What's new

Why NOT play online?

@Drakonian @ddy_08 @ddy_08 @dubson @YourMKArcadeSource @McLOV1NS @Spic Unit @NoDoubt @YOMI REO @Trukuu777 @nwo @NobilityV3 @MRIGOTBASS @Juggs @Platinum Shinobi
@Shock
Tag others as you see fit.

What's the deal with not wanting to play online?
I mean, I get when you're trying to circumvent the globe to play with 500ms delay. But otherwise, why not? This game is FUN. I get it doesn't play the same offline as it does online - the tournament experience taught me that. I played better offline. EVERYONE does I think.
I prefer Mame to psn, I feel Mame is more responsive, less dropped inputs, and just feels better in identical ping. But I'll still play on psn. I'll still play online.
What's the hang up? Afraid to lose? Worried that you'll be 'exposed'?? Anybody worth their weight in salt has enough of a mind to know that online ability doesn't extend to offline ability.
I played @Trukuu777 on n64 mkt last night. Connection was decent. I lost a few rounds due to some lag issues. So did he. But you know what? It was fun.
When did this game, this small, dwindling but thriving community get so caught up in NOT playing online? I came from online. I'm not an OG or one of the best, but a lot DID come from online.
Community needs to grow. It needs to survive. That doesn't come from only playing offline in tournaments throughout the country or picking and choosing who you'll play online.

MRIGOTBASS

There are 2 types of players.

A. Those who enjoy playing to have fun, understand that its the INTERNET and there is going to be lag and just deal with it because its a game.
These people are VERY RARE, you must filter threw all the rubbish attitudes, excuses, ect and you will find them.

B. Then you have people who refuse to play people, because they have run out of excuses as to why they lose, and the final excuse can always be the net.
These people tend to not have fun when playing, make excuses, rage quit, refuse to play people, make excuses, ragequit ect.
There is no shortage of these folks, they typically say shit like "If it was offline I would 10-0 you" Real MK isnt played online ect.

Everyone loses games, its part of playing a game, its just how certain people handle losing. Some shut off the game walk away and forget it, others crawl into thier closets with a Walkie Talkie and a Tin Foil cap and start convulsing in rage LOL.

@McLOV1NS @Drakonian and I had that conversation sort of the night before get it in Ohio.
Basically summed up as an extra 2-3 frames will not make you THAT much better. If you have 2-3 frames, I have to adjust too.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
I used to play MK2 / UMK3 online all the time with friends. It was fun even if laggy. Id be down to do it all again with anyone here who's interested. Hit me up :)

why don't u write a guide on "how to play umk3 on mame for dummies"?
clearly there're people who don't know much about mame, they might find it useful
I wasn't addressing people who don't have Mame. I'm talking in general about people that won't play online or are very selective who they play with

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
No time. Busy with life. I work a lot of hours and usually come home exhausted. I also live alone so I have to take care of all the normal house upkeep/chores that most people get help with. I also repair and restore arcade machines in my spare time almost exclusively. When I do have some down time and try to go online, no one is there. I haven't played online in almost a year for no other reason than when I try, there's no one there and I quickly lose interest. Another facet is constantly being beaten, and no one likes that. ;)

Reactions: nwo
No time. Busy with life. I work a lot of hours and usually come home exhausted. I also live alone so I have to take care of all the normal house upkeep/chores that most people get help with. I also repair and restore arcade machines in my spare time almost exclusively. When I do have some down time and try to go online, no one is there. I haven't played online in almost a year for no other reason than when I try, there's no one there and I quickly lose interest. Another facet is constantly being beaten, and no one likes that. ;)
Let me know when you can play sometime man. Had a blast just chilling with you at get it in ohio, wish we could have played offline a little more. That U-Sub is beastly

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
I don't play online often for only a few reasons. Lag is the main one. Second are people who tea bag when they win due to lag, third is people seem to quit after they lose once. I'd rather play a ft5 with people online but it dosent seem to happen.

I love playing online. The only thing I don't like is that top players tend to think they're too good to play anyone other than another top player. I want to see how I fair against some of those guys but oh well.

@youramkarcadesourc, hey, I don't play online , not very good and not a lot of time, I enjoy hard CPU and have started to understand the game, but have miles to go, would u like to spar online, I use psn, if u do as well and are interested leave your I'd name for psn and we can play together

haketh

Noob
I gotta get around to trying out Retroarch for netplay for UMK3, TMNT:TF, & Endless Duel. Really wish FC had compatibility with Arcade UMKIII instead of just Genesis UMK3.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
I haven't played online in ages:

• Playstation Plus subscription expired--and I have no reason to extend it any time soon
  • I don't really enjoy fighting games online. Reflexes are way too important. No other genre, including twitch shooters, is so reliant on timing.
  • Internet can be really inconsistent where I live. Very rural area, higher population of deer than human. It generally works well enough for other online gaming, but not fighters.

mkholic

Noob
what YourMKArcadeSource and Trauma_and_Pain said: people don't play online cuz they don't play umk period
some are too fixated on the idea of winning/losing (which sometimes makes a good player) and can't help but think others don't play the game because they're afraid to lose

Last edited:
I don't play online often for only a few reasons. Lag is the main one. Second are people who tea bag when they win due to lag, third is people seem to quit after they lose once. I'd rather play a ft5 with people online but it dosent seem to happen.
I hear that. Lag is the major one, don't care if it's supposedly new code (ggpo) still crap and the beta was better imo. However, I do tend to put that aside and have fun, yet the t bagging does get annoying when a majority of them have egos bigger than their dick.

I hear that. Lag is the major one, don't care if it's supposedly new code (ggpo) still crap and the beta was better imo. However, I do tend to put that aside and have fun, yet the t bagging does get annoying when a majority of them have egos bigger than their dick.
Check the forum you're posting in.