What's new

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
So Ive decided to try and approach NW from a different direction.

We know his pressure is bad and basically when a string is done, he is done. To try and change up the spacing a little bit, I've been working 2-3-4 into his pressure as a block string.

Pros:
All three hits are neutral on block
2 and 3 can both be cancelled to axe
The full string pushes you right to very tippy tip edge of F2 range. Sometimes NW will actually come up short on a F2 against a Set To Block training dummy. Im not suggesting using F2 as a follow up, just using that as an indicator of the space you are left at. It grants more pushback than 1221.

Essentially, my thought process is...since we know his pressure is bad...why not play into that. Do a block string that pushes the opponent away far enough that NW has the perfect spacing to Anti-Air, Shoulder check, or honestly...do nothing and wait to react to their opponent.

Also, as a side note to this...with all hits being neutral...NW actually has a legit ability to stagger this string with pokes. While not as exaggerated as the F3 delay, the block stun on 2 and 3 is still weird, which can lead to your opponent mistiming their poke out.

Final thought, the pushback caused from the 3, pushes your opponent out of D3 range for many characters including NW, however F3 will hit. This can lead to opportunities where NW does 2,3...F3...and you whiff punish your opponents poke into full combo.

I know this post is kind of a ramble, I apologize, Im literally sitting in the lab and typing things as I notice them....but I think this string can very much help NW play. The choice between spacing and pressure is more evident in this string than in any other string he has IMO.

Thoughts?

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Nightwolf has strings ? Last time I checked his only move was ff4, kappa. Anyways, when I saw 234 in the title I couldn't even remember how the hell that string looked like. Now that I've checked it, this is some hilarious string, especially on block (dat pushback). Pretty interesting, especially about that 2,3 and F3 to punish low pokes into a combo. Are you sure they cannot interrupt your f3 after 2,3 ?

GGA Saucy Jack

Warning: theory fighting incoming...

Since NW is at 0 after the 3, and F3 is 11...the opponent has a 5 frame window. But, they have to respect that NW can either complete the string with the 4, or cancel to axe after the 3. Any hesitation at all will more than cover the 5 frames.

I havent tested with all characters yet, but so far D3s dont have the range to poke out. Its a mindgame really. A guess and a read. Which for NW is nice, because normally there is no guess involved. When his strings are done...they are done. Lol.

Im not saying anything is for sure as a follow up, but I really thing this string could use more experimenting. Ill check more when I get home tonight about whiffing pokes. Shang and smoke might be able to hit with D3..gotta test more.

NKZero

Noob
Nightwolf has some pretty good strings in terms of spacing and safety. You have some good ideas going on there. I actually wrote a thread that breaks down the 234 and the 114 string in more detail. Look for a thread in these forums entitled: Under-used Nightwolf strings or something like that.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So Ive decided to try and approach NW from a different direction.

We know his pressure is bad and basically when a string is done, he is done. To try and change up the spacing a little bit, I've been working 2-3-4 into his pressure as a block string.

Pros:
All three hits are neutral on block
2 and 3 can both be cancelled to axe
The full string pushes you right to very tippy tip edge of F2 range. Sometimes NW will actually come up short on a F2 against a Set To Block training dummy. Im not suggesting using F2 as a follow up, just using that as an indicator of the space you are left at. It grants more pushback than 1221.

Essentially, my thought process is...since we know his pressure is bad...why not play into that. Do a block string that pushes the opponent away far enough that NW has the perfect spacing to Anti-Air, Shoulder check, or honestly...do nothing and wait to react to their opponent.

Also, as a side note to this...with all hits being neutral...NW actually has a legit ability to stagger this string with pokes. While not as exaggerated as the F3 delay, the block stun on 2 and 3 is still weird, which can lead to your opponent mistiming their poke out.

Final thought, the pushback caused from the 3, pushes your opponent out of D3 range for many characters including NW, however F3 will hit. This can lead to opportunities where NW does 2,3...F3...and you whiff punish your opponents poke into full combo.

I know this post is kind of a ramble, I apologize, Im literally sitting in the lab and typing things as I notice them....but I think this string can very much help NW play. The choice between spacing and pressure is more evident in this string than in any other string he has IMO.

Thoughts?
the same theory you stated i use 1221 for. its neutral with pushback giving me opportunity to react. it can be hit confirmed more easily imo and it also grants a free throw on hit (+7) it grabs them out of every animation except jumping...but I can always jab at them if they jump. His game and pressure revolve heavily around his throw.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
the same theory you stated i use 1221 for. its neutral with pushback giving me opportunity to react. it can be hit confirmed more easily imo and it also grants a free throw on hit (+7) it grabs them out of every animation except jumping...but I can always jab at them if they jump. His game and pressure revolve heavily around his throw.
agreed man,nightwolf like raiden is all about grabs.

GGA Saucy Jack

Nkzero - im ashamed i didnt read that thread before. I do have to disagree with one small point, in my testing so far after a blocked 2,3 you are in range for F3, no dash needed. But seriously, great stuff in that thread, maybe this one and that one could be merged?

Lordofthefly - i totally agree about the properties of 1221. It can be used in much the same way. And im not saying 234 should replace 1221, but, 1221 doesnt have anything at 0 unless you complete the entire string IIRC....whereas 234 is at 0 on all hits. Also, that sweet spot after the 3 is something no other string has.

Just trying to find a little more glitter on this dirt character. Lol. I think the mind games from 23 can be another effective tool, thats all.

NKZero

Noob
Nkzero - im ashamed i didnt read that thread before. I do have to disagree with one small point, in my testing so far after a blocked 2,3 you are in range for F3, no dash needed. But seriously, great stuff in that thread, maybe this one and that one could be merged?

Lordofthefly - i totally agree about the properties of 1221. It can be used in much the same way. And im not saying 234 should replace 1221, but, 1221 doesnt have anything at 0 unless you complete the entire string IIRC....whereas 234 is at 0 on all hits. Also, that sweet spot after the 3 is something no other string has.

Just trying to find a little more glitter on this dirt character. Lol. I think the mind games from 23 can be another effective tool, thats all.
Thanks man. Ok maybe I was wrong. So 23 and 114 put you in F3 range. I'm interested in messing with Nightwolf again :). He's so fun.