What's new

General/Other - Deceptive Why Deceptive variation is GOOD

Kalaise

Noob
Numerous times I have to explain myself so I thought I'd make a post about it :)

Deceptive variation is not bad just because it has no way to enhance damage like nimble, or give unblockable damage like noxious, but it does have mind games.(if that's what you want to call them) When you use Reptiles invisibility, 9/10 times the opponents entire game plan will change.(in my experience) If you think about it from the other players point of view, when used with the correct setup, MOST people will panic and hold block as they get up assuming you use ex invs on a knockdown or combo ender, which all you have to do is hit them with the OH/Low based on how they're blocking and go from there. If they decide to wake up what I do is take a few steps and throw out a FFB(Fast Forceball) which is also the safest option.

In my opinion you should always have a general feel for your opponent before using invs so you can make the right read. Another good option is when invisible and you get a hard knockdown is stagger 2,1 or 1,4 for a slight frame advantage and use B1, D4, FFB full combo/OH hit into another hard knockdown forcing them into the same situation.(unless they ex wake-up a move) MY reptile Invs setups are 1,4 EX invs/F421~Reptile Dash~1,4 EX Invs/F421~EX Invs~ slide/ those are my only 3 setups that work reliably. Also, if you can manage to condition your opponent to block low you could hit them with F421 becsuse the second hit is an OH and they wont be able to see the string youre using, how DECEPTIVE....... invs also gives 1 hit of armor so its a nice to go invs and eat a hit :) I also feel like I should mention that since a lot of people are unfamiliar with the reptile match-up and other than reptiles mains not too many people know what is safe and unsafe, some strings like F21 EX invs can be used and then an immediate OH(quickest option) will almost always work, as well as F421 EX slide on block will work on someone unfamiliar with the match up.

By the way I'm not trying to say this character is top tier and these setups will make you un beatable, I'm just trying to rival the notion that deceptive variation is useless if anyone is ignorant enough to think so. This is how I play deceptive and is my preferred variation. I feel as though deceptive variation is over looked because its "not as cool" as nimble or noxious and its compared too much to MK9 version. In my opinion I believe deceptive to be his most useful variation and to the people who try to point out 1 or 2 flaws within this variation should keep quiet. NO Variation is perfect and there is ALWAYS an option for EVERYTHING in the game.

WHATS COOLER THAN GOING INVISIBLE!

Last edited:

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I see soo much wrong with this thread. And will pretty much counter every point you just made in a little

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
How? This is fact and has worked on a number of people. I also used words like mostly to clarify it doesn't work on everyone. I cannot possibly see how.
Pretty much all my points are going to come down to this: you cannot argue a character is useful and good by solely basing it on the fact that your opponent does not know the mu or is familiar with certain gimmicks

Kalaise

Noob
Pretty much all my points are going to come down to this: you cannot argue a character is useful and good by solely basing it on the fact that your opponent does not know the mu or is familiar with certain gimmicks
Only a very small portion was gimmicks and mu unfamiliarity. Re read the post man. And did I say the character is useful or the variation?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
How? This is fact and has worked on a number of people. I also used words like mostly to clarify it doesn't work on everyone. I cannot possibly see how.
Also for each ex invis setup you are dropping up to 15% damage plus using a bar. I really like your enthusiasm for the variation but I just don't see it whatsoever

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I main Deceptive Reptile unless im playing a teleport/heavy rushdown character, then I go Noxious. If there is one thing that I absolutely love, its when im playing casuals offline, I do a setup into invisibility and the first thing my opponents say is "Oh shit no no no!!!" Then panic mode activates as all buttons are pressed trying to hit me out of it. It amuses me!

Kalaise

Noob
Also for each ex invis setup you are dropping up to 15% damage plus using a bar. I really like your enthusiasm for the variation but I just don't see it whatsoever
Yes I am dropping damage but in return I get a setup that is almost always 25%+ because I'm still invisible, and who cares if I use a bar lol nimble uses a bar or its shit, too.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Yes I am dropping damage but in return I get a setup that is almost always 25%+ because I'm still invisible, and who cares if I use a bar lol nimble uses a bar or its shit, too.
Nimble uses a bar that gets him 40% damage though

Israel

Noob
I say this becuase we all know who deserved that more than anything.

Perhaps the char who has a variation SOLOEY for that purpose.