What's new

Breakthrough - Smoke 114-Phase is +4 on block

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
After enough testing I decided to share this information, as I've seen no mention of it yet whatsoever.
114 - Phase Towards is +4 on block, I know this because Smoke is only at risk of trading with a 6 frame normal, 7 frame normals cannot touch him if followed up with f4 (10 frame true mid).

114-Phase is also character specific in the sense that it will Flip Screen (this is important, because you have to dial in f4 frame-perfect after the Phase) Here's the list of characters:

114-Phase Flip Screen:
Bo Rai Cho, D'Vorah, Ermac, Ferra/Tor, Goro, Jacqui, Jax, Johnny, Kano, Kenshi, Kitana, Kotal Kahn, Kung Jin, Kung Lao, Mileena, Reptile, Scorpion, Shinnok, Sonya, Sub Zero, Tanya

114-Phase No Flip Screen:
Alien, Cassie, Erron Black, Leatherface, Liu Kang, Predator, Quan Chi, Raiden, Takeda, Tremor, Triborg

What does this mean for Smoke?

More mindgames:

Opponent is at risk if he's pressing any buttons slower than 6 frames and including jumpouts, full combo off f42, f43, f4d12. After proper conditioning, you can be safe to go for a mixup. If opponent is backdashing, you can use b2 (14 frame far advancing mid) instead.
More meter-gain:
3 hits on block + a special, after conditioning you can reloop this after Vortex situations
More hit-confirming:
114 combos midscreen into EX Trident, for full corner carry
(credit to @BornThroughAshes)

What does this mean for Opponents?

Similar to... everything in Smoke's toolset, there is a way to counter this, some ideas:
- +4 isn't a huge advantage so backdashing or challenging with 7 frame normals (which are common since MKXL) are viable options, but admittedly there's risk to it.
- 114 holds a gap before the 4, this adds pressure to Smoke's 111 string, but the pressure can be completely negated similar to Scorpions 214 cancels on a read/reaction
- Armoring after Phase is also a good solution, hoooooowever, I've found that Smoke is capable of Phasing again before Armor as fast as 7 frames and remain invincible, the cost being a read, full stamina or 1 bar for EX-phasing.
Video for demonstration:
(Cyclone is a unique Armor move, keep in mind you can Cross-Phase other Characters for better punishing/pressure)

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Did some testing with this man. Seems you get more frame adv from standing opponents, and less on crouching.

Consistently beat 6 frame pokes w f4 (after 114 phase) against standing opponents. Get trades on crouching opponents...

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Did some testing with this man. Seems you get more frame adv from standing opponents, and less on crouching.

Consistently beat 6 frame pokes w f4 (after 114 phase) against standing opponents. Get trades on crouching opponents...
I found this as well- tested against Mileena's D1, albeit only for about 15 minutes.
Wasn't sure if I was just timing something weird with her D1, as I couldn't spend too much time on it.