What's new

Guide Zatanna Full Character Guide (Tech, Combos, Pressures, and Shenanigans)

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Hey guys, Gthug here with a full character guide on Zatanna. Because there is just so much information to put in here I’m going to be breaking it up into sections. Also, this is an advanced guide for Zatanna for people who don’t understand her and for people who want to better use the character. So I won’t be going over every single string she has, but I will focus on the essentials and how to effectively use her.

A. Character breakdown

B. Essential strings and specials to use

C. Starting the Match

D. Safe Teleports

E. Combos with 0, 1, 2, and 3 bars.

F. Map Combos

G. Pressure (f2,1)

H. Trait Traps

I. Crazy Shenanigans

J. Corner Pressure

A. Character Breakdown

1. Zatanna is an extraordinarily versatile player with an amazing zoning game that can be followed up with a dangerous rush down game due to her fast teleport. It gives her easy full screen control and keeps the opponent chasing her down, eventually baiting them into doing something punishable. Once Zatanna punishes she goes into insane set ups that are constantly chopping away at the opponents health through chip and vortex. Zatanna’s combos (or at least the one’s I use) are designed to push the opponent across most of the screen into the corner. Once they’re in the corner, Zatanna’s pressure is disgustingly good to cause a vortex after every combo, and even if they guess right she does excellent chip damage.

The sorceress’s strengths lie more in becoming so unpredictable that it keeps your opponent guessing and usually prompts them to do stupid moves that lead to all her traps. She has the zoning tools to keep out most all of the characters as even knocking someone in the air with a ring can lead into Puppet Master MB (b,f,3) which goes right into her combo traps. But with her teleport she can go behind zoning oriented characters and punish so therefore she’s a zoner and an anti zoner, which, in my opinion, clearly places her in the top 10. At 8th would be generous but I wouldn’t go any lower than 11th.

B. Essential Strings and Specials

1. In terms of strings, the ones people should be using is:

· 1,1,2 Her fastest start up string that hits mid, the first 1 can be ducked under but this works as an excellent string after a teleport or applying pressure. Best followed with Multi Kick MB (b,f,1)

· 1,1,d3 Again same start up and the last one hits low and will knock the opponent to the ground.

· 2,2,3 A slightly slower start up but is very effective to use after a d1 as there is just a slight break for them to react, but it will catch them out of most any move other than armor and parry. Best followed up with Puppet Master MB (b,f,3)

· F2, 1 This is the heart of Zatanna’s pressure game. Every single combo in the corner and most all midscreen combos should be ended with this string because it puts the opponent in a hit stun where all they’ll be able to do is either eat chip or take a full combo with her vortex. I’ll focus more on this later.

· B2, 1 An excellent high damage overhead string that has a slower start up. This should only be used in mid combo after Puppet Master MB, or as a vortex option after F2, 1. Good mix up option.

• B2, 3 A good use of her meterless vortex for solid combo damage, hits overhead but slow start up.
· B1, U3 A great low starting combo that will launch the opponent into the air to be followed up for a free combo. I almost always use this string first once I knock my opponent into a corner vortex.

· Puppet Master (b, f, 3) A great zoning tool that, if it hits, will reverse the opponents controls for short period of time. So it can be an effective combo ender, the meter burn will put the opponent in a trance similar to Quan Chi’s move in MK9.

· Multi Kick (b, f, 1) Excellent pressure option that does good chip, I believe the meter burn version does around 10%, meter burn also launches the opponent in the air for easy combo. Her best wake up option.

· Linking Rings (d, b, 1) A good zoning tool that can be directed upward or downward much like Kung Lao’s hat in MK9. If it hits the opponent it’ll stagger them, so immediately follow up with either a behind teleport (d, u, f) or Puppet Master. If it hits them in the air, you can easily convert with a Puppet Master MB for a free combo. Meter Burn version fires the rings out faster and will knock the opponent down, also does excellent chip so a good option every once in a while when zoning, but meter management is key so don’t throw it out too often.

· Teleport (d, u/ d, u, f/ d, u, b) The essential tools of Zatanna here. Great options for wake up so that the opponent will whiff pressure, but if her teleport behind becomes predictable it is easily punishable if randomly thrown out.

· Smoke and Mirrors (d, d, 3) Honestly… this move is more of a troll than anything, although incredibly amusing. Holding f will make the closest Zatanna the actual one, where as holding b will make the farthest from the opponent the actual Zatanna. It can be effective in some major mind games and does have some crazy reset potential in some combos.

· Fire Kiss (d, b, 2) Her absolutely best option for setting up her trait. Meter Burn throws a massive slow moving fire ball that can be used for insane traps, my favorite move by far.

· Zatara Dive (d, b, 3 in the air) An incredibly effective move for countering people jumping in. Also the instant air dive is an excellent move to use in pressure if you think the opponent is going to try and jump or poke out. Does good damage but the meter burn isn’t really worth using. Good combo ender occasionally.

C. Starting the Match

1. To start, typically I go for teleport away. I can start my zoning game immediately and create comfortable space. Also on maps like the Plaza or Themyscira she can just teleport away and use intractable to start pressure immediately. The other started I often do is a j3, it stuffs most other people's jump ins, and on hit you can follow up with 112 Puppet Master MB and launch into a full combo from there. On block Zatanna can follow up with a d1 Multi kicks or 112 teleport away. I also often use an instant air Zatara Dive. It’s fast and most of the time catches the opponent off guard if they're jumping in, and if it hits then it knocks the opponent about half screen away so it’s a good position for Zatanna to start a zoning game. It also stuffs most other standing starters. The issue, however is that if this move is blocked it is easily punished so the opponent could start off with a full combo which doesn’t fair well. Or if you’re playing against someone who you think will start off with something punishable, just hold block, and worst comes to worst you can counter. There are some characters where this is the smartest options such as Green Lantern and WonderWoman. Another option, a little more riskier, but has caught several people off guard if you start with a teleport behind (d, u, f) and try to pull off a combo if they usually start off with blocking or a standing attack.

D. Safe Teleports

1. Safe teleports are absolutely 100% essential to practice for Zatanna. There is a short time after she teleports where the opponent can attack and dish out easy damage, maybe even a full combo. So spamming the Teleport Behind (d, u, f) is a poor decision. Her teleport away is an excellent tool to avoid opponents from jumping in and continuing the zoning game, if you keep moving away and across the screen the opponent will eventually get sick of it and typically tries a high risk move that can easily be blocked and punished. Teleport Away is used to bait risky moves and escape pressure, where as Teleport Behind should be used either as a pressure tool after landing f2, 1, or as a punishing move itself. Teleport away or behind is her best wakeup option typically, avoids almost all pressure followups after knockdown.

The reason Zatanna is an anti zoner is that when an enemy throws a projectile they usually have a slight cool down before they can throw another (Green Arrow is sometimes a difficult characters for this trick) so once someone pulls out a projectile, teleport behind them and you can go into a full combo. Zatanna destroys Deathstroke and other characters that rely heavily on zoning. Green Arrow is especially difficult because for some reason he often turns quick enough that the projectile will hit you anyways when you teleport, and his recovery time is incredibly fast after his arrows that he can (if he’s god like fast or the computer) punish the teleport. Her teleport can also be used to punish people throwing intractable, once they pick it up she can teleport behind them and they’ll whiff and she can punish with an anti air (d2, b3, ji2 j2, 112 Puppet Master) as they fall back to the ground.

E. Combos

1. Every single one of Zatanna’s combos should always end with either f2, 1 (Continue pressure)/ Puppet Master (For damage and reverses controls)/ Fire Kiss mb (strictly for trait set up)/ Trait (if no meter for fire kiss)/ j3, Zatara Dive (just for damage and sets up for more zoning)/or some other combo shenanigans I'll cover late. Also, I realize that there are several more damaging combos, but I play for set ups and traps rather than strict damaging combos. Also, I never managed to get the hang of the levitate cancel jump in, so I’m going to leave those combos out. Ending with Zatara Dive means substituting out the j2 with a j3 Zatara Dive. Also you can substitute a j2 with a j3 mid combo, but it’s incredibly difficult and impractical to land on online. And all these combos can start with a j1 or j2 for an extra 2-3% damage If you know other combos that have more damage and still offer effective traps please let me know.

· Meterless Combos: Not huge damage options, when Zatanna has no meter she should be zoning more to build meter or get them in a f2,1 pressure trap.

· j2, b1 u3, j2, 223 puppet master 27%(Ending with f2, 1 23%/ ending with j3 Zatara Dive 28%)

• j2, b1 u3, j2, d2, b3 dash, 112 Puppet master 30%
· f3, j2, 223 puppet master 26% (Ending with f2,1 21%/ ending with j3 Zatara dive 26%)

· One Bar:

• j3, 112, Puppet Master MB, b3 dash, j3 Zatara Dive 37% (ending with f2,1 34%)
· 112, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, f2 1 31%(Ending with 223 Puppet Master 33% (35% if starting with j1))

· 112, Multi Kick MB, j2, 223, Puppet Master 30% (Ending with f2 1 27%)

· 223, Puppet Master MB, b3 dash, j2, f2 1 27% (Ending with 223 Puppet Master 30%)

· 223, Puppet Master MB, j2, 223, Puppet Master 27% (Ending with f2,1 23%/ end with j2 to throw opponent off guard and go into vortex mix up, either b1,u3 or b2,1)

· b1 u3, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, b3 dash, f2 1 30%(Ending in J3 Zatara Dive 34%. No dash needed)

· b1 u3, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, j3, Zatara Dive 32% (Ending with j2, f2 1 29%)

· f3, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, j2, f2 1 32%(Ending with j3 Zatara Dive 35%)

· b2 1, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, 223, Puppet Master 33%(Ending with f2 1 30%)

· Two Bars

· 112, Multi Kick MB, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, b3 dash, f2 1 35% (Ending with j3 Zatara Dive 37%)

112, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, j2 levicancel d2 (reset) 36%

· 112, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, 223 Puppet Master MB, j2 f2 1 36% (Ending with j3 Zatara Dive 37% or 223 Puppet Master)

· 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, f2 1 34% (Ending with j3 Zatara Dive 35%)

· 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, Multi Kick MB, j2, 223, Puppet Master 34% (Ending with f2 1 32%)

· b2 1, Multi Kick MB, j2, 223 Puppet Master MB, b3 dash, f2 1 38% (ending with J3 Zatara Dive 40%)

· b2 1, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, j2, f2 1 39% (ending with J3 Zatara Dive 40%)

· b1, u3, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, f2 1 35% (ending with j3 Zatara Dive 38%)

· f3, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, Multi Kick MB, f2 1 37%(Ending with j3 Zatara Dive 39%)

· 3 bars: Her three bar combos are only ever used to set up a trait trap with a fire ball, which I’ll cover in her Trait Trap section.

F. Map Combos

1. It’s important as Zatanna to be smart about your map choices. Intractable that are thrown by strong characters can lead to some damaging traps if they don’t just randomly throw it out. So it’s important for Zatanna to pick maps with items that she can kick the opponent back into (ie, Atlantis, Bruce Wayne’s Manor, Bat cave, Hall of Justice) and Zatanna can pull off some deadly midscreen combos.

· 112, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, right button (rb), f2 1 37%

· 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, right button (rb), b3 dash, j2 f2 1 33% (ending with 223 Puppet Master 35%)

· 112, Multi Kick MB, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, b2 1, right button, f2, 1 36%

She should, however, almost always lean towards choosing the Plaza in Hall of Justice. With four bars of meter and those explosive cars, Zatanna can pull off an easy 64- 93% reset combo that is unblock-able, although clashable.

• b21, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j2, 223, Puppet Master MB, 37%(click explosive cart button and dash with it, when the cart explodes then punch in next combo) 22, Puppet Master MB, b21, Multi Kick MB, b3, j3 Zatara Dive 53%. Total 90% combo 4 bars.
  • b21, Multi kick MB, b3 dash, j3, 112, Puppet Master MB 38%(click exposive cart, do j2 once it hits) j2, 223 Puppet Master MB, b21, Multi Kick MB, b3 dash, j3, Zatara Dive. 55%. Total 93% Combo.
  • This combo can be used anytime once your opponent is in Puppet Master MB and there is a cart near by. If there isn't enough meter to do the b2,1 Multi Kick MB after the second Puppet Master MB. Then simply do b3 then j3 Zatara Dive for a heafty extra 47%. There are more damaging options I'm sure, but this is an extremely consistent and reliable combo.
G. F2, 1 Pressure

1. This string is basically the most essential to Zatanna’s game play; at the cost of 2-4% damage Zatanna puts the opponent in not only a standing reset, but also a hit stun. A hit stun is where a character is staggered and he can’t wake up, he can’t poke, he has to sit and block and take chip from the next string of attack. Of course, there are some cases where one can poke, armor, jump, or uppercut out of some traps if the attack isn’t fast enough. But Zatanna’s frame traps and mix ups and vortex should be changed up on every single combo to keep the opponent guessing. The F2,1 game although strong, should not be used at every combo, mix it up with some of her trick traps and crossovers (I cover this in shenanigans section). Once she has someone in a f2 1 hit stun there are several follow-ups she can do:

1) Follow up with 3. This is her classic frame trap and it can’t be poked or armored out of to my knowledge, start off with this so the opponent respects the frame trap. I often do 3, Multi kick or Puppet Master (MB if you have the meter).

2) Teleport Behind (d, u, f) this will throw the opponent off if they’re not expecting it, especially after they’re respecting the original frame trap, causes a vortex and should be followed up with either 11d3, b1 u3 (my favorite), or b2 1. All of these save 11d3 will start up into a full combo if it hits. F3 is also a liable option if they start turtling low.

3) Jump in 1 followed up by 11d3, 112, b1 u3, or b2 1. This is probably my favorite option but also the most risky, if the timing with the j1 is not perfectly on point it can easily be jumped, u2, armored, or parried out of. I’d also avoid using the b2 1 because of the slow start up and it can be armored out of if they block the j1.

4) Once you’ve used enough lows on them, they’re going to start blocking low, and this is the perfect time to bring out the f3. Her f3 has decent range and good start up, slight delay so it’s very difficult to react against.

5) Instant air Zatara Dive. It does good damage and creates space, only use if you think they’re definitely going to try and jump out and you have no meter to continue 3 frame trap.

6) More of a trolling mindgames tool, but certainly entertaining. After the f2 1 activate smoke mirrors (d, d, 3) and play mind games with them. Typically I find they attack blindly so I usually choose the farthest Zatanna and their attack will hit empty air and I can come in with an easy punish. Trying to cross up right after the smoking mirrors doesn’t work at well because they’ve had enough time to recover and can easily anti air.

I've also recently picked up her jump1 levitate cancel pressure and have found it to be extraordinarily effective. Especially after f2,1 Zatanna can ji1 levi d1. If the j1 lands, even on block, it's almost impossible to uppercut out of the second d1 if executed correctly. If the d1 hits I typically go for 3 Puppet Master MB into full combo. If they press an attack button without armor they will get hit by the standing 3, takes some many people off guard. If they're turtling I then typically go in for a j1 and from there either 112 multi kicks for pressure or 11d3 for potential cross up f3 next. Excellent mind games.

H. Trait Trap

1. Apart from Zatanna being a widely underrated character and certainly underused. Her best attribute is barely used at all! Her trait that lasts for 10 seconds is such a deadly tool that I barely see used and it disappoints me, and when I do see it use people try to spam. In her trait Zatanna becomes a wild magician and a zoning god, df1 does 7% on hit and 6.5% on block. df2 hits low and does 9% on hit and 5.1% on block. Not only is the chip damage absolutely insane, but each hit will recover roughly a third of a bar of meter if blocked. She has an anti air move (db2) but I usually don’t use it as much, personally I prefer using lightning rod because it gives Zatanna armor and it deals 12% damage. So with this move and her projectile absorb (db1) Zatanna can essential be untouchable. In 10 seconds of projectile lock down she can build back a full four bars of meter.

Now once you’re in trait mode DO NOT just sit and spam projectiles at full screen. That’s spamming and opponents can easily knock you out of your trait because in trait Zatanna can’t block, duck, or jump. All they have to do is just pop one projectile off while your chucking sparks and boom, you haven’t really accomplished much. I would, however, advise this strategy against some characters without fast projectile or teleport that you can lock down (ie: Grundy, Bane, Lex Luther). Other than that, Zatanna should throw a spark (usually I start with one df1 spark) and then wait just a moment to bait a wake up or projectile. If you see the opponent trying a wake up… lightning cage and that’s an easy 12%. And if they throw a projectile, absorb it with db1. So throw a spark or two, mixing up low and high, but don’t spam, be prepared to counter projectiles and wakeups. But with her chip and shenanigans in trait, she can do easy 40-60% damage off of a set up combo.

· Trait Trap Combos: Ending any previous combo with either 223 puppet master. It leaves you at -1 but it leaves the opponent with reversed controls for 1.5 seconds so they’re unlikely to follow up pressure but it is possible for them to toss a projectile while you’re going into trait.

· F2,1,1 trait. It knocks the opponent full screen and typically adds an extra 1% damage to your combos, it also gives Zatanna enough time to activate her lightning cage to counter any wake up attack. It is difficult to use against Ares and Zatanna’s behind teleport, but still do-able. Probably one of her best Meterless options.

· 223 Fire Kiss MB trait still remains to be my favorite set up with Zatanna. If you’re willing to burn the meter and playing against any characters other than Batgirl, Zatanna, Ares, MMH, Zod (he can air dash out of the ball), and Deathstroke (he can double jump over the ball), this trap is going to put the opponent at a point where all they can do is just block and eat the 2% chip from the giant fireball. Also, it allows at least one spark from Zatanna so that’s a full free extra 8% slapped onto any combo. With my largest 2 bar combo finish with 223 that’s 36%. So an ensured 44% combo with three bars, plus whatever chip and damage you deal while in trait. I did discover, however, that this trap can be escaped by Ares unblock able power punch move, he goes straight through the fireball for some reason, but if you throw out a slow fireball (d, b, 2, b) he’ll get hit. Although I don’t recommend this trap against Ares because of his teleport.

· Puppet Master MB trait, finish combo with lightning cage. This is the safest possible option as it assures that you’ll be in trait and it deals decent damage, but be aware of wake up attacks after you knock the opponent down. I think the f2,1,1 is the best Meterless option as it does the best damage and puts you out of range of most wake ups. But this is still a liable option and excellent for corner.

· 112 or 223 trait. Both of these work equally as well ending a combo, the 223 is easier to hit in a juggle, but take your pick.

I’ve always recently discovered while playing around with Zatanna that she has another trait cancel in addition to Mr. Milleena’s trick where Zatanna lands a hit in Trait and then teleports away to cancel trait. But I found that if Zatanna can in fact block while in trait, but any chip someone lands on her will knock her out of trait, yet she only takes chip damage. I was previously under the impression that there was no way she could block while in trait. Just a cool extra feature.

I. Crazy Shenanigans

1. My favorite section by far. I’m sure if Zatanna was in the dictionary her definition would be shenanigans. These are little tricks and traps to use as Zatanna to throw the opponent off, they may seem small but are actually really important to screwing up the opponents “mojo.” These traps all focus around her Smoke and Mirrors move (dd3), Levitate (uu3), and Fire Kiss MB.

· Smoke and Mirror Shenanigans: Finish a combo with either 223, dd3 or f2 1, dd3. I used to follow up this trick with a jump in and the opponent had to guess which Zatanna was going to cross them up, but I got punished nearly every time. So, instead of trying to keep the pressure, it’s better to bait the opponent to do something stupid. Dash around and d1 a little, pretend you’re one Zatanna and bait an attack. Typically after Zatanna splits into three, the opponent attacks blindly, so I usually pick the farthest Zatanna (dd3b) so their blind attacks will miss and I can punish. Either that, or they’ll start chuck projectiles and we all know that Zatanna is a boss at punishing projectiles, so she can teleport behind and deliver a full combo. Once they start respecting her tricks and turtle in response, now she can jump in and vortex mix up with either b2 or b1. Pick the closest Zatanna if they start respecting more, if a cross up fake Zatanna whiffs, they can punish.

More impressively and useful however is Deg's smoke and mirrors cross up video (page 2). If Zatanna puts her opponent into a Puppet Master MB, she can whiff a normal and go into smoke and mirrors, then jump in 1 as the opponent is still in the trance. If she picks the closest clone, then the j1 will crossup and she can go into a levitate (uu3) on hit and immediately hit d2 and go into a full combo. Then once they're back in Puppet Master MB again, she'll just pull of the shenanigans a second time. If she chooses the middle clone, then the jump in won't cross up and they'll get hit normally. 50/50 Vortex so definitely notable and this is an essential tool that should be used nearly every time she puts someone in Puppet Master trance.

· Levitate Mischief: I rarely use this move in a game because the levi jump punch is difficult to land outside of her Puppet Master MB reset, but it’s a good way to avoid projectiles, and you can teleport while full screen for a free cross up on an opponent. Just hit d2 or d3 while levitating. Keeps them guessing. A little less useful outside of combos and her smoke and mirrors mixup. Also a good vortex after the opponent is in a Puppet Master MB. teleport twice and then do a j2, levi, d2. This resets the combo and puts them in enough stun for you to either do a ji1, 112 crossup, d1 u3 into combo, b2 3 if not meter, b21 into full combo if meter.

· Fire Kiss MB Trickery: Zatanna can deliver some crazy pressure with her Fire Kiss MB, finishing with 223 Fire Kiss MB slow (d,b,2,b) It creates a slow moving fire ball. This will prevent most wakeups from opponents (again don’t use against the one’s I have listed for the fire kiss trait trap) and then teleport behind to follow up with vortex. If they poke you out, they’ll eat 8% from the fireball, and if they turtle you can put in some good chip damage plus the 2% chip from the ball. And if you hit them then the fireball is sure to hit them, I haven’t figured out a way to combo off of a hit Fireball, but hopefully something will come up.

· 11d3 string: Once Zatanna knocks the opponent down with the low d3 hit, she can follow up immediately with a f3 to launch them into another combo. This is excellent pressure and anti wake up as the opponent will pop up behind Zatanna and you have to jump backwards to continue the juggle as it's a cross over overhead. Catches lots of people off guard.

• F3 Crossup: She can also use a f3 cross up in combos. Finish a hit with 223 and then follow up with Teleport Behind (d,u,f). Immediately after her teleport she can pull off a f3 and it will knock the opponent in the opposite direction much like in the 11d3 string. A little difficult to execute, but extremely useful and difficult to escape.
  • 3 Poke: Zatanna's poking game is generally a little weak, until she pulls out her standing 3. It has amazing range and can be used as a combo starter to any of her specials. Good idea if the opponent is dashing in and she can 3 and either Teleport Away or follow up with a Multi Kick MB, starting up a damaging combo or great chip damage.
  • Also, if Zatanna teleports behind she can d1, then from there she can follow up with an instant air Zatara dive, this will knock the opponent out of any poke they attempt is and very good free damage. Or she can do her classic d1 Muli Kicks, which is difficult to pull off but a vortex from a d1 none the less.
J. Corner Pressure

1. Zatanna’s corner pressure is actually possibly the most disgustingly good thing I’ve seen in Injustice. Once Zatanna dumps the opponent in the corner, she starts up a vortex every combo and delivers easy damage. Fortunately, all of her combos are designed to push the opponent towards the corner. If I knock someone into Puppet Master MB and really want them in the corner, instead of building meter by doing three teleports (du) I’ll dash three times that typically puts them right in the corner. A full two bar combo from the middle of the screen plus the three dashes while in Puppet Master trance will push them right into the corner. In the corner, every single one of these should be finished with either trait, or f21. Once they’re in the f21 hit stun Zatanna can either do a b2,1 overhead, or a d1,u3 low, or 112 frame trap, or just a throw. Timing may be difficult, but none of these can be mashed or armored out of if executed correctly. I recognize that there are far more damaging combos in the corner, but I go for the resets and hittable combos in online lag.

· Corner Combos: (overhead) b21, Multi Kick MB, f3, j2, u2, f2 1 34%

· (overhead) b2u3, j2, u2, f2 1 22%

· (overhead) b21, Multi Kick MB, f3, j2, u2, 223, Puppet Master MB, j2, f21 37%

· (low) b1 u3, j2, u2, f2 1 20%

· (low) b1 u3, f3, j2, u2, f2 1 25%

· (low) b1 u3, j2, u2, 223, Puppet Master MB, j2, f21 27%

· (low) b1, Multi Kick MB, f3, j2, u2, f21 29%

· (low) b1, Multi Kick MB, j2, u2, f2 1 25%

· (low) b1, Puppet Master MB, f3, j2, u2, f2 1 27%

· (low) b1, Multi Kick MB, j2, u2, 223, Puppet Master MB, f3, f21 31%

Any of these combos can be started off with 112 also. In the corner any of these combos can also be ended with either 112 or 223 trait. If you press B immediately after the string is done she goes right into her trait with little delay. Follow up with a lightning cage to block any wake up, then teleport away to apply some zoning pressure. Mr. Milleena is infamous for his trait corner pressure, if Zatanna knocks someone down, especially after her 112, 4 trait set up combo in the corner. She can follow up with a d,f,3 pillar, if they try to wakeup or do anything other than block, they're going to get knocked up for a full trait combo.

I think I’ve covered just about everything to say about Zatanna in this guide. I hope that you found this helpful and if you have any questions please ask, and any other tricks you have to add to her arsenal let me know! Shout outs to Mr. Milleena for helping out with some tech. Thanks for reading guys!

Last edited:
Yeah, I mentioned she can cancel trait off a linked teleport off a normal.
I wish she had an option to keep it, that would be nice!

Nice guide and appreciate the dedication put into this. Hopefully more people play her! :)

I only play Z as a secondary so i don't know as much about her as you guys but I have to mention that in neutral game i have found 3 to be the best poke . It has a good range and a really good speed and doesn't scale combos as hard as F21 or 112 so generally a great move too .

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes

Nice guide and appreciate the dedication put into this. Hopefully more people play her! :)
Are you still gonna make a video guide?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I like this guide a lot! Thanks so much for putting it all together.

Do you ever use the d2xxfire kiss setup in the corner? I do it once in a while to just mess with opponents.

KillaGthug4Life

I like this guide a lot! Thanks so much for putting it all together.

Do you ever use the d2xxfire kiss setup in the corner? I do it once in a while to just mess with opponents.
I've seen it used and it's a really good trap, but I personally can't even pull it off in practice, much less in an online match lol. Definitely use it though because it sets up a really solid vortex.

KillaGthug4Life

Thanks for helping out with some tech Mr. Mileena! And oh I didn't realize, I only watched the teleport cancel part of that video.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Is it possible to hit the j2 223 puppet master even if you hit the b1 u3 at maximum distance away from the opponent?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Omg, very nice! I love it! I love when people shows love for the magician <3
Also i would like to share my personal corner combo lol, i love doing it. It does good damage ( i don't remember how much)
In the vortex for the low option i do B1U3 J2~levitate~D2 B1U3 B1U3 F21, it gives us another meterless vortex, people shouldn't be doing her MB puppet master vortex at all now, i only end combos with MB puppet master in the corner just for other set ups. Also i LOVE doing MB rings in the corner, it works godlike for me
*for example 1,1,2~MB rings (since people loves blocking low on her) on hit we can dash forward and F3, it will crossup and on block we can either go for another 3~MB ring , 3~multi kicks, iadk, jump corssup or more things.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
The ONNLY thing i disagree with is the usability of smoke and mirrors. People overlook the special. MB rings for advantage, smoke and mirrors far (furthest left if player 1 side) then teleport behind or front. 9/10 the opponent will try to poke and u get a free 3 whiff punish. works like a charm. Also Degs setup w trance and whiffin normals w smoke and mirrors is excellent.

Great guide dude. Enjoyable read!!!

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
Neat guide! My stage bounce interactable combos are a little different, I dunno if you wanna add them. I'm not sure the exact damage on them but they all do +40% damage:

b21 xx interactable, b3, jij2, jij2, 112 xx bf3MB
b1u3, jij2, interactable, b3, jij3/jij2, 112 xx bf3MB
112 xx bf3MB, position opponent to stage bounce interactable, njj2, b21 xx interactable, b3, jij2, jij2, 112 xx bf3
bf1MB, interactable, b3, jij3/jij2, 112 xx bf3MB

Also Degs setup w trance and whiffin normals w smoke and mirrors is excellent.
And yeah you should mention how whiffing normals during MB puppet master adds another depth in Zatanna's resets (unless I missed that somewhere).

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
trustinme yeah, i meant in the corner sorry, you get great materless damage and if you end with F2,1 then you get a vortex too, i use MB puppet master in the corner for different set ups only or if i need to get more damage from my opponent

KillaGthug4Life

The ONNLY thing i disagree with is the usability of smoke and mirrors. People overlook the special. MB rings for advantage, smoke and mirrors far (furthest left if player 1 side) then teleport behind or front. 9/10 the opponent will try to poke and u get a free 3 whiff punish. works like a charm. Also Degs setup w trance and whiffin normals w smoke and mirrors is excellent.

Great guide dude. Enjoyable read!!!
Thanks! And I don't believe I've looked into this strategy, is their a video? I'd love to check it out and add to the guide.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You don't mention much about her cross up f3 stuff. Any combo ended in 223~duf leads to a cross up f3. Likewise with 112 (but it can be tech rolled). In trait you can also go 3~duf to cancel your trait and go for a cross up f3. After f3 the combo I use is f3, ji2, ji1, 112~ender.

You don't mention her vortex here either. From a MB bf3, whiff s normal, dd3 then go for a ji1. If you select the clone closest to the enemy, ji1 will cross up. If you select the mid clone, it will not. From there au usually go ji1, 3~bf1(MB), b3, dash, ji3, 112~bf3(MB) back into the vortex. Or if I have an interactable bounce, ji1, 3~interact, b3, ji2, ji1, 112~bf3(MB). Each iteration does like 36% and costs 1/2 meters depending on the interactable bounce.

I think you should also mention the use of 3 as a footsie tool/poke. It has exceptional range and doesn't scale much so it's a decent combo starter.

Zatanna also has a really good d2. You can use it in tandem with teleport to punish many throwing interactables (eg. TVs) by teleporting underneath them as they grab the TV and d2'ing them into full combo. My d2 combo is d2, 3~bf3(MB), b3, ji2, ji1, 112~bf1.

Love the guide btw, it's great to see someone breaking down all hear dirt =D

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Zatanna also has a really good d2. You can use it in tandem with teleport to punish many throwing interactables (eg. TVs) by teleporting underneath them as they grab the TV and d2'ing them into full combo. My d2 combo is d2, 3~bf3(MB), b3, ji2, ji1, 112~bf1.
U can just do d2 into b3 and prolly get more damage, and not wasting the meter. I normally do d2 b3 j2 j2 112 bf3