What's new

Why 1 bar block breakers are a necessity

Edit* Sorry Paulo, I didn't know you asked not to be tagged. My bad, man.

To start off, let me say that I love this game. MK is my favorite fighting game franchise and MKX is the best game in that franchise so far in my opinion, but the 2 biggest things limiting the gameplay's quality right now are A. the excessive amount of safe 50/50s that often can't be reacted to, and B. the extremely overpowered and fun killing block pressure. Instead of advocating for mass changes to almost every character in the game in order to balance these features, I think they can both be made almost completely fair with the slight tweaking of block breakers to cost 1 bar instead of 2, but first I'll cover the topic of stamina cost in breakers.

Stamina Cost

I believe block breakers, whether they cost 1 bar or 2, should cost either full stamina or half stamina. At least one of the reasons for both types of breakers costing stamina is to limit running so zoning can be more effective. If a player knows they can't break without stamina, they will know it won't be smart to run in many situations because they won't be able to break if they need to, so the zoning player does not have to worry about being rushed down quite as much.

The problem with this is, since players need 2 whole bars to break anyways, and they'll be using those bars for their metered tools throughout the match, they'll never worry about not being able to break because breakers aren't valuable enough as it is to sacrifice running since they cost so much and don't even guarantee any reward because they then leave you with empty stamina, therefore making it likely that you'll get put right back into the same situation of having to break again.

I'm not sure if block breakers and/or normal breakers should cost half stamina or full, but they should definitely cost some amount. If I had to say, I'd say regular breakers should cost half stamina and block breakers should cost full stamina while only requiring a bar to use, but I doubt it makes too much difference either way, so I'll leave that to Paulo and the game's testers to decide.

How they would fix block pressure

The list of high tier characters in this game almost universally rely on some form of block pressure. That includes Tempest Kung Lao, Kobu Jutsu Tanya, Hish Qu Ten Predator, Tremor, Imposter Shinnok, Bone Shaper Shinnok, Ronin Takeda, Shirai Ryu Takeda, DF Liu Kang, Jax, Erron Black, and to a certain extent Quan Chi. Some of these characters rely on stagger string mixups (Jax), some rely on inescapable loops for chip damage (Shinnok), some rely on a barrage of 50/50s that can either be made plus if blocked (Quan Chi) or if guessed wrong force the character to continue blocking (Takeda), and some rely on certain combinations of all of these (Tempest Lao, Kobu Tanya, Tremor). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but the point is that block pressure is clearly overpowered in MKX and leads to highly unfavorable guessing games and very easy, boring, yet extremely effective block string loops that neither the offensive nor defensive player enjoy.

1 bar block breakers would make all of this much more fair by giving the defensive player the option to spend a bar to completely avoid having to guess to escape the pressure or having to eat chip damage for 10 seconds. This would not underpower any of the characters I listed because A. they reap the benefits of cheaper block breakers too, B. they still get use out of their pressure tools because they are still a threat that forces the opponent to constantly conserve their meter, which means they get much less use out of their metered tools, which means the pressure character does not need to respect their EX moves nearly as much, and C. the breakers would still cost stamina, so once they are used, the player that broke is now at a neutral disadvantage. Block breakers would not be spammed because pressure can still be escaped without them in most cases and if a player thinks they can get out of the pressure without using a bar and stamina, they will usually try.

How they would make 50/50s much more fair

Even if block breakers would do nothing to stop a raw 50/50 attempt, they could still be used to avoid being put under minus frames where the 50/50 would normally be unavoidable, or having to take a 50/50 that would hit in the middle of a string rather than at the start. Besides, most 50/50s aren't done raw anyways. Usually they will come after a blocked jump in punch or during some form of pressure. If a player ends up having to eat a 50/50 attempt after being poked or after being rushed down, then that's mostly their fault for losing the neutral game and not controlling spacing better than their opponent.

Since a blocked JIP gives the offensive player enough plus frames to usually guarantee their 50/50 attempt, if the defensive player wanted to avoid taking the following mix-up, they could just block break that jump in punch. In addition, if a character has a string with a 50/50 in the middle or at the end of it, either with a normal attack or a special that hits low or overhead, then if the opponent knows this they can simply block break the first normal and not have to take the following mix-up. Examples of these cases would be Quan Chi's close EX rune, Mileena's f343/4 string, Buzz Saw Kung Lao's b2 into low hat, War God Kotal Kahn's overhead and low specials mixed into strings, and many more. Obviously it wouldn't always be smart to spend a bar to block break these examples, but at the ends of games where you don't want to leave whether you win or lose up to chance, it's just another option to help facilitate a comeback.

Bonus benefits 1 bar block breakers would bring

They would make grabs less effective and easier to read because, for one, they give the opponent a ton of meter, which is more meter to be used to break out of pressure for a bar, and also if it's at the end of a game and the offensive player knows their opponent has a bar to break their chip damage pressure, they might decide to avoid this by grabbing, which the defending player could then read and neutral duck to get a full combo punish which would bring him much closer to a comeback win.

Matches would also use a significantly larger portion of the clock in at least a fair amount of match ups because the breaker animation not only takes time off the clock itself, but it can also be used to break out of corner pressure and pressure in general which usually leads to losing tons of health in a very short amount of time.

Comebacks would be more likely for many of the reasons I previously explained.

And most of all, I think many people who are turned off by the game in its current state, including some previous NRS game competitors, would end up liking the game a lot more. Other changes would accomplish this too like buffing anti-airs and improving some of the other zoning characters in the game like Kenshi, Pyromancer Tanya, and Necromancer Shinnok, but those are topics for other threads.

In conclusion

I strongly feel that block breakers becoming 1 bar would make Mortal Kombat X go from being a great game to a fantastic game. It would vastly improve the game's roster balance while making MKX in general an even more fun and skill-based experience. Some characters may have to be adjusted after a change like this. Some characters may become even more overpowered like Summoner Quan Chi; it's hard to say, but he needs to be nerfed regardless. Other characters like Flame Fist Liu Kang might need to be buffed to compensate for the change, but I guarantee the good this change would do for the game would massively outweigh the bad it might do.

Anyways, thanks for reading guys. I know it was long but it had to be. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this post, please let me know either in this thread or through a private message.

@16 Bit @tylerlansdown @Tom Brady @SonicFox5000 @YOMI REO @YOMI FOREVER KING @PND_Mustard @PND_Ketchup @A F0xy Grampa

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
Just something to consider:

If block breakers would cost 1 bar, characters with insane pressure like Lao, Tanya etc wouldn't even have to block anything since they build so much meter on block (on top of insane chip), they would just break anything and everything. That would broke the game. Lao would be totally broken (not only semi broken like now).

Anyway just my 2 cents. Also i wouldn't expect any attention from NRS in this or at best you gonna be sent to Paulo fav. quote, coz you know he/they know best. ;)

Last edited:

If block breakers would cost 1 bar, characters with insane pressure like Lao, Tanya etc wouldn't even have to block anything since they build so much meter on (on top of insane chip). That would broke the game. Lao would be totally broken (not only semi broken like now).

Anyway just my 2 cents. Also i wouldn't expect any attention from NRS in this or at best you gonna be sent to Paulo fav. quote, coz you know he/they know best. ;)
They build meter by attacking their opponent's guard, which theoretically they wouldn't be able to do as much. Even if it did make them even more overpowered, which I highly doubt, that would just mean that they would need to be nerfed.

Because every other of the 100,000,000 players who have an opinion on anything are also doing this.
I haven't noticed any other threads with tags to Paulo in I don't know how long. Besides, that just means they should stop, not me. Regardless, he can just disable getting alerts from tags or just ignore them. I have to at least try to get his attention with this thread that I put a lot of time and thought into.

1 bar + half a bar of stamina seems like the most reasonable cost for a block breaker IMO. I really can't agree with block breakers costing full stamina - if nothing else, you should have the option to backdash afterwards.

The only small worry I'd have on this front is that it could end up having unintended negative consequences for the game's balance e.g. top tier characters benefiting from this considerably more than low tier ones do.

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't complain if they reduced the cost of block breakers at all; as it stands they're only worth using if you're ridiculously desperate.

Infinite

Noob

If block breakers would cost 1 bar, characters with insane pressure like Lao, Tanya etc wouldn't even have to block anything since they build so much meter on (on top of insane chip), they would just break anything and everything. That would broke the game. Lao would be totally broken (not only semi broken like now).

Not to sound sarcastic but, you have to block to block breaker. It would obviously benefit characters that generate more meter than others, but it would also hurt block pressure harder than any other aspects of the game. I'm not totally in agreement with the OP either, but I don't really have any easy fix ideas my self.

I haven't noticed any other threads with tags to Paulo in I don't know how long. Besides, that just means they should stop, not me. Regardless, he can just disable getting alerts from tags or just ignore them. I have to at least try to get his attention with this thread that I put a lot of time and thought into.
That's the issue. He just ignores them. He's constantly tagged so it's all drowned out in white noise. Maybe if he were only tagged in important threads by established players, he'd take note.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
That's the fucking point he shouldn't have to and it makes his actual job much harder.

This thread is your opinion. And it's a bad one. We do NOT need a massive buff to Quan right now. Don't tag Colt in stuff like this at all but definitely not in something so highly debated, their is no consensus here at all.

That's the issue. He just ignores them. He's constantly tagged so it's all drowned out in white noise. Maybe if he were only tagged in important threads by established players, he'd take note.
It'd be great if an established player would have made a thread like this instead of me, it would probably get more attention than this will. Personally though, I think whether a thread deserves to have a tag to Paulo and other influential people should be based on the thread's merits in terms of its arguments and composition. Do you think the post makes sense? If not, then I can understand why you wouldn't want me to contribute to clogging Paulo's alert box up, but if so, then it shouldn't matter whether I'm Goat-City or Sonicfox. Paulo would need to see it either way.

That's the fucking point he shouldn't have to and it makes his actual job much harder.

This thread is your opinion. And it's a bad one. We do NOT need a massive buff to Quan right now. Don't tag Colt in stuff like this at all but definitely not in something so highly debated, their is no consensus here at all.
If you feel that way about my thread, then address my points and tell me why you disagree with them individually. Also, tagging Paulo doesn't just alert him to my opinion, but the opinion of anyone who replies in agreement or disagreement as well.

Last edited:
Ty for taking the time to do a write up on your logic. Unfortunately nobody here actually cares about anything worth discussing, they just want to talk about kung Lao, quan chi, and funny memes. That's why there was almost no talk about the tournament foreverking Jr won recently

I GOT HANDS

If you feel that way about my thread, then address my points and tell me why you disagree with them individually.
It's pretty self explanatory. It doesn't matter though, my point isn't why I disagree, it's about not tagging Paulo in shit that half the game or likely more doesn't want to see implemented. Come up with a consensus everyone can agree on at the very least first. It doesn't matter if you are an established player or not, you are missing the point here.

It's pretty self explanatory. It doesn't matter though, my point isn't why I disagree, it's about not tagging Paulo in shit that half the game or likely more doesn't want to see implemented. Come up with a consensus everyone can agree on at the very least first. It doesn't matter if you are an established player or not, you are missing the point here.
Lol the point of the post is to persuade others to my point of view including Paulo. If someone disagrees they can post why down below and Paulo will see that too. And no it is not self-explanatory, that's just you trying to dodge giving your opinion because you're afraid of me countering your arguments. This will be my last reply to you unless you decide to share your opinion on my points; the discussions in this thread should deal with the topic.

I GOT HANDS

I really don't think we need a change implemented that buffs the shit out of Predator and Quan Chi and anyone else weak to pressure, and nerfsLiu Kang, Johnny, and any other pressure character. It doesn't matter though, this change will never go through, it's been discussed to death already and at this stage, the game is balanced around it. Just because block breakers are bad at the moment doesn't mean they need to be arbitrarily buffed if it's going to throw out balance, why do we need. Find a different way to make them useful and then make this thread.

paulo doesn't care what you think
I'm now starting to see why some people hate this site lol
I really don't think we need a change implemented that buffs the shit out of Predator and Quan Chi and anyone else weak to pressure, and nerfsLiu Kang, Johnny, and any other pressure character. It doesn't matter though, this change will never go through, it's been discussed to death already and at this stage, the game is balanced around it. Just because block breakers are bad at the moment doesn't mean they need to be arbitrarily buffed if it's going to throw out balance, why do we need. Find a different way to make them useful and then make this thread.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. As I covered in the OP, the fact that it MIGHT buff Predator and/or Quan, which I'm not sure that it would since, as I also explained in the OP, block breakers would hurt them significantly as well, does not mean block breakers shouldn't be 1 bar, just that they would need to be nerfed. Either they would stay exactly where they are on the tier list, or they would go down a notch. As for A-List and DF Liu Kang, they both also need a nerf as all top tier pressure characters do. Additionally, that is also not an argument why block breakers shouldn't be 1 bar because all that would mean is that Johnny and Liu Kang would need to be buffed. Instead of asking me to, how about you make your own thread suggesting how to buff block breakers without making them a bar, and then I can come take a shit all over that?

Last edited: