's normals have much farther reach than Bane so I can space him out. 6-4 Aquamang
I think you missed the part where our standing 1 beats all of that. Also trident rush? If he gets spaced out by something like that then I don't know... Who is the Bane? Is it Grr? Max? Mustard? Polarbear? Chief?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
("M2Dave")
M2Dave doesn't play Bane >_>
... Does he? What I'm trying to say is if he is going to base his example on a "best Bane in the US" then I want to know who it was because our MU chart has it 6-4 Bane and its made by multiple "best Banes in the US". Also thinking trident scoop and trident rush are means to zone Bane out are... funny, but wrong.

Personally I think the man has all the tools to be in top form. However there's one thing that Aquaman doesn't have that a lot of the debated top characters do. "Luck game" Aquaman doesn't ever "out luck" anyone, aquaman doesn't "out gimmick" anyone and he most certainly doesn't out "ambiguous" anyone. He doesn't have 80000 retarded set-ups that look the same to keep you guessing. Sure he has his "50/50'ish" stuff. But are we going to compare that to Bat Girl's? Can we compare it to Super Man's Corner game? Can we compare it to Joker's low/overheads or corner game? How about Black Adam's "Will it hit, trap, cross up shenanigans" Killer Frosts and MMH's Which way will it hit game? Flash's guaranteed touch to 65 to 70% life gone? He's got the tools to compete, but he doesn't really have any "HOLY SHIT MAN WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT" on his side to confuse the opponent and make him/her start second guessing himself. >_>; He still good though.

Oh we can't compare him to Bane's fuck you armor either.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
inb4 a million people come into this thread and don't realize it's almost a year old and Theo just bumped it for fun

Also to my credit, I was totally right, Aquaman wasn't on Superman/Black Adam level pre patches.

Of course now that they got heavily nerfed it's a different story...

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Personally I think the man has all the tools to be in top form. However there's one thing that Aquaman doesn't have that a lot of the debated top characters do. "Luck game" Aquaman doesn't ever "out luck" anyone, aquaman doesn't "out gimmick" anyone and he most certainly doesn't out "ambiguous" anyone. He doesn't have 80000 retarded set-ups that look the same to keep you guessing. Sure he has his "50/50'ish" stuff. But are we going to compare that to Bat Girl's? Can we compare it to Super Man's Corner game? Can we compare it to Joker's low/overheads or corner game? How about Black Adam's "Will it hit, trap, cross up shenanigans" Killer Frosts and MMH's Which way will it hit game? Flash's guaranteed touch to 65 to 70% life gone? He's got the tools to compete, but he doesn't really have any "HOLY SHIT MAN WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT" on his side to confuse the opponent and make him/her start second guessing himself. >_>; He still good though.

Oh we can't compare him to Bane's fuck you armor either.
Hit the nail on the head.

inb4 a million people come into this thread and don't realize it's almost a year old and Theo just bumped it for fun

Also to my credit, I was totally right, Aquaman wasn't on Superman/Black Adam level pre patches.

Of course now that they got heavily nerfed it's a different story...
If it was bumped for fun, shouldn't we be obligated to bring... "the fun"

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Welp I guess we figured out the answer to this one.

Dey were baddddd.
A few things:

1. ^^This^^
2. Post #200 hold dat
3. Yeah I believe it's some Aquaman players just not taking full advantage of the characters tools. I mean look at Theo, he went rampant at MLG and won with Aquaman (except the Doomsday match in which he played Supes) because he used Aquamans tools correctly. This is one of those characters alongside MMH that dominates footsies with quick far-reaching normals, he has pretty much the best anti-air in the game, he gets 40+% damage off of one bar else he block confirms (if that's the term) into the only blockstring he needs for around 20% chip. He also has a trait which nullifies combos mid-combo unless you somehow manage to launch him first, and even then he can preemptively trait if he makes a mistake to make himself safe. He can pretty much just lame it out and succeed against people without quick 1-hit launchers (besides uppercut, most of which don't even reach far enough to punish him for anything let alone hit before Aquaman can trait up). He's a stupid good character, he's just underrepresented as a main rather than someone's secondary. In my opinion of course...

There once was a man from Atlantis
Who dominated in Injustice
With Trident Rush and
From The Deep, trait on-hand
He won MLG without practice.