What's new

Would you play in tournaments if there was No Money in it for you?

Would you play in tournaments if there was No Money in it for you?

• Hell Yeah I'mma $ digga

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Na bruv, it's for the game yo

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Come on, we all know that tournaments are based in ego, with player 1 saying " I'm the best" & player 2 saying " Put yo Monet where yo mouth is"

Most people do it for Fame, which again is ego based. The what's in it for moi attitude that moves on to the next new game. Same people different game.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
No they're not. People won't pay $10 to enter MK because "they'd get bodied" by the KKK simply because they don't use a top tier. That excuse isn't used by everyone, but this topic came up before. Apparently after spending money/time to go to a tournament the extra $10 will break you.

I mean, it's always the same group of people who win more than likely.

I'll never win a tournament, but I still can't wait to travel for MKX

Oh, and even though I dropped injustice, the next tourny I go to (post MKX release), I'll sign up for IGAU, MKX, and mk9 to show some support to the community

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I mean, let's be serious here....

The vast majority of people entering in the big tournaments know full-well that there's little to no chance of them making it far enough to earn a payout. Most people go for the social aspect of tournies to learn, have fun, and meet new people.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The answers don't match the question ...

Also people do realize it takes like 1000 dollars to travel and enter these tournaments? And that people will enter every major even if they don't make it out of pools?

This thread is stupid.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I use it as a gauge for myself. To see how much I've improved. Christ I won my first local just last month lol. I go to see friends and let ppl know I still exist. I'm not good enough to win a major

Also people do realize it takes like 1000 dollars to travel and enter these tournaments? And that people will enter every major even if they don't make it out of pools?

This thread is stupid.
Then why waste your time and post?

And also, the answers were not in a simple yes or no statement.

If you read my answer, well, let me break it down for you.

I basically said Even though the top players will probably stop me from winning money, I'll travel no matter what, regardless of there being a pot or not
But if it's still too confusing then Yes, I will still travel to tournaments regardless of there being a pot or not. The social aspect is just too fun to miss out on

Flagg

Noob

This thread is stupid.
Is there really any need to respond like that?

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Oops, saw hell yeah and clicked that.

Anyway of fucking course! Winning is just the cherry on top of the cake, and not one I see often.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
Yep, even if a person doesn't get far enough to earn money they could also enter to prove a point about their character maybe

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Considering I routinely went 0-2...

The money's in the sidebets dawg...unless you have a bad day. My top 8 experience...not so great

I try to at least break even for my trip so I can attend the next tournament. Best for business

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have been doing this for umk3 and mk9 for YEARS......... No money, just to gain interest.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Considering the payout of these tournaments, if you're in it for the money, you should reevaluate yourself and find a better job.

People gamble in money fights because raising the stakes also raises the incentive to win, and makes things more interesting/competitive. I'm sure many travelers don't even break even, or expect to.