What's new

Your top 10 Albums of 2014

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I remember seeing some good suggestions last year, so I wanted to bring this thread back. It can be any genre, although most of mine are metal.

In no particular order:

So Hideous- Last Poem/First Light
Allegaeon- Elements of the Infinite
Intervals- A Voice Within
Bangladeafy- The Suitcase
Devin Townsend Project- Z2(Specifically Z2: Dark Matters)
Mastodon- Once More Round the Sun
The Contortionist- Language
Dirty Loops- Loopified
Revocation- Deathless
Job for a Cowboy: Sun Eater

edit: Honorable mentions:
Slugdge- Gastronomicon
Monuments- The Amanuensis

I probably forgot some, thats off the top of my head. Lets see some other lists :)

Last edited:

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Well, I'm not gonna bother ranking them because I never can, but:

Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel
Behemoth - The Satanist
Machine Head - Bloodstones and Diamonds
Misery Index - The Killing Gods
Devin Townsend - Z²
At the Gates - At War with Reality
Soreption - Engineering the Void
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Dominia - Theophania

Off the top of my head... although I've been slacking off listening to new stuff recently.

EDIT: Shit, wait wait wait wait, I forgot one. I need to listen to the new Scar Symmetry again too, I love that band but the first time I tried it I thought it was pretty meh.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Mastodon - Once More Around the Sun (I listen to this more and more. And I enjoy it more and more every time.)
Behemoth - The Satanist
Devin Townsend Project - Z2
Allegaeon - Elements of the Infinite
The Contortionist - Language (Can't stop listening to this.)
Black Crown Initiate - The Wreckage of Stars
Slipknot - The Gray Chapter (I've always liked Slipknot. So sue me.:p)
Opeth - Pale Communion
Devin Townsend Band - Casualties of Cool
Overkill - White Devil Armory
Slugdge - Gastronomicon
Animals as Leaders - Joy of Motion
Unearth - Watchers of Rule

I need to listen to more music.

Last edited:

Yoaks

A spaceman
Well, I'm not gonna bother ranking them because I never can, but:

Behemoth - The Satanist
Machine Head - Bloodstones and Diamonds
Misery Index - The Killing Gods
Devin Townsend - Z²
At the Gates - At War with Reality
Soreption - Engineering the Void
Dominia - Theophania

Off the top of my head... although I've been slacking off listening to new stuff recently.

EDIT: Shit, wait wait wait wait, I forgot one. I need to listen to the new Scar Symmetry again too, I love that band but the first time I tried it I thought it was pretty meh.
I also need to listen to Scar Symmetry.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
That Ne Obliviscaris album is some classy shit. I still can't say the band name, but it's gurd.

Error

DF2+R2
I can't even remember all the albums that came out this year, I'll just list what I remember

Revocation - Deathless, their best album imo
Opeth - Pale Communion, I love the drumming in some of these songs
Sexcrement - XXX Bargin Bin Vol.2, it's an EP, but still great
Behemoth - The Satanist
Disentomb - Misery, slam
Ne Obliviscares - Citadel
Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion
Incantation - Dirges of Elysium

Been kind of lazy this year, just realized a ton of bands I listen to have released albums I didn't check out.

Kzaoo

Noob
In no particular order...

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion
Circa Survive - Decensus
HAKEN - Restoration (It's an EP, I know, but it's amazing)
CHON - WooHoo
Hail the Sun - Wake
Beyond Creation - Earthbound Evolution
Acrania - Totaliatarian Dystopia
Behemoth - The Satanist
Mastodon - Once More Around the Sun
Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown

Honourable mentions: Affiance - Blackout, Stolas - Allomaternal, Adventurer's self titled EP

EDIT: Rings of Saturn, Job For a Cowboy and Opeth's albums this year were great, too.

Last edited:

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Ok, not many albums in 2014 impressed me, as I hate almost everything!

So... here is my list of the 10 albums I've listened to the most in 2014, not necessarily FROM 2014.

Foxhunt - "Strange Creatures"
Taking Back Sunday - "New Again"
Bring Me The Horizon - "There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It"
Taylor Swift - "1989"
Taking Back Sunday - "Taking Back Sunday"
Bring Me The Horizon - "Sempiternal"
Spirit Charge - "The Plastic Key" (yes, my album. I listen to it regularly)
Kendrick Lamar - "Good Kid M.A.A.D City"
The Devin Townsend Project - "Ki" (thanks @Hitoshura)
Marilyn Manson - "Antichrist Superstar"

Was hoping to be impressed with Slipknot's "The Gray Chapter" but it did nothing for me. Hoping for the new Manson to be at least enjoyable, but I'm expecting something only slightly less horrible than "Born Villain".

Hitoshura

Head Cage
@Under_The_Mayo and @Gh0sty , I have no idea what your both getting at. A lot of good albums came out this year. You guys just need to do some research and find the hidden jems. This is going to be hard to comprise. I have listened to a lot of albums this year that I just fell in love with while others are good, but unfortunately wont make the cut. I'll include everything that didn't make my top 10 and maybe reasons why. @Zoidberg747 , hope this is enough variety for you. Not to sound ostentatious, but I have an expansive taste in music.

*** Also, Mayo. Both Ki and good kid, m.A.A.d city didn't come out this year, but I'm assuming you just added them because you heard them this year? If you enjoyed Kendrick's debut album you should listen to his mix tape "Section 80". It's a lot better. At least in my opinion. ***

Top 10 albums of 2014
1) Busdriver - "Perfect Hair"
2) Mick Jenkins "The Water(s)"
3) FKA Twigs "LP1"
4) Run the Jewels - "Run the Jewels 2"
5) Flying Lotus - "You're Dead!"
6) Behemoth "The Satanist"
7) Hail Mary Mallon - "Bestiary"
8) Sam Smith - "In the Lonely Hour"
9) Milo - "A Toothpaste Suburb"
10) Opeth - "Pale Communion"

Things that didn't quite make it
* J.Cole - "2014 Forest Hills Drive"
- I like this album, but it literally just came out 2 weeks ago. I have only listened to this album about 2 - 3 times. I have not given it enough time to listen to it thoroughly. The rest of the albums I have put more time into.

*Open Mike Eagle - "Dark Comedy"
- I love this rapper. I enjoy his voice, his flow, his lyrics, and pretty much everything. Under the same label as Busdriver, Milo, Kenny Seagal and Nocando, Open Mike Eagle is an art rapper from the west coast whose hip-hop is on the softer side, yet filled with captivating and though provoking lyrics. Anyone who is into hip-hop and has an open mind should download this album and take a listen to it.

*Clipping - "clppng"
- Clipping is a hip-hop group from the west coasts that combines elements of slam poetry and electronic, industrial, and trap sounds into their music. I saw these guys live along with milo and Busdriver. Their performance was dope and their lyrics off the album is dope as well. It has come interesting stuff while combining some elements of contemporary hip-hop lyricism in it as well (drugs, women, et ctera). Check this album out! It's so good. It was so hard not putting this one in my top 10.

*At the Gates - "At War with Reality"
- I WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO FOCUS ON THIS ALBUM! I've been so caught up in other genres that I haven't given this album a fair listen. I've listened to it 2 times, but it blew my fucking mind into little tiny pieces. It's been about 19 years since their last album Slaughter of the Soul and they still got it!!!! THEY STILL GOT IT!!!!

*Mastodon - "Once More 'Round the Sun"
- I was so hyped for this album to be released and when it came out it made me so happy. I love the album in its entirety. Its overall feel is spacey, yet simultaneously groovy. A lot of people had problems with this album being somewhat streamlined in terms of sound. Personally I don't see how that's a problem. They decided to drop a part of their progressive sound to focus on something more on the groovy side, but it still has it's moments where it gets progressive/abstract. It's not like Mastodon is going to sell out like All That Remains. Come one, guys!

*Devin Townsend - "Z2"
- I absolutely love Devin Townsend. He is currently one of my favorite musicians. I screamed like a little girl scout who just met her quota of thin mint cookies when this album dropped. I listened to Sky Blue close to 10 times before being draw away from it by other albums that were being released, or have already been released this year. I have yet to listen to "Dark Matters" and I'm beating myself up for it. There are times where I hate how diverse my music taste is, because I forget to go back to albums for a while and end up missing out on conversations I get to have with people about the album(s). I'll hopefully get to it before spring.

* Wolves in the Throne Room - "Celestite"
- These guys are my absolute favorite black metal band of all time, and when I found out that their latest album was going to be more ambient sounding than black metal sounding I jizzed a little bit. This album is completely different from anything they have ever done, but I thoroughly enjoy it anyway. Why is it not in my top ten? Well, like for most of these albums reasons. I didn't put enough time into them. I know, I'm a terrible person. -____-

* Fallujah - "The Flesh Prevails"
- This album!!!! UHHHHHH, SO GOOOD! Only reason this album didn't make it on my top 10 of this year was because I enjoyed "Pale Communion" more, however, I'm bias because Opeth is my favorite metal band. A technical death metal at finest. Well, The Faceless is better, but that's just my preference.

* Grieves - "Winter and the Wolves"
- Grieves is a rapper from Washington state whose music happens to be on the softer, catchier, and sensitive side. This rapper was heavily influenced by the blues and soul. If you want something catchy whose subject matter focuses on life, love, and people then this album is for you.

* Ghostface Killah - "36 Seasons"
- This album was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo close to making it into my top 10. I love the story on this album and the beats are just great. Very similar in the style of "12 Reasons to Die", "36 Seasons" is a story based album about Tony Starks. This time Tony Starks returns to Staten Island after 9 years, or 36 seasons, and his hometown is in chaos. Drugs and crime rule the streets, people who he once worked with are no longer there, his girl is with another man. His life is in a knot and he attempts to restore order in Staten Island. I wont spoil the rest of the album for you, but if you enjoyed "12 Reasons to Die" then you'll enjoy this album. At least this album has a proper ending and didn't leave its listener hanging like the last album did.

* Sage Francis - "Copper Gone"
- For those who don't know, Sage Francis THE slam poet hip-hop artist. He can and will win any slam poetry competition he so pleases. The man is a genius when it comes to it and Copper Gone goes to show you some of his talents. After taking a long break from his last lp "Li(f)e" which was met with mixed reviews, Copper Gone is a accumulation of a lot of Sage's stress over the years with some standard trash talking hip-hop songs thrown into the mix. If you want to check out Sage's work I suggest you listen to "Personal Journals" first to get an idea of his flow and then listen to whatever album you want after that. Preferably "Copper Gone". :)

* Spirit Charge - "The Plastic Key"
- This is the last album I want to talk about. This album is was introduced to me by "someone" and I thank them for being such a great person and sending me this album. It was my favorite album to listen to during the spring. The combination of rock and industrial just flows and feels so right, and the acoustic songs also sound wonderful too. You can tell a lot of hard work was put into this album by just the lyrics and how well they are presented. Can't wait to get my physical copy of this album.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Those are not Albums made in 2014, but are albums i've only heard in 2014 so don't blame me if i don't like the actually 2104 its been really hard to find a true artist, all i hear is plastic music and those doesn't tend to last for long, My country specially where all the crap listen today is house music, U.S Rap is now influiencied by Lil Wayne style and i think those are pure shit too, even R&Bs are on the same shit. Now that all the frustration is out of the way, lets to the list that matters, the ones that doesn't let me down

1) Final Fantasy XI by: Nobuo Uematsu, Naoshi Mizuta, Kumi Tanioka
2) Final Fantasy XIII by Masashi Haumazu
4) Bomba Estereo - Elegância Tropical
5) Ultra Street Fighter IV
6) Super Meat Boy
7) Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Square Enix all Stars Composers
8) Mortal Kombat X Teasers: by: Dan Forden, Rich Carle and Vince Portanelli. Full Album Coming in 2015 April
9) Filipe Mukenga (Probably best album of the year and the only decent one)
10) The Real Thing by: Jill Scott

2015 most anticipated works:
Shiinna Ringo
Dream Theather
Dan Forder

Bobzilla

Noob
No order:

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry
Agalloch - The Serpent And The Throne
Gridlink - Longhena
Kriegsmaschine - Enemy Of Man