What's new

3D Collision Detection in 2.5D Games

ELC

Scrublord McGee
First, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for such a proposal, but it seemed to fit more under a generic umbrella of fighting game design.

Anyhow, I've been chatting with a few friends of mine about the wonky collision detection in NRS's recent games, specifically in regards to Flip Stance and which side of the screen you're on, and while I could've forgiven this to some extent in Mortal Kombat 2011 as they directly lifted the engine from the 3D installments and put it into a 2.5D package, they're now on three games with the same wonky collision detection and possibly a fourth coming in the form of Injustice 2.

I'm well aware that it may take some time to fix this, but hell the Smash Bros. series has had this since the N64 days; shouldn't take much work outside of normalizing or 'flattening' relevant collision boxes from 3D to 2D, or if the engine is too complex to filter through, perhaps disabling it in favor of a new engine could work.

As for the current Flip Stance button and how it could work, I believe it's use in delaying wake-ups is still crucial, but even more functionality could be added if it prevented players from jumping as it does during MK9 Fatalities.