What's new

50/50's and mixups toned down?

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Ive read and heard that 50/50s have been toned down from what they were in MKX. From what ive seen there are still 50/50's that lead to combos. And am i right that you can combo from crouching normals like you can in Injustice?

How do you think mixups will play out in this game?

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
You should check out some of the other threads. I'm sure you could find one of the.....5 different threads talking specifically about 50/50s. :rolleyes:

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
From what I've seen, the risk/reward for said 50/50s have been better balanced. Like for example, Sonya has a 50/50 where the overhead option leads to a juggle, but it is unsafe. The low option simply knocks down and is safe on block. So really you'll see them going mostly for the low, in an attempt to condition their opponent to be opened up by the overhead once or twice. It seems this same approach to 50/50s has been taken in regards to the entire cast so far.

As for pokes into specials, I've seen people who've played the MK11 build say that d1 into specials don't combo. I'm assuming you can still cancel into them on block however, in an attempt to steal your turn.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
From what I've seen, the risk/reward for said 50/50s have been better balanced. Like for example, Sonya has a 50/50 where the overhead option leads to a juggle, but it is unsafe. The low option simply knocks down and is safe on block. So really you'll see them going mostly for the low, in an attempt to condition their opponent to be opened up by the overhead once or twice. It seems this same approach to 50/50s has been taken in regards to the entire cast so far.

As for pokes into specials, I've seen people who've played the MK11 build say that d1 into specials don't combo. I'm assuming you can still cancel into them on block however, in an attempt to steal your turn.
Sub Zero's 50/50s do look safe and legit though, and combined with that plus on block it kind of scares me.

16bits commentary during the exhibition matches during the reveal event was probably the most transparent look into NRS's motivations around the games direction.

So regardless of how much we don't know about how the game actually plays with every character, its pretty clear the direction the dev team wants the game to go in is more neutral focused and less 50/50 based

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
16bits commentary during the exhibition matches during the reveal event was probably the most transparent look into NRS's motivations around the games direction.

So regardless of how much we don't know about how the game actually plays with every character, its pretty clear the direction the dev team wants the game to go in is more neutral focused and less 50/50 based
I’m pretty sure he did say pokes into specials combo too when David asked. But the players are saying not...

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
And the run. Let's not forget about the stupid run!
You can find people already saying "how am I going to get in without run". Smh.

Regarding 50/50s, we will see. Some chars will always be based around them, it's an archetype that I personally don't like, to be honest. Throwing a coin doesn't seem the most interesting way to open up someone. The thing is if the risk/reward will be balanced or not this time. I hope they have better criteria balancing the 50/50s than the one they had when they decided to give Scorpion a safe ex tele lol.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
In regards to 16Bit saying that d1’s combo into specials; I’m pretty sure he has already admitted to having misspoke. They do not combo.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I do think defense and neutral has received a significant upgrade since MKX, but I'm not too convinced 50/50's and pressure has been toned down as much as advertised. Time will tell.

From the reveal event it seems like Sub had some really dirty 50/50 mix/setup/loop options, and some from the Brazil event have mentioned the oppressing potential Geras has with mixups or pressure. K&M Raiden breakdown is a defensive player's nightmare. All that is with minimal exposure and only 7 characters to view.

As long as the offense and defense aren't tipping the scales against the other that's all that matters, but I think we need to see a lot more before making a definitive statement on it. Ultimately it would be almost impossible to not tone down from MKX though, but the offense still looks very strong.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Why couldn't they just use dashes like in MK9?
My guess is they wanted to try and add a little depth to movement options. In MKX walking was slowest, but also safe and cost no resource. Forward dash was faster than walking and cost no resource, but was less safe due to no cancelling. Run was fastest and had the most utility, but was tied to the stamina resource.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Why do you insist on posting things like this in every thread? It’s called speculation. If it bothers you so much, you really don’t need to read, let alone comment.
For the same reason why people need to make a damn thread for every little thing instead of just waiting and seeing.
It's compulsory madness.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This must be the 8th post I've seen from you complaining about people discussing Mortal Kombat on a Mortal Kombat forum since the reveal, maybe it's you with the problem?
There is no problem at all.
My point is that people love to go on about their right to their opinion.
But as soon as someone's opinion differs or contradicts theirs, they suddenly don't believe in a right for opinions and start to get hostile.