What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi Who will swear allegiance to our beloved overlord?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.
Ugh... Just a random quote, nevermind :p

Anyway. I get this character loyalism thing, but isn't it too early to make claims, especially since most of you probably have other favs who may actually make it into the game?

I, for one, was expecting him to be in this game but considering impressions of people who played him a bit at Moscow expo are something along the lines of what I read as "He's worse than in MK9 so far", I'm worried now.

Quan surely scores a ton of class points though, so I just hope something will be changed and/or we don't really understand the game basics yet (which is certainly the case lol).

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
so i wonder how good quan will be in mkx.

runes knockdown
EX rune launches
teleport knocksdown, i think ex does too
trance doesn't last half as long as it did in mk9
i dont think ex trance steals meter

he sounds horrible when i say it like that, but if quan is good in mkx, it's not going to be because of (the same) design flaws he had.

edit: teleport can't be redirected

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
so i wonder how good quan will be in mkx.

runes knockdown
EX rune launches
teleport knocksdown, i think ex does too
trance doesn't last half as long as it did in mk9
i dont think ex trance steals meter

he sounds horrible when i say it like that, but if quan is good in mkx, it's not going to be because of (the same) design flaws he had.

edit: teleport can't be redirected
But special moves are only part of the battle. Quan's problem in MK9 was his speed and normals. 11frame Down1. 14frame mid starter. Unconfirmable overhead launcher. Holes in his attack strings. 11frame standing jab. Long whiff recovery.

Quan's specials will work differently, and there will be new options too. But we won't know anything abut this character until we know how his footsies work, his frame data, his damage output, his mobility. etc

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
But special moves are only part of the battle. Quan's problem in MK9 was his speed and normals. 11frame Down1. 14frame mid starter. Unconfirmable overhead launcher. Holes in his attack strings. 11frame standing jab. Long whiff recovery.

Quan's specials will work differently, and there will be new options too. But we won't know anything abut this character until we know how his footsies work, his frame data, his damage output, his mobility. etc
sorry if i sounded negative, but you have to admit, compared to the quan we're used to, this one doesn't seem as good. i can also confirm that ex trance doesn't steal meter as of now. it doesn't seem be faster, last longer, or have any difference really. i expect him to get quite a few changes in the final build.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
sorry if i sounded negative, but you have to admit, compared to the quan we're used to, this one doesn't seem as good. i can also confirm that ex trance doesn't steal meter as of now. it doesn't seem be faster, last longer, or have any difference really. i expect him to get quite a few changes in the final build.
I don't have to "admit" he doesn't seem as good. MK9 was low tier and nothing I've seen makes me think he's worse than that. I don't know how good he's going to be at all. I just know that he looks awesome.

Andromeda

I am Bard
I enjoyed playing as him in 2011, his gibberish was awesome, his special abilities were one of my favorites... I expect to be pleased again when I get my hands on this character.

I just hope that he can do more than summon a bat in his summoner variation, that's all I ask for. Not too much of a request is it?

wselak

Noob
i'm pleased to see the devotion to Quan Chi. i am too a big fan of his and i'll use him elusively in MKX . i main'd him in deadly alliance after watching him and Shang kill Liu Kang. that was a huge "oh shit" moment. he goes after everyone good or bad it doesn't matter. Shinnok tried something stupid and got his ass killed too. i used him the most out of everyone in mk9 as well. i like he got his hop kick move back in the trailer. its at 1:55 on the video

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
I just hope that he can do more than summon a bat in his summoner variation, that's all I ask for. Not too much of a request is it?
yeah his summoner variation was the one i cared about the least. i liked sorcerer and warlock much more. but what else would he be able to do? the only thing we can really hope for is that the bat somehow becomes more useful because right now, outside of a bat summon after trance, it just looks like a projectile with different hit levels.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
yeah his summoner variation was the one i cared about the least. i liked sorcerer and warlock much more. but what else would he be able to do? the only thing we can really hope for is that the bat somehow becomes more useful because right now, outside of a bat summon after trance, it just looks like a projectile with different hit levels.
People seem to insist on summoning off trance, yet something tells me that he'll maybe be able to cancel some string into it as a form of combo ender, similarly to GA's loading or Zod's trait. Something to keep the momentum maybe. It's a good question how hard his neutral game will be without that, or whether the bat does enough to compensate for that and other tools he won't have anyways.
Not that anyone reported him to have any of those in Summoner too...

That said, I can see Sorcerer having similar problem to an extent, seeing how his circles take time to setup too, although he may have additional moves / better properties on them.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
People seem to insist on summoning off trance, yet something tells me that he'll maybe be able to cancel some string into it as a form of combo ender, similarly to GA's loading or Zod's trait. Something to keep the momentum maybe. It's a good question how hard his neutral game will be without that, or whether the bat does enough to compensate for that and other tools he won't have anyways.
Not that anyone reported him to have any of those in Summoner too...

That said, I can see Sorcerer having similar problem to an extent, seeing how his circles take time to setup too, although he may have additional moves / better properties on them.
i think it would be better combo potential to summon bat, string into bat attack, trance, then combo, but it was reported that the bat disappears when quan gets hit or after it doing nothing for a few seconds, so that probably won't be easy to pull off. my idea is string into hitconfirm trance (since trance is allegedly BIG DISADVANTAGE on block), summon bat, then get increased combo potential and maybe damage. that seems like the most practical use of it. i also read there's little to no cooldown, so maybe if you use it in the beginning of a combo, you'll get to activate it again at the end of the combo. other notes on the bat are that it doesn't track the opponent (i saw a clip where kano jumped over the low bat). it also can't be used in combos because of the startup, but maybe the testers will change that once they get their hands on the game.
another idea is maybe he can command the bat while doing other moves like zod could. so summon bat, throw out trance, if it gets blocked, attack with bat to make it "safe"?
yeah i was also worried about his circles because in the trailer it was very easy for kano to do a ball attack and knock quan out of the circle.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
https://twitter.com/NetherRealm/status/522478671605800961

Extra chip damage :eek:

Edit: Also whats up with his eyes
thanks i've been waiting for them to release this. so i guess the purple circle increases damage and chip for skull and runes. seems good because he has to stay in the circle and somehow prevent being knocked out of it. the green circle gives him armor. still don't know what the third one does.

his eyes looks purple like his sorcerer tattoos. i can't remember if it did that in game, but i remember his eyes being red when he did his fatality. i think he was in summoner for that.

edit: wait the description doesn't really make sense unless being in the spell circle and having one on screen but being out of it have different effects.

Dark

Noob
thanks i've been waiting for them to release this. so i guess the purple circle increases damage and chip for skull and runes. seems good because he has to stay in the circle and somehow prevent being knocked out of it. the green circle gives him armor. still don't know what the third one does.

his eyes looks purple like his sorcerer tattoos. i can't remember if it did that in game, but i remember his eyes being red when he did his fatality. i think he was in summoner for that.

edit: wait the description doesn't really make sense unless being in the spell circle and having one on screen but being out of it have different effects.
I believe the chip damage isn't one of the spells, it's just a bonus thing for that variation.

And I meant it looks like he's looking up in a weird way

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
I believe the chip damage isn't one of the spells, it's just a bonus thing for that variation.

And I meant it looks like he's looking up in a weird way
oh maybe. i just wonder if spell circles are useless if you're not in them. i figured it might still do something since it has a lot of startup. and this variation seems a lot like warlock with the anti-defense approach. so many questions, so long to find out.

oh it does lol. i thought you meant the glow because people on the twitter were complaining about his eyes being too bright. if anyone wants to save that photo, you can on their facebook page. couldn't figure out how to on twitter.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I've noticed that his eyes change color depending on variation to somewhat match "main color" of each. You can see it in the reveal trailer in the beginning, where selection screen is shown.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
I've noticed that his eyes change color depending on variation to somewhat match "main color" of each. You can see it in the reveal trailer in the beginning, where selection screen is shown.
yeah i think that's cool. don't know why people on twitter hate it. i also noticed a part of his chest piece glows green when he chooses warlock. his chest piece must be important somehow because it's pretty much his winpose lol.

JDM

Noob
You guys are crazy picking a main with not even half the cast revealed !

However I will admit Quan Chi probably looks the coolest out of the current characters. I would never main Quan Chi, no matter how good he is.

I will say though, over the past few months I've been favoriting threads around the internet about MKX news and rumors to see how off base so many of us were when the game comes out.

This will be one of the threads :3