What's new

Your move is blocked. You're at a huge disadvantage. Why mash?

Should you mash after being at a huge disadvantage?

• Yes

Votes: 49 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 38.0%

• Total voters

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
OK, this has been on my mind for a very long time now, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Since a majority of us are very familiar with multiple fighting games and how they work, the term "frame data" should come to mind. That term allows us to know how fast/slow a move is, how safe/punishable a move is, etc. In this case, I will be discussing move that a so disadvantageous, that it can be punished.

Now, we've ALL came across those players, even "top" players, who does a move, it gets blocked, yet for some reason, they still mash as if they can still attack. Examples would be:

buttonmashing.jpg

-Blocked SRK into SRK in SF
-Blocked Dive Kick into Ex Cartwheel in MK
-Blocked Corp Charge in Corp Charge in IGAU

So my question is, why? Why do this? I mean, I think k it get it. After a blocked move, you're going to be punished anyways, so if you mash while the opponent misses the punish, you punish their punish attempt. Is that it? No shade to anyone who does this, but that seems extremely scrubby to me. I've even tried it once, and although I won, I felt so guilty knowing I got away with murder like that.

I don't know, that's just my little vent for the day. I could be wrong, as I'm still learning in the FGC, but that's just how I feel.

Discuss.

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Last edited by a moderator:
don't do it with lex... do it with ken... do it with sonya because fucking divekick is hard to react too and it'll make your opponent want to rage quit life... do it for that sheer enjoyment of knowing how upset your opponent is for losing to scrubbiness.

My question is... why make a move full combo punishable but hard to punish???

SRK-SRK is to bait and catch them mashing something jab,throw,whatever.

Divekick-Cartwheel to bait them pressing buttons and catch it with armor.

Charge-Charge to test reactions on punishes.

xKhaoTik

SRK-SRK is to bait and catch them mashing something jab,throw,whatever.

Divekick-Cartwheel to bait them pressing buttons and catch it with armor.

Charge-Charge to test reactions on punishes.
Dive kick is extremely punishable. Yes ex cw has armor but you won't be able to get your armor out fast enough IF your opponent knows how and when to punish it. Same thing with the other examples. I dont see how this is a "bait".

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
OK, this has been on my mind for a very long time now, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Since a majority of us are very familiar with multiple fighting games and how they work, the term "frame data" should come to mind. That term allows us to know how fast/slow a move is, how safe/punishable a move is, etc. In this case, I will be discussing move that a so disadvantageous, that it can be punished.

Now, we've ALL came across those players, even "top" players, who does a move, it gets blocked, yet for some reason, they still mash as if they can still attack. Examples would be:

-Blocked SRK into SRK in SF
-Blocked Dive Kick into Ex Cartwheel in MK
-Blocked Corp Charge in Corp Charge in IGAU

So my question is, why? Why do this? I mean, I think k it get it. After a blocked move, you're going to be punished anyways, so if you mash while the opponent misses the punish, you punish their punish attempt. Is that it? No shade to anyone who does this, but that seems extremely scrubby to me. I've even tried it once, and although I won, I felt so guilty knowing I got away with murder like that.

Idk, that's just my little vent for the day. I could be wrong, but that's just how I feel.

Discuss.
You do it to mess with people. Sonya's dive kick is a good example because it is a pretty tight punish, especially with the pushback. The way I see it is that there is no reason not to do it because if they are on point with the punish it won't matter, and if they are late, you get rewarded.

xKhaoTik

Don't get me wrong, if I do a move and its blocked, but I noticed you aren't punishing it, then yea, ima take advantage of that. That's different

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Isn't it just a good read? Like, if you're doing a move that's only slightly disadvantageous and not fully punishable, it's probably a good idea to see how much your opponent respects that and if not then proceed to press buttons all over.

xKhaoTik

You do it to mess with people. Sonya's dive kick is a good example because it is a pretty tight punish, especially with the pushback. The way I see it is that there is no reason not to do it because if they are on point with the punish it won't matter, and if they are late, you get rewarded.
I get what you're saying, but here's my example.

You and I are playing IGAU with our mains. You do shackles and I block it. You know very well I can punish that anywhere on the screen but let's say I blocked it at full screen. Are you going to mash fear blast?

I've always thought the ppl who mash after things like poisons rekkas on block just don't know frame data at all. Probably never even heard of it. Gets me salty too lol. I'm sure if this knew they wouldn't be mashing. But what about things that are -1 on block like kfs slide, or just safe/unpunshiable?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Because at the end of the day it's still a guess, and it's still a read. Being at an advantage doesn't mean it's Infinite City. For example, when Mileena's do U4 twice. You can interrupt the second one but it's more likely you won't since you're expecting a faster move. Or GL's F3.. F3 again.

I'll give you an example. A week ago I played Brady on KotMs. Last match, we were both low on life. I finished my combo with 2f31+2 which left me at +8. Brady tried to armor through but I did elbow dash, beating him. Now, if I had done anything but elbow dash, he would've taken the round. But I went for the unsafe elbow dash because Yoloswagswag, and I won.

It's just reaaaaaads maaaang.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I once in a while do b12(-2) on block then dp(6f). Or I will whiff a dp and mash another out and catch my opponent reacting to my whiffed dp. Those are like reads though, when you know they will press buttons.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
If I do something stupid like running into a block with reptile's dash b/c I fucked up the spacing... what should I do? Sit there and wait until you punish me? Hell no... you either punish me in your alotted amount of frames or I'm getting the fuck out.

The punish is on the defender, not the attacker.

Like you said... if you react on time I'm gonna be punished, if I mash, I'm gonna be punished... so why sit there and just LET you punish me even if you missing your window? That makes no sense.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Reasons people do it:
1) It's online, so the timing is different and it might work
2) Someone might always miss a punish, be late on a punish, or do something else for some reason
3) If it worked, keep doing it :)

Dive kick is extremely punishable. Yes ex cw has armor but you won't be able to get your armor out fast enough IF your opponent knows how and when to punish it. Same thing with the other examples. I dont see how this is a "bait".
The mentality is pretty much "I'm going to get punished anyway,so imma just press a bunch of buttons".

xKhaoTik

I've always thought the ppl who mash after things like poisons rekkas on block just don't know frame data at all. Probably never even heard of it. Gets me salty too lol. I'm sure if this knew they wouldn't be mashing. But what about things that are -1 on block like kfs slide, or just safe/unpunshiable?
KF slide -4 lol. And I mash after that because the move is completely safe, plus the tools she has.

But BOOM, I know you've played the cages who do flip kick into ex NP lol