What's new

“This movie had no titties, no funny, and no kung fu" - Why you *must* watch "Dolemite Is My Name"

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter

Official Trailer:

I recently watched this for the 2nd time, and goddamn, it just might be my favorite movie. Sorry, Robocop, Terminator 2, and A New Hope, but Dolemite is My Name is a transcendental experience that has forever changed me. A mere status update urging TYM to watch this movie simply wouldn't suffice, as I would be doing a disservice to anyone and everyone I failed to convince.

First off, if you're not familiar with the original Dolemite, here is that trailer:

Dolemite is My Name is basically a biopic of Dolemite, the man, and how he ended up making his movie. This is Eddie Murphy at his goddamn best. As someone who hasn't given much of a shit about Murphy since the early 90's, it's so refreshing to see him starring in such a hilarious, off-beat, and filthy movie. Fucking Blade, himself, Wesley Snipes, also gives an incredible performance as the reluctant and dumbfounded director of the Dolemite movie. Keegan Michael Key, Craig Robinson, and Tituss Burgess also give fun and memorable performances.

This was a passion project, a movie Murphy has been trying to make for decades, and you can tell he's loving every second of it. The fact he was snubbed at the Oscars is legit blasphemy.

The movie is chock-full of nudity, filthy language, and, of course, kung fu. It's a hard R, for sure. It's also maybe the funniest movie I've ever seen. What really sets it apart, though, is that despite how filthy it is, it's one of the most fun and upbeat movies I can think of. You will legit just feel happy the entire time you're watching it. Despite setback after setback, nothing keeps Dolemite down for long, whether that means marketing his comedy rap album himself, clearing out heroine addicts from a derelict building so he can film there, or having to pay to show his own movie, he just keeps on going and nobody can keep him down for long. He's just a nice man who loves comedy, titties, and kung fu, and he knows in his heart of hearts that's all anyone else wants in a good movie.

So please, please, please do yourself a favor and watch this movie today. You can find it streaming on Netflix and I assure you, you will not be disappointed. 10/10, 5-stars, two big thumbs up!

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
This movie was terrible imo. Just a big nothing. Do yourself a favour and just read the wiki about the films and the actor.. this is one of those "true" stories that takes a lot of liberty with the "truth" and low entertainment beyond the story being interesting. Not entertaining, interesting. This is one of those films, like Richard Jewel that just get nothing from being a scripted film, and would have been way WAY better as a doco, or.. just read the wiki and do some googleing about it.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
I have a lot of respect for Eddie Murphy and when I heard he’s coming back to do stand up I got super excited and even hopefully about the movie. Then I saw the trailer (where they usually show some of the best bits) and didn’t smile once. I hope if he does end up doing stand up it’s hella epic otherwise just make another nutty professor and retire.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Never saw it for me Eddie's best movies were coming to America, the movie where hes small I forget the name, the nutty professor and of course Beverly Hills cop. Nothing else hes done tops those imo from everything else I've seen him in. I'll check this out though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Speaking of the title of this thread, I was just thinking about this literally early today. That a Rated R movie could be terrible, BUT, if there’s nudity, you at least get something out of it. That’s why I think all rated R movies should show some nudity. It guarantees that your movie, even if it’s garbage, won’t technically be a waste of time!

Never saw it for me Eddie's best movies were coming to America, the movie where hes small I forget the name, the nutty professor and of course Beverly Hills cop. Nothing else hes done tops those imo from everything else I've seen him in. I'll check this out though.
It was a troll lol. Pluto Nash is hot butt cheeks!
I think Boomerang and Coming to America were Eddie’s best films.

MKF30

It was a troll lol. Pluto Nash is hot butt cheeks!
I think Boomerang and Coming to America were Eddie’s best films.
Oh. Ok lol. Boomerang? Golden child I've heard of, but never heard of boomerang lol.

He was supposed to do a Beverly hills cop 4 but heard it got postponed or canned.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
This movie was terrible imo. Just a big nothing. Do yourself a favour and just read the wiki about the films and the actor.. this is one of those "true" stories that takes a lot of liberty with the "truth" and low entertainment beyond the story being interesting. Not entertaining, interesting. This is one of those films, like Richard Jewel that just get nothing from being a scripted film, and would have been way WAY better as a doco, or.. just read the wiki and do some googleing about it.
You really went into it expecting a documentary lmao

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Donkey.

That's not a knock, because I love Eddie Murphy and Trading Places and all his classics were great, but when I think of Eddie Murphy, and what his best contribution to my life is, I think Donkey.

DeftMonk

Noob
You really went into it expecting a documentary lmao
hes saying a documentary showing the honest truth in its unhollywooded form would have been more interesting than making a movie that isnt funny. Eddie hasn't made a good movie since I don't know when. He was mainly a huge star from SnL and stand up anyway. He killed that shit.

MKF30

hes saying a documentary showing the honest truth in its unhollywooded form would have been more interesting than making a movie that isnt funny. Eddie hasn't made a good movie since I don't know when. He was mainly a huge star from SnL and stand up anyway. He killed that shit.
I agree, Eddie was great on snl not like now where it sucks ass with stupid crackheads like Pete davidson. The shows really dmgone down the toilet.

asddgd

Noob
This movie was great, but you have to appreciate blaxplotation films to really get any enjoyment. I mean Dolemite and the original movie were the inspiration for Black Dynamite. Do you think Jackie Brown or Undercover Brother would’ve happened if not for Dolemite? Personal taste is one thing, not liking dry humor is another, but shunning a very important era of the film industry is just crazy. I know noones really dogging the original so far, but for all future readers, watch the dang movie, especially if you want to see the original. Originals good but i find it would be lost on most due to the time difference