What's new

Winter Brawl 6 MK Structure and Timetable

Noob
Ok, we're doing things a little differently at WB6, so make sure you take notes and plan accordingly.

MK9

- If we have 64+ players, the tournament will be run in 8 POOLS.

- This will mean your pool will have no more than 8-10 players per pool.

- 2 players from each pool will advance into top 16 in winners/losers

- Top 16 down to top 8 will be entirely streamed on Kombat Network

- Top 8 will be streamed by Team Spooky on Sunday

Winter Brawl Registration begins at 9am Saturday morning. If you're at the hotel, get yourself registered ASAP. The lines will be long for door registration, so be sure to get things done EARLY.

MK9 Pools (64+ players)

Pools A+B - 1pm
Pools C+D - 3pm
Pools E+F - 5pm
Pools G+H - 7pm
Top 16 - Top 8 - 9pm

MK9 Pools (if we have less than 64 players)

Pools A+B - 1pm
Pools C+D - 4pm
Top 16 - Top 8 - 7pm

If pools finish early and time exists before the start of the next set of pools, we will run a special event of either money matches or a team style match(3v3/tag/VSM vs World, etc).

Pools for MK9 will be created at NOON on Saturday. The pool assignments will be posted outside the door of the MK room so that all you need to do is check what time period you will need to be available to play in your pool.

UMK3

- UMK3 will START on Saturday. It may finish on Saturday depending on MK9, but all who enter UMK3 should be prepared to play at 4pm on Sunday.

- UMK3 registration will be held in the MK room, starting at 2pm on Saturday.

- UMK will begin on Saturday at 5pm.

- UMK3 is being run on Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on 360.**

**I know there has been controversy over MKAK in the past, however we can no longer justify the insane amount of setup time required to setup UMK3 on MAME. It takes appx. 1.5 hours to do this with all the different controllers and has to be completely re-started when connecting it to the stream. UMK3 on MKAK offline plays well enough to begin using it as the standard for tournaments at this point.

MK2

- MK2 registration will start at 4pm on Sunday in the MK room.

- MK2 will begin at 5pm on Sunday.

- MK2 is being run on the original PS3 release of the game.

3D MK Game

- While not decided yet, one of the 4 3D MK games will be represented. I will create an additional thread to determine which one.

- Registration will begin at 2pm.

- 3D MK will begin on Saturday and may finish on Saturday depending on MK9, but all who enter should be prepared to play at 4pm on Sunday.

Killer Instinct

- KI registration will take place on Sunday at 4pm in the MK room.

- KI will begin at 5pm on Sunday.

- KI will be run on MAME, 2 sticks will be provided.

Noob
9.95 if I've already registered online do I still have to be there at 9am???
You have to check in and get your venue bracelet. You then have to check in with us in the MK room, so plan accordingly to be there in time. I can't get you in a pool if you're not there!

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Dammit I was planning at leaving at 9am to head there.... Guess I'll have to wake up earlier.

Noob
It's a 3 hour drive, try to leave at 8 if you can... I'll be on the road either Friday night or Sat. morning at 6:30am.

Noob
Also, a heads up to you MK2 players... some of the best are coming back for this one... it's gonna be one of the better MK2 tournaments we've had since MK2 at WB5.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'd recommend if you're using MKAK to play on the 360. Also, is UMK3 going to be streamed?

Noob
I agree. If Ps3 MKAK is the only choice then you might as well not run UMK3. that port is awful. I'll never make that mistake again.
Matt and I have been testing the PS3 version and offline it's fine. We actually got no complaints at Season's Beatings about the GAMEPLAY of PS3 MKAK, but the one complaint we did get is the sound of the ASUS monitor being too low for the game.

I'd recommend if you're using MKAK to play on the 360. Also, is UMK3 going to be streamed?
The problem with the 360 version of MKAK is the awful 360 pad. I can't force people to purchase PS2 pads AND converters so they can use them on the 360 when they've already come prepared to play with PS3 pads and/or sticks.

It is also not my (nor anyone else's) job to provide a pad and converter for anyone. While I generally have extra with me, and I willingly let people use them, I won't outright say that people can rely on me to provide them because once they're lent out, that's it.

The problem with the 2006 version of UMK3, while it plays the best, is once again hampered by the fact that it has no button configuration options which MKAK does have.

I used MKAK on PS3 to run UMK3 at ON THE EDGE and Shock, myself, Dark Natas, EdFig81, and Crazy Dominican found no problems with the playability of the game offline.

I personally have never had an issue with dropped inputs offline... online is a different story where the game drops inputs CONSTANTLY.

Noob
Yes, at least part of it will be streamed.

Lastly, with regards to MKAK. Guys, I can't be anymore clearer than I already have been. Shock and I are done spending 1.5 hours setting up MAME for UMK3. At Summer Jam 5 and NEC 12, we lost at least 6-8 potential players because of the length of time it takes to set up MAME.

So, because of that time issue, people walked away and instead of a 24 man tournament, we had 16, or instead of a 16 man tournament, we had 12.

MKAK literally takes 4 minutes to set up... once we have the players, we turn on the system and we're ready to go.

MAME requires us to configure AT LEAST 4 different controllers, plus anytime someone needs to take their pad and leave, we have to completely re-start MAME, forcing us to re-configure all the controllers which takes another 10 minutes each time that player COMES or GOES.

Using MAME also means minimal streaming AT BEST. First, I'll have to disconnect the PS3 from my stream, then I have to break down the MAME setup and set it up AGAIN(another 1.5 hours if we have to break the entire thing down) then set up all the controllers AGAIN. Then, I have to configure the stream for accepting a PC input which is another few minutes.

All of this is alleviated by using MKAK... 4 minutes flat to setup...

The reason for all of this? If you haven't noticed, over the course of the last few years, MK went from being stuffed in a corner with no room to breathe to having either a half of an entire room or an ENTIRE room to ourselves. The reason? We work HARD for Big Eric. We take care of him, and he has made sure that MK has gotten everything we've basically wanted and could ask for.

Why?

MK9 is an EVO game. That means for me, for Shock and for Big Eric, MK9 is TOP PRIORITY when it comes to MK. Evo points are at stake here, and MrWizard and those who run EVO rely on BigE, who in turn relies on Shock and Myself to run MK properly, EXPECT us to make MK9 priority. We are entrusted with an EVO GAME. We are expected to run a quality tournament that is efficient and fair. We take care of this for BigE, and in return he has taken care of the MK Community.

Is it really worth wasting 1.5 hours setting it up on MAME when I could be taking care of something else that could benefit the MK Community, especially when we have a perfectly viable way to play UMK3 that isn't dependent on MAME?

I won't risk community perks for that... MKAK it is.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Phil how feasible is it to get it running on 360? If we dedicate a couple converters for pads we can do it, I will get it for my 360 and bring it.

As for PS3, I want a LIST of complaints about it, not just "It sucks." IMO all ports of UMK3 suck compared to the arcade and playing it on anything OTHER than the arcade is pointless, but I've been playing and running this game at tournaments across multiple platforms for 10 years.

Noob
Phil how feasible is it to get it running on 360? If we dedicate a couple converters for pads we can do it, I will get it for my 360 and bring it.

As for PS3, I want a LIST of complaints about it, not just "It sucks." IMO all ports of UMK3 suck compared to the arcade and playing it on anything OTHER than the arcade is pointless, but I've been playing and running this game at tournaments across multiple platforms for 10 years.
It's actually very feasible. I don't mind running it on the 360 either on MKAK or 2006 release(I use stick and when I DID use pad, I used the default layout anyway that the 360 had).

I have it on my 360(and it's only $10 to buy anyway, but I may be able to get you a code for it, let me make a phone call.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Sadly, I have barely enough money for mk9 hotel and registration. Won't be able to play in any of the klassics.

Oh and any word about streaming yet?

Noob
100% no 2006 XBLA release.

360 MKAK it is.
I'm completely fine with that. I will make some calls after work, trying to get you a code, if not it's only $10.

Keep in mind though, we're gonna be fine as stick players, but the PS2 pad players need a specific converter... either the etokki converter or the converter you and I have which requires a wired 360 pad to work as well.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I have a feeling we'll have nec numbers possibly over 80. Call me crazy.

I'll be very impressed if we actually ran both mk9 and umk3 on Saturday.

Good luck :) can't wait.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Again, if you have a money match or know of one please let me know so we can possibly use them for the special events. You can let me know during pools as well if something comes up out of the blue.

If we have enough people for the 8 pool system I believe we should have more than enough time for a special event in between each set of pools.

I would recommend everyone check the entrance for the room around 12:30 to see what pool you are in. People will get DQed this time if they hold us up for an unreasonable amount of time. I'll also be there at 12:30 to take cell phone numbers if you would like me to text you when your matches are up ONLY if you are entering another game in a separate room. Otherwise, you have no excuse this time.