What's new

10 Things This Scrub Learned from the MK11 Beta

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
DISCLAIMER: This thread exposes me as a scrub and will likely seem like common knowledge to most players on TYM inciting responses like “Yeah...der. Why is this even a thread?” I’m okay with this. I feel like it needs to be shared because it also shows how great MK11 really is and may help other players trying to make the next leap in their play.

The “Empty Space/Neutral/Freedom” in this game seems to connect with my brain more than ever before and really helped open my eyes to just how deep this game is (and fighting games in general). Back in 2013 I bought 1 lesson from Perfect Legend to learn “footsies and fundamentals” for IGAU. I can’t say I really learned footsies but I did learn the concept of understanding your options and having a “complete flowchart.” I took this to mean “Understand your follow up attacks and have some ‘go to’ moves that work more often than not.” This strategy worked well enough to take me from a guy that could really only land a couple of BnBs and spammed specials to someone with an offensive game plan that could be tough to deal with for casual players. Then MKX is released. I was exactly the type of player that actual good players hated to see. My offensive gameplan was shallow and predictable but with the help of unreactable 50/50 and much improved BnB muscle memory I was still able to take lots of games off of players. With IJ2 I tried to main Green Lantern, Scarecrow, and Sub Zero before dropping the game entirely. I learned some spacing with GL’s B1 and the power of command grabs, but I found myself going back to MK9 Ladder when I had a fighting game itch. Needless to say, my mind was about to explode when I could finally conceptualize how deep and amazing MK11 really is.

Fast Forward to the MK11 Beta and what this scrub learned. In the stress test I split my time between Scorpion and Baraka. For the actual Beta I played 99% Jade.

Lesson 1 - Defense
Defense matters. Strong defense requires a much deeper understanding of the game than an offense of just guessing if you should use your overhead, low, d1, d2, or fast special. You need to have a deep understanding of what your opponent can do. You have to understand when it’s your turn. You have to understand what your options are once it finally IS your turn. You need to have real and complete game knowledge. An example of complete game knowledge is Tom Brady’s video explaining how to fuzzy guard Kabal’s mixup. If you don’t know these things cold then you are just guessing randomly and gambling that it might work. The scary part is that sometimes it WILL work. These things then can turn into bad habits and transform you into a “pattern player” who gets wins but who would get bopped by any good player. In most cases, however, you will just get run over by a player who is better than you. You can see in this match how I’m completely outclassed and it looks like I don’t even know that blocking is a thing. I was guessing/scrambling and I got ran over. If you watched the Eleaguetv thing you probably saw a lot of matches that looked like this on Reo’s stream. The weaker player doesn’t have the defensive skill to even reach the point of neutral footsies once the stronger player gets on top of them.

Lesson 2 - The corner is your enemy.
I know I know, this one is fighting games 101. The thing I want to talk about here isn’t just knowing that you don’t want to be cornered. The thing here is to be actively working toward keeping yourself out of that terrible situation preemptively. Most of the time I would find myself in the corner because I was just trying to be patient and “play footsies” and then POOF the stage ran out. I simply wasn’t being mindful of the stage length. Getting put into the corner means you already lost the “footsie war” even if you did get a nice whiff punish in the process. Every character in the game needs to “challenge” at some point to avoid getting cornered. Sonicfox put out a video on footsies recently that really helped open my eyes to “challenging” in the neutral as the main way to avoid getting cornered. I still don’t remember to do it, but at least I have it on my “to practice” list now. Haha

Lesson 3 - Anti-airing is a mindset.
In general I’m always so focused “when is it my turn” that I am free to jump ins. If I just successfully blocked something you better believe I’m doing some kind of string (probably a high starter like an idiot), d1~throw, or d1d1d4. If I don’t go into a match saying “Hey scrub make sure you anti-air” and then keep repeating it then I’ll just eat jump ins for the rest of the match. Then usually I get mad that I didn’t anti-air and mess up blocking a simple block string. Having just a tiny amount of patience and a micro walkback followed by Jade’s godlike D2 is so satisfying when you actually do it on purpose. Good players do this on purpose all the time because they are thinking and making reads. They read that an opponent may jump this time and they are ready for it with an easy D2 on reaction...if not more.

Lesson 4 - The Poke War.
Sonicfox touches on this concept in his footsies video but I really liked Circus’ breakdown of it in his video called The Poke War. In the stress test I was getting eaten alive by any skarlett player who would d1 into walkback whiff punish. My tiny brain couldn’t make sense of how it felt like everything she did would hit me and all of my buttons were out of range. I was getting outspaced and my opponent was playing footsies. I was guessing and mashing wakeup...like a scrub. The poke war can go any number of ways based on the specific players in the match. The best players see and REMEMBER what you do during each of these poke encounters. Also there is a good chance that the better player has been in way more poke wars and just naturally more likely to react in time as WELL as make the right read. The good player can make the read, they understand what options they have based on that read and then they execute the best option based on that read OR the option that covers the most amount of options of the opponent/safest if they are playing more conservatively. Doing D1d1d4 because it works isn’t a read. It’s a “get off me” habit. If a good player reads that the opponent will D1 after getting D1’d then the good player will walk back and whiff punish hard. The scrub panics and spams D1 or other similar tactics. This isn’t a read. This is panicking

Lesson 5 - Jumping is more than just the scrub’s tool for approaching.
This one is mostly connected with Circus’ video on the poke war but I think it needs to be listed separately. The jump is an incredibly powerful tool when you start using it correctly. Any mid level player can tell you that a neutral jump beats a command grab. Any MKX scrub can tell you NJP to victory is a real thing. I wish I could find the mkx spoof video making fun on players that just NJP all day. Anyways, if you can be smart with your jumps they can add so many extra punishes and pressure chances that you are probably leaving on the table without realizing it. Just because you are standing next to your opponent doesn’t mean you should forget that jump exists until the next time you need to get in. Be mindful of the options that neutral jump, jump over, and double jump over provide and what reads you will need to make in order to make best use of these.

Lesson 6 - Remember what got punished then adapt.
Respect it when you get punished. Way too often I fall into the “Maybe it will work this time” mindset. The truth is that is probably won’t. If you go for a basic setup and your opponent punishes you...maybe...just maybe they’ve seen that setup before and they will be ready to punish it every single time. You have no one to blame but yourself for doing something that gets punished more than once especially if you go for it again right away and you don’t at least try to condition the opponent to block something else. Don’t be like me who gets wake up rolled into a full combo every single time because I go for a Jade’s meaty F21 after almost every knockdown I get. If you get punished 3 times in a row because you did air glaives, took two steps, then shadow kicked...maybe you should change your gameplan.

Lesson 7 - Review the list of things to look out for and react to.
Every character has their certain things to respect and look out for. Most of the time this involves blocking low and then reacting to a slow overhead. Scorpion has teleport, kabal has nomad dash, and once the game is out everyone will have something. Game knowledge needs to be known cold for things like frame data, but the process of reviewing those things in my head right before the match starts really helps my reactions to slow overheads and punishes. If I don’t do this mental review then there is about a 99% chance that I won’t react to the first slow overhead or maybe my first punish is a frame too slow because I simply forgot to be looking for it. The best players rely on their reactions, but they are usually predictive reactions and not raw reactions. If you aren’t using your predictive reactions then you are getting hit a lot more than you need to be.

Lesson 8 - Play the player...not the character.
Just like Poker. You play the player...not your cards.
I subscribe to the theory that there are 3 phases to “git gud” at a fighting game.
  1. Learn to execute your buttons and moves. “Learn combos bro.”
  2. Game knowledge. Memorize frame data of everyone and “learn matchup options.”
  3. Mind Games - Play the player
Reviewing what a specific character can do is certainly a helpful practice, but in the end you are playing another human who will be trying to beat you using a set of tools that comes in the form of the character they chose. This means you need to remember what this opponent just did to you and what the following mixup might be. The more things you remember about your opponent the faster you will download their game. If you are too busy being surprised that a character can do certain things then you aren’t busy remembering how your opponent used those tools and so you aren’t ready to play the player. You are back to random guessing and not making reads. You need more game knowledge. This game puts way more stress on the player making the right play and much less on the tools of the given character, but learning the game is still a prerequisite. This game isn’t really about footsies. It’s about reads. The improvement in the footsies game just makes this more apparent to scrubs like me.

Lesson 9 - Why I am a Scrub
This game taught me why I am a scrub. I am a scrub because I rely on strategies that work “most of the time” instead of playing patiently while making the best possible decision based on what I think my opponent will do. Mortal Kombat 11, a game about making reads, exposed me as a scrub to myself because it taught me that I wasn’t really making reads at all. Even if I was making reads I wasn’t doing anything close to the best possible option for that read and at best was “guessing” that something might work. Put it simply, if you aren’t making reads then you aren’t really playing MK11.

Lesson 10 - How to fix it.
I’m exposed as a scrub. So what next? It’s really kinda simple. Take the time to memorize the game and put a top priority on making reads and then executing the best possible option to that read. Also...watch lots of replays of myself. I’ll be playing slower than doing my basic setups on autopilot and I’ll probably lose a lot, but it will eventually pay off to change my mindset from “setups, combos, and wins” to “make the next read and execute your best option.” MK11 has already made me a better player just from a Beta. When the game finally drops it is going to be nuts.

SECOND DISCLAIMER: Some of the assumptions I made in this post might be flat out wrong. If so please tell me. This is the only way I’ll get better and hopefully other players will find the feedback helpful as well.

Here is a sample of my play to get an idea of how scrubby I am. The first set is my first online set with Jade against GGA Jeremiah’s Kabal where I relied heavily on her zoning after messing around with builds in towers.

The second set is the very last set I played in the beta against prettyboyjackal's run cancel Jade where most zoning options were shut down thanks to the threat of glow.

TL;DR

Turns out I’m a scrub...that sucks.
The Free Space/Neutral/Freedom in MK11 showed me the light.
MK11 is all about the reads.
Doing something that works isn’t the same as making a read and punishing.
You can’t make a read and react with the best option unless you really know the game.
MK11 has everything you need to take your game to the next level if you work for it.

Hopefully someone out there learns something from my journey of Scrub Discovery.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
This type of metacognition is absolutely necessary when trying to improve. I admittedly didn't read everything but this is the type of content we need more of, less of "why kabal top 1 again nrs pls"
Thanks man. I realized halfway through writing it that it's way too long for most people, but it was more to help me learn anyways. haha

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Great write up man!

I'm loving how in MK11, there is a clear reason you could point to for getting hit. I feel like this is the game where NRS players are going to improve fundamentally and have fun while improving, which is important.

I'm so glad that my video helped a bit too, but what is really going to help in the long run is writing this thread out. Sometimes the best ways to get better isn't continuing to hit your head against a wall, but instead taking a break and reflecting on what you could do to improve in certain situations.

I hope this thread helps more people out too.

Last edited:

IamBatface

www.mixer.com/WilfyDee
This is why I love fighting games. Injustice 2 was the first game I ever reached "Level One" and was 100x better at that game then any other I played, and I had played a ton, but I still only learned enough and got good enough to realise how little I actually knew and how bad I was. Thats why I am looking forward to MK11, to start a game with that most basic of basic knowledge and building upon it to hopefully reach that next stage.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
This is a great fucking post man! These things, although basic, a lot of us need to hear (and hear again and again), myself included.

I'm only a mid level player as well and need to work on a lot of the points listed.

Hopefully this helps multiple players here level up!

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Great write up man!

I'm loving how in MK11, there is a clear reason you could point to for getting hit. I feel like this is the game where NRS players are going to improve fundamentally and have fun while improving, which is important.

I'm so glad that my video helped a bit too, but what is really going to help in the long run is writing this thread out. Sometimes the best ways to get better isn't continuing to hit your head against a wall, but instead taking a break and reflecting on what you could do to improve in certain situations.

I hope this thread helps more people out too.
Yeah man. It was a huge help. I am really looking forward to seeing more of your content once the game drops. Also I think you are right about doing the write up in the first place. Now I basically have a get better "to do" list.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Bought a lesson from PL lol. I can't believe anybody would pay that man money but good write up.
I had no one to play with and $10 bucks for an hour with a 2 time evo champ seemed like a great deal. I realize that in 2019 buying lessons is a meme, but back then I just loved the game and wanted to get better.

we do, some are just elitists.
Tom in his last video he was invicting illuminatis to ditch they group and teach/play new players
Your posts are some of my favorite on the site. Some of us appreciate all your hard work Eddy. Thanks!

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
as much as I'd like to be here more.. My opinions, thoughts, and anything with me in or on it hasn't been welcomed or wanted here in almost 5 years. Wish I was able to do more.
Lots of things change in 5 years. Doesnt mean you shouldn't try. Mk11 is a fresh new game, time fro a fresh new TYM to go along with it.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
as much as I'd like to be here more.. My opinions, thoughts, and anything with me in or on it hasn't been welcomed or wanted here in almost 5 years. Wish I was able to do more.
Frankly, the vocal minority whose attitude is unwelcoming are the small bandwagon I think you should care the least about. You, @REO, @THTB and the other people who know what they're on about are the reason I'm half decent at fighting games.

I think the next generation of noobs need you guys as much as we did back in 2011 if not more.

@Tom Brady I still love you buddy. Haters gonna hate.

This was a fun look at someone's brain.

If I may make a recommendation, never forget that scrubs win too. If you break down the best players, they all make mistakes. A scrub trap is to fixate too much on a small error and collapse. We are all guilty of it from time to time. But the most exciting sets are plagued with bad decisions and ending in dramatic come backs.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Sorry to hear that. I know me and others wouldnt be where we are without you. Just keep grinding your content and we will keep supporting you how we can.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I say you offer your opinion anyways, far more will take the advise than the few who with criticize it.
Don't let them get to you man just pop in and say what you think. Especially since this is such a good constructive thread. Someone is actually trying to better themselves.

Reactions: Zev

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
@Mind Flex
Props for making this thread. Good constructive write-up keep it up and adapt while recognizing your mistakes.

I wanna say you actually did good in most of those matches you just don't know the matchup yet which is understandable since it's the beta. I hope you get archived.