What's new

Will Street Fighter V be the SF to ease in for Injustice players?

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Personally, I don't care how hard or easy combos are. The two entertaining parts of a combo for me, is how it was setup (footsies, reads, mixups, etc.) and oki mindgame afterwards. Also, complexity doesn't make a game interesting, players do. SF2 and TTT1 were very simple games mechanics-wise, high level play was enough to create all the needed depth.

Those are the things that make fighting games fun for me, and SF 5 has them. A big community supporting the game makes it even more fun. So I hope a lot of people will pick it up, regardless of what they used to play.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Honest questions:

How does the game not have normals?

How can you not move in the game? I know people said it was slow but...I like the long stages and walk/dash speeds(for most characters at least)...it all adds to the meta for me.

Why are the unblockables a bad thing? They can be on some uneven maps, but on most they are something to account for and keep in mind. They are a huge part of the game, although many players chose to ignore them. I've had some of the best footsies on this game when both players are vying for control of an interatcible.

Are the wakeups really that bad? I like them, and feel that it's just a case of getting to know the matches. Honestly I think the wakeup system in that game is incredibly interesting, and I don't even feel that I know it perfectly. There is interesting stuff like this that makes them a deep mechanic, imo. The only other wakeup system I know is MKX ,which is not that different...how does SF differ?
I was initially in the process writing a long response to this but then I deleted it because I just could not be bothered. How you see Injustice is entirely dependant on the character you used in it. You played Lex so you could throw interactables and hover over people on knockdown in armor so you wouldn't understand the struggle. I played Raw Injustice where my character did not let me bypass any of the mechanics and it was utter trash

In hindsight the game was an absolute failure. All we learnt from it was what not to do to in a fighting game ever again

FROST_

KH | DsV BLOODxGOD
Don't compare unjustass to a great game for basic and advanced FG skill as SF no comparison. IGAU was garbage I dropped it after a month soon like 6 months the game was dead. SF4 was out longer than both MK9 and IGAU tbh. Because you had to have some skill to win. Meaning people attempted to get better instead staying Noobe. But that's my input.
P.S. Nash is not top 3

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The only thing I can think would help is being use to back to block. The games are vastly different. Street fighter is all about long range normal's and whiff punishing. I felt like Injustice's movement was too slow at times for that meta due to strings coming out way faster than you could possibly walk. Anti airs were also abysmal before they were patched. However, learning a new game is never easy for anyone. Just have to grind it out.

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
)

Alright. After having very extensive offline gaming(Maybe 6 hours total?) session for my first time (you can check out some my matches above, although, warning, the quality isn't good, and I'm a complete noob ;P) , I truly have a differing opinion than when I first started speculation in beginning of this post. Street Fighter V is not only more fundamental based then its predecessor(SFIV), It actually forces it to be a requirement to play. As much as I love the game, Injustice looks gimmicky in comparison.

As some people were mentioning earlier, the walk speeds in Injustice made it really hard to play neutral, and so you have to rely more on specials, and character specific tricks to play. In SFV, you can't simply throw out moves like Zod or sups, as mistiming a special or fireball can literally cost you the round, with the high damage and stun. You also have no get out of combo free card, like with the wager in Injustice. And I never really dabbled too much in older street fighter games, but I know without a shadow of a doubt frame traps are HUGE in this game. I dare say even more so than any other Street Fighter in its existence. YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO BLOCK, and more importantly YOU NEED SOME BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF FRAME DATA. I actually think its worse now for people who only played Injustice, as NRS made us worse off, with useless combos/buttons, and our only neutral being d1 into grab, or a overhead if you have one. (Sidenote: And they couldn't even get that right for tick throwing with grapplers. RIP Shazam, Grundy.) Every button has a story you need to understand, and for all you players that read this and haven't played yet, know that you will probelly be losing alot of matches simply from pokes and being counterhit because we weren't taught how to block properly. (Because I know i have x20 lol) Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
In fact games like League of Legends and DOTA has some of the most easy to use mechanics, but yet is viewed by millions around the world
Que paso? Can you elaborate because dota has a shitton of "burden of knowledge" shit and a bunch of exception mechanics that are very un-intuitive for players.

To the topic, I don't think that any NRS game will help you ease into any SF game because sf games are a classic 2d fighter approach while NRS games are more akin to 3d games on a 2d plane and while they have been getting slightly more 2d-ish over the years there are still very apparent design decisions that keep it that way. I notice that a lot of tekken players transition to MK better than many sf players do.

Last edited:
Que paso? Can you elaborate because dota has a shitton of "burden of knowledge" shit and a bunch of exception mechanics that are very un-intuitive for players.

To the topic, I don't think that any NRS game will help you ease into any SF game because sf games are a classic 2d fighter approach while NRS games are more akin to 3d games on a 2d plane and while they have been getting slightly more 2d-ish over the years there are still very apparent design decisions that keep it that way. I notice that a lot of tekken players transition to MK better than many sf players do.
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree that Dota is one of the most complex mechanical games out there. It's definitely not simple or easy to use.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
It's funny because I hear alot of people say this, but the thing is that mechanics is almost never the thing that makes a fighting game hype, or the best to watch. OG Street Fighter 2 had some of the simplest playing style to it, but yet was/and is still played by a fairly large fanbase today(mostly japan). In fact games like League of Legends and DOTA has some of the most easy to use mechanics, but yet is viewed by millions around the world, and makes some of the most money, far outdoing fighting games. And if this statement was true Virtual Fighter should have been one of the most popular games of all time, because you had to master your character before you even started to be at a level to call yourself a scrub, and yet you never ever hear anything about it.
Bruh. I FULLY agree with what you are saying as the overall message, you are 100% right in my opinion. But as far as Mobas go, if you don't fully know what you are talking about, you probably just shouldn't speak on it. I'm a much bigger fan of fighters, but let's be legit - the complexity isn't even comparable. Fighters are much more straightforward genre which IMO makes it more about individual player skill and just two players duking it out, I much prefer this to all the crazy interactions in Dota and how 1 tiny play can have a massive impact across the course of the next hour, between 10 different people, constantly making a million of these interactions every minute. There's a reason I'm here and not on a Moba forum, but let's be realistic - if you are talking about ease to get into, I can jump in on MKX having no prior fighting experience, and first minute start going toe to toe with medium AI. Took me 10 hours before I even learned how to buy items in Dota. There is no way that Mobas are more accessible, or less complex at ANY level, or easier to use/play than fighters, not by the longest shot.

Bruh. I FULLY agree with what you are saying as the overall message, you are 100% right in my opinion. But as far as Mobas go, if you don't fully know what you are talking about, you probably just shouldn't speak on it. I'm a much bigger fan of fighters, but let's be legit - the complexity isn't even comparable. Fighters are much more straightforward genre which IMO makes it more about individual player skill and just two players duking it out, I much prefer this to all the crazy interactions in Dota and how 1 tiny play can have a massive impact across the course of the next hour, between 10 different people, constantly making a million of these interactions every minute. There's a reason I'm here and not on a Moba forum, but let's be realistic - if you are talking about ease to get into, I can jump in on MKX having no prior fighting experience, and first minute start going toe to toe with medium AI. Took me 10 hours before I even learned how to buy items in Dota. There is no way that Mobas are more accessible, or less complex at ANY level, or easier to use/play than fighters, not by the longest shot.
When my friends ask me to teach them how to play Dota I tell them it's simple. Just log on and get wrecked for 500-1000 hours of in game time and you'll have a basic understanding.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
any good videos out there that go thru the game mechanics?
I seen some people do some crazy shit with with v-trigger cancels.
btw Laura is life

SuppaSapien3

any good videos out there that go thru the game mechanics?
I seen some people do some crazy shit with with v-trigger cancels.
btw Laura is life
Vesper Arcade on Youtube is starting to release some pretty good combos videos for people to see, however there is only one for Ryu at the moment. Wait a couple of weeks, I'm sure Laura will be out soon.

I was talking about more on the physical level of using a keyboard and mouse as compared to a fightstick, but then again now that I think about it, that can be highly debatable lol.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
)

Alright. After having very extensive offline gaming(Maybe 6 hours total?) session for my first time (you can check out some my matches above, although, warning, the quality isn't good, and I'm a complete noob ;P) , I truly have a differing opinion than when I first started speculation in beginning of this post. Street Fighter V is not only more fundamental based then its predecessor(SFIV), It actually forces it to be a requirement to play. As much as I love the game, Injustice looks gimmicky in comparison.

As some people were mentioning earlier, the walk speeds in Injustice made it really hard to play neutral, and so you have to rely more on specials, and character specific tricks to play. In SFV, you can't simply throw out moves like Zod or sups, as mistiming a special or fireball can literally cost you the round, with the high damage and stun. You also have no get out of combo free card, like with the wager in Injustice. And I never really dabbled too much in older street fighter games, but I know without a shadow of a doubt frame traps are HUGE in this game. I dare say even more so than any other Street Fighter in its existence. YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO BLOCK, and more importantly YOU NEED SOME BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF FRAME DATA. I actually think its worse now for people who only played Injustice, as NRS made us worse off, with useless combos/buttons, and our only neutral being d1 into grab, or a overhead if you have one. (Sidenote: And they couldn't even get that right for tick throwing with grapplers. RIP Shazam, Grundy.) Every button has a story you need to understand, and for all you players that read this and haven't played yet, know that you will probelly be losing alot of matches simply from pokes and being counterhit because we weren't taught how to block properly. Just my two cents.
I think you trash talk too much about a game you didn't actually play. People with this kind of mentality/attitude need to stop.

SuppaSapien3

I think you trash talk too much about a game you didn't actually play. People with this kind of mentality/attitude need to stop.
No trash talk from me man. The room was full of spectators yelling stuff when I was playing. In fact I was silent the whole time I played. It is kinda my fault for having a bad camera, as you can't acaully see me. I changed my attitude since I was last on this forum, and I hope I grown up from the last time I was on the forum lol. If anyone had a bad taste in there mouth from other forum I posted last year, which shall not be named, I kinda explain it here:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Street Fighter V is not only more fundamental based then its predecessor(SFIV), It actually forces it to be a requirement to play. As much as I love the game, Injustice looks gimmicky in comparison.

As some people were mentioning earlier, the walk speeds in Injustice made it really hard to play neutral, and so you have to rely more on specials, and character specific tricks to play. In SFV, you can't simply throw out moves like Zod or sups, as mistiming a special or fireball can literally cost you the round, with the high damage and stun. You also have no get out of combo free card, like with the wager in Injustice. YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO BLOCK, and more importantly YOU NEED SOME BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF FRAME DATA. I actually think its worse now for people who only played Injustice, as NRS made us worse off, with useless combos/buttons, and our only neutral being d1 into grab, or a overhead if you have one. (Sidenote: And they couldn't even get that right for tick throwing with grapplers. RIP Shazam, Grundy.)

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
Yeah there is, that's why I don't agree with it. Removing execution , far normals, harder to use mechanics , etc. because of players who will still give up when they get their ass beat for a couple of days? It's a pointless step back.
Let's be honest : anyone playing USF4 with a passion used PLinks, to ease links.

Now in SFV, you have the same shit "built-in" so that you don't have to push extra buttons for the same result.

I don't see that as a problem, really, especially since PLinks weren't something planned on purpose by Capcom at all.

Always hated the extra buttons / extra inputs for PLinks and OS in USF4.

Spent way too much time practicing this shit instead of having fun learning matchups / playing against people / going for setups in training.

The worst part was : you can't really play USF4 efficiently without those, backdashing being so godlike and some reversals being way too good (Dictator for example).

I really enjoy not having to spend hours learning 2 frames links (1+1 with Plink), and just focus on the gameplan and the fun parts.

Also : execution doesn't come "just" from links, it's included in every aspect of the game and tied to your reactions.

Not having "hard to learn" combos is usually scary for people that rely on execution to win their games.

SFV will most likely reward people that can apply footsies / react quickly / create openings / pressure efficiently.

That's what matters to me ... I don't think a lot of people were happy when they ate an Ultra for messing a link in USF4 ... I know I wasn't.

D

Deleted member 9158

It will be difficult for me because I don't have a PS4 or a PC that can run it.

....:(

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
@Error404

Week 1 shit (though not all of these are practical) :

Sorry but a few of these, seem quite far from "easy mode", link buffer or not :)