What's new

Worth going to UFGT, if I don't play comp?

I love the FGC, I've made some cool e-friends, and would like to meet some people in person. But, I don't really play IGAU on the hardcore level as most do, video games in general I've stopped playing. But, since it's the last UFGT I want to go, and hopefully there's other things to do, it's like 20min from my house on train.

My goal was to semi-prepare but I got side tracked with school.

TYM wot do?

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
I wouldnt support Keits (who completely lies about "supporting NRS) in any matter at all BUT wouldnt knock you if you went. Thats just me.

Vagrant

Noob
Karried I think you should absolutely go. It's a major 20 minutes from your house. There really is no excuse not to go if you enjoy the FGC.

I wouldnt support Keits (who completely lies about "supporting NRS) in any matter at all BUT wouldnt knock you if you went. Thats just me.
It's not just Keits that suffers when people have this kind of attitude. The whole midwest scene, who have busted their asses for this game, suffers when people don't come out to their tourneys

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Karried I think you should absolutely go. It's a major 20 minutes from your house. There really is no excuse not to go if you enjoy the FGC.

It's not just Keits that suffers when people have this kind of attitude. The whole midwest scene, who have busted their asses for this game, suffers when people don't come out to their tourneys

I love the Mid-West. I wish they had a better tourney to go to for NRS games. You guys deserve better.

Vagrant

Noob
I love the Mid-West. I wish they had a better tourney to go to for NRS games. You guys deserve better.
I don't know enough about keits or the situation to understand why people don't think UFGT is NRS friendly. My experience there last year was good and outside of the early IGAU pools I have no complaints. I didn't see any blatant bias against NRS. Everytime Keits spoke to me or to someone else in earshot of me he was friendly and professional.

Why is there drama?

I just want to go, having limited funds as a student and no wheels kind of just boxes me in Chicago, can't go no where far, Lol, if public transit isn't convenient.

haketh

Noob
Keits has never lied about anything, stop spreading this stupid BS.

Why is there drama?
For very stupid reasons and people in the NRS scene wanna be treated like Capcom when we're still Anime level when it comes to scheduling. It pretty much all ems from us getting scheduling that fits our entrant numbers and people being mad Keits hows his game love.

@Karried go to UFGT, it's legit one of the best tournaments to go to, especially if you don't wanna compete much. Keits bust his ass to make sure theirs stuf for everyone to do regardless of whether they're competitive or not.

Justice

Noob
I just want to go, having limited funds as a student and no wheels kind of just boxes me in Chicago, can't go no where far, Lol, if public transit isn't convenient.
See if you can hitch a ride with the GGA guys? I'm pretty sure they're going. And yes, you should totally go. Sometimes (especially when you're broke) you just have to do something nice for yourself to keep your sanity. I have never regretted going to a tournament or felt like "I didn't get my monies' worth".

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
My question is how do ppl do it when they try to make a "career" playing competitively, without being sponsored. I mean lets be realistic you'd have to have a pretty good paying job to afford the plane tickets, hotels, food etc. on a daily basis. You cant just tell your boss "Hey ima take a few days off b/c Ima play in a tourney" and he or she be like "sure go ahead, and while you are at it you can find yourself another job"

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
My question is how do ppl do it when they try to make a "career" playing competitively, without being sponsored. I mean lets be realistic you'd have to have a pretty good paying job to afford the plane tickets, hotels, food etc. on a daily basis. You cant just tell your boss "Hey ima take a few days off b/c Ima play in a tourney" and he or she be like "sure go ahead, and while you are at it you can find yourself another job"
No one makes a career out of video games unless you are sponsored by a major ESPORTS company such as EG.

Fighting games are a hobby and it's something that we like to do, but not many of us play for the money.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
No one makes a career out of video games unless you are sponsored by a major ESPORTS company such as EG.

Fighting games are a hobby and it's something that we like to do, but not many of us play for the money.
Thats what Im saying, it is my hobby as well I was just wondering how these "Top players of the FGC" do it.

Vagrant

Noob

I use vacation time for tourneys and let work know about that I'll be taking the time off weeks if not months ahead. I come up with a budget for a tournament, plan for it, and stick to it. It's definitely costly but I work full time and am capable of saving money lol. Tax returns help as well.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I use vacation time for tourneys and let work know about that I'll be taking the time off weeks if not months ahead. I come up with a budget for a tournament, plan for it, and stick to it. It's definitely costly but I work full time and am capable of saving money lol. Tax returns help as well.
Cool, not bad at all.

I love the FGC, I've made some cool e-friends, and would like to meet some people in person. But, I don't really play IGAU on the hardcore level as most do, video games in general I've stopped playing. But, since it's the last UFGT I want to go, and hopefully there's other things to do, it's like 20min from my house on train.

My goal was to semi-prepare but I got side tracked with school.

TYM wot do?
Go.

Tournaments are an amazing event to be a part of even if you don't enter any games. You get to join in the hype crowds and the atmosphere, talk to people from all walks of life, watch matches that streams can't, and play casuals with the best. UFGT also has a bunch of community panels, and this year is definitely not lacking in terms of names.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
@Karried

Go and introduce yourself and hang out w the community , could end up being the most fun you've had in years and will encourage u more and more to go to GBS
@Karried its fun but if you aren't the social type, its not as fun. for example if you to be into COMP and are going just to win and play and nothing else (like some people in the community say they do when they are being hated on *cough PL cough*) it sucks, but if your arm hair has social DNA its hella fun, especially if your hollywood like dream sword, everyone wants to take you places after the tournament that you've never been before @AK Dream Sword *winks*.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Lots of full time jobs give you vacation time. I use most of mine to go to tournaments, and usually can make it to around 4 majors a year. Personally, I was graduated from college and had a full time job before I started competing, and fully understand the time/money commitment. But if you have a decent job you may have to make a sacrifice or two for it but going to a FG major is a blast.

As far as being solely a competitive player as a career, I dont recommend it to anyone at this present time.

Last year ufgt was meh tournament organization wise but I had fun with the nrs heads for sure. I am sure it will be much better this year. Also karried I say go, it will be very fun.