What's new

107 win streak in SFV

Hi TYM, so I did play 16+ hours non-stop SFV by now and I was able to achieve a 107 win streak.
I have gathered quite a bit experience / knowledge about SFV which I wanted to share.

COMBOS

SFV's combo timing feels different compared to USF4, but in a good way. It rly depends, but as Ryu I find his USF4 and SF5 combos are on the same difficulty lvl since I can pull them off on a very consistent basis on both games. But for Nash and Guile, I got to say that Guile's combos are much more difficult compared to Nash's normal BNBs, but on the other hand his teleport cancels are quite tricky and overall
Nash is probably the more difficult character to learn and master compared to Guile. Ye, I know Capcom stated that there are no 1 frame links, but I have seen Alioune Sensei actually releasing some vids of 1 frame links in SFV. I think SFV rly needs more time and ppl will find out even more stuff about this game.

PARRY

I think it is very practical, It just takes time to learn it properly. Since the training room is always only available for a short amount of time until the next match starts I am not able to check every single parry situation vs specific characters. I think it is very useful. There are several special moves which help other characters to get close from mid range such as Nash's forward flashkick or Cammy's spiral arrow. You can always react to those with parry + full combo instead of taking any chip damage. Other than that there are many pokes such as Ken's step kick ( what Combofiend usually does ) or Nash's forward HP - parry those from the distance you know they are gonna hit - the parry usually recovers fast enough so you can block in case you didn't parry those. Last but not least it's impossible to jump over several close range ultras such as Ryu's. Same here, in case of taking any chip, parry it + full combo punish. With the time SFV players will figure out even more ways how effective the parry in SFV can be.

RYU STUFF

There are quite a few things I have figured out on the next day. Ryu can combo from his overhead now which is rly good. Ryu has many unblockable Denjin setups which gives him quite a huge advantage over the rest of the cast until players will figure out similar stuff with other characters. I will post some of these when the beta goes officially online again. His st.MP is rly good in SFV. It basically replaced what his cr.MK used to be in USF4. His target combo has great range, but it does whiff on crouching opponents. His new parry is probably his best new addition, but it does take time to train how to parry properly and since SFV beta only gives you a short amount of time in training mode until the next online match starts, I am not able to spend enough time into the lab with his parry vs different characters in specific situations. His V Trigger is quite solid to extend his combos up to 650 damage + stun. I've seen many people get knocked down in the corner or just get locked down by a pattern of fast, slow, charged and EX fireballs. It also recovers very fast when you time the charging right - you can see this @ 1:09 in this vid - so you will always be able to SRK them. His air tatsu feels stronger in SFV compared to USF4 - you have seen me doing this all the time. The only thing that got nerfed about his air tatsu is that it doesn't cross you up anymore. His close up game feels stronger than in USF4, but I am not 100% sure about this since my main characters in USF4 were Guile and Blanka and I only played Ryu sometimes for fun.

V TRIGGER

It's quite good, but it rly depends on what character you play.
I find Nash's V Trigger way to expensive for what it does. The teleport should only cost 1 meter IMO. Ryu's on the other hand is quite good to extend his combos for huge damage in order to make a comeback or just to charge his hadouken and when you time it right you will catch many players off guard trying to jump in - it recovers very fast ( you can see this @ 1:09 on the vid ) - so you can SRK then. Birdie can setup some 870 damage combos with V Trigger and Cammy got some insane reset potential which are rly difficult to block.
Overall it seems like a good addition in SFV, although I did prefer FA FADC and stuff in USF4.

NORMALS

From my experience the majority of normal attacks still have the same range it seems.
Some normals might have changed - range wise.
But what also changed is that some normal attacks startups are different now in SFV + some pokes even got worse. Guile's forward HP used to be very good to keep opponents away or just as AA, but now Nash's forward HP comes out rly slow and it isn't safe on block. Most ppl don't know this yet or otherwise you will get punished by a full combo every single time. Same goes for Ken's step kick. While it causes a knockdown now, it's also not safe on block anymore like it used to be in USF4.

There is still plenty of time though until the final product will get released and I got my hopes high that Capcom will do the right things once SFV is finally out.

CONNECTION

The netcode is one of the best I have ever experienced in any fighting game over the last 7 years. I would even go so far saying it's way better than SC5 and DOA5LR netcode.
I am able to play vs US without any lag and that's only the SFV beta!

Thanks for reading.
If anyone got some further questions, feel free to ask me.