What's new

Who is the most powerful in Mortal Kombat history?

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Okay, canonically speaking, the One Being is implied to be the most powerful being in the series. However, he never physically appeared outside a non-canon Onaga ending, so let's do a run-down on who's not the most powerful:

Shao Kahn - Okay, Shao Kahn is extremely strong and brutal, but his powers do not surpass that of the Elder Gods. Him underestimating them is why he gets his ass handed to him in MK9. It's implied he's as strong as he is because he's absorbed the souls of billions of people throughout his conquest for thousands of years, and gained combat experience in the process. Hence, he's thousands of times stronger now than he was when he had to poison Onaga.

Shinnok - Shinnok is a fallen-Elder God. This technically makes him the most powerful villain in MK, as far as natural abilities go. However, he transferred part of his power to his amulet, so without it, he can be defeated by any mortal, like Liu Kang.

Liu Kang - Champion of Mortal Kombat. Has beaten Shao Kahn and Shinnok w/o amulet. May not be the most powerful in the series, but is definitely the strongest human (who wasn't bestowed broken powers).

Onaga - There's this misconception that he's actually more powerful than Shao Kahn because he was Shao Kahn's boss at one point. But really, Shao Kahn became much stronger through the years, to the point where it's implied he defeated Onaga in Armageddon. The reason he's so insanely strong in Deception is because he has the power of the Kamidogu. Without them, I don't think his powers surpass that of Shao Kahn or Shinnok. However, his ability to resurrect his army infinite numbers of time makes him the most dangerous foe.

Blaze - The embodiment of Armageddon. I would say he's the most powerful final boss for that reason alone.

But as far as who's the strongest character aside from the One Being and Elder Gods? It has to be Taven or Shujinko. The latter has the most broken ability ever. The former is a half-god who can, apparently, move at the speed of light and stop time. Not to mention, he likely killed Blaze before Shao Kahn intervened, and defeated (Dark) Raiden beforehand.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, if you're talking "as far as MKU" Elder Gods then the One Being" since both are omnipotent and have existed before the realms were even made by the Elder Gods after defeating the One Being eons ago. But like @Onilordasmodeus stated, can't really count these guys since they're just on a whole other level...

However, regular characters. Probably Raiden(with no power compromises) Onaga(of course with the Kamidogu he's invincible by regular character means), MK A Blaze powered Shao Kahn was also invincible by regular characters as to why Raiden used time travel messages/visions to alter the future. As far as tons of powers, have to go with Raiden because notice in every game he seems to pull more powers out of his hat lol. Healing, time travel, forseeing etc) on top of flying, super strength, being made of pure electricity/energy, controls thunder and lightning, can fly, can exist in space, can create portals, banish, destroy, teleport etc, etc lol Shujinko is up there for sure no doubt, I suppose you can put Elder God Deception powered Scorpion too. Fujin is up there, Ermac for sure(once he's freed from Kahn's control) he proved immune to Onaga's mind control and felt the One Being's presence during Deception on top of strong TK. Shao Kahn, Shinnok too.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Using canonical events as support;

Liu Kang: obviously. Defeated Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn.

Ermac: defeated like 4 or 5 mind controlled good guys at once. Liu Kang and Kitana are the only ones I remember. One could argue that because they were under mind control they were weaker but that's useless speculation.

Shao Kahn: killed more people than Hitler and Stalin combined.

Sub-Zero (Bi-Han): killed Scorpion, destroyed the 4 elemental gods, defeated a whole slew of Netherrealm fighters including Quan Chi and Shinnok.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Now I know kabal is the best in MK9 and really isn't that powerful (as we saw he got merked my sindel) but.... if you have someone that moves as fast as kabal technically shouldnt nobody really be able to kill him? How are you gonna kill something you can't catch?

Just a thought

Top characters in MK history in no order SHOULD be any gods or semi gods and anybody with crazy powers or magical forces.

Most OP;
Kenshi
Fujin
Kabal
Quan chi
Shang tsung
Ermac
Rain
And anybody else I missed with Cray OP super powers or gods

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Okay, canonically speaking, the One Being is implied to be the most powerful being in the series. However, he never physically appeared outside a non-canon Onaga ending, so let's do a run-down on who's not the most powerful:

Shao Kahn - Okay, Shao Kahn is extremely strong and brutal, but his powers do not surpass that of the Elder Gods. Him underestimating them is why he gets his ass handed to him in MK9. It's implied he's as strong as he is because he's absorbed the souls of billions of people throughout his conquest for thousands of years, and gained combat experience in the process. Hence, he's thousands of times stronger now than he was when he had to poison Onaga.
This post is so much fail I just can't handle it.
It is implied that bla bla bla.... Implied.... implied.... implied... billions souls... pussies out instead of 1v1 Onaga.... billion souls... gets bodied by Liu Kang.
Liu Kang > 1 billion souls...
Gets bodied by Deadly Alliance..
Deadly Alliance > 1 Billion Souls
Quan Chi + Shang Tsung > 1 billion souls
Quan Chi was pimp smacking Shang till Onaga arrived
Quan Chi > Shang
Qun Chi > Gets bodied by older Sub-Zero.
Older Sub-Zero > Quan Chi
Shang Tsung - gets bodied by Liu Kang.
Liu Kang > Shang
Liu almost gets bopped by older Sub Zero until the latter is hyper kombo'ed by a bucket of water.
Bucket of water = how many souls ?

See how much your logic doesn't make any sense ?? Dawg !! YKWIS.

TLDR
Just because something is implied doesn't mean it is true. On panel showings prove how much of a weakling Shao Kahn is by losing to Liu Kang and getting killed by DA. Even in his ending in MK Unchained he needs a freaking Goro with poisoned blades to help him against Onaga. So much for billions of souls, hahaha.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
This post is so much fail I just can't handle it.
It is implied that bla bla bla.... Implied.... implied.... implied... billions souls... pussies out instead of 1v1 Onaga.... billion souls... gets bodied by Liu Kang.
Liu Kang > 1 billion souls...
Gets bodied by Deadly Alliance..
Deadly Alliance > 1 Billion Souls
Quan Chi + Shang Tsung > 1 billion souls
Quan Chi was pimp smacking Shang till Onaga arrived
Quan Chi > Shang
Qun Chi > Gets bodied by older Sub-Zero.
Older Sub-Zero > Quan Chi
Shang Tsung - gets bodied by Liu Kang.
Liu Kang > Shang
Liu almost gets bopped by older Sub Zero until the latter is hyper kombo'ed by a bucket of water.
Bucket of water = how many souls ?

See how much your logic doesn't make any sense ?? Dawg !! YKWIS.

TLDR
Just because something is implied doesn't mean it is true. On panel showings prove how much of a weakling Shao Kahn is by losing to Liu Kang and getting killed by DA. Even in his ending in MK Unchained he needs a freaking Goro with poisoned blades to help him against Onaga. So much for billions of souls, hahaha.
- Shao Kahn didn't get bodied by the DA. That was a clone, and they blindsided him.

- Quan Chi and Shang Tsung are the strongest sorcerors in the franchise. But who do you think trained Shang Tsung to get to his current level? Shao Kahn.

- Quan Chi wasn't pimp smacking Shang. But yeah, he is marginally more powerful and skilled. He's lived longer and has traveled freely to many realms for years.

- The bucket of water thing is not seen in any of the main games. And anyways, whether or not Liu Kang can manhandle one guy (which he never has against Shang or Shao Kahn), but do worse against another means nothing. It's like saying Boxer A can beat Boxer B because Boxer B couldn't beat Boxer C, who Boxer A did. Liu Kang is human, unlike the other beings on this list. It takes every fiber of his being, and all the willpower in the world, for him to beat people like Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, and Shinnok. He's not the most powerful, but he is one of the, if not the, greatest kombatant(s).

- Shao Kahn's Deception/Unchained ending is non-canon. Also, after MK3, he was greatly weakened, both politically and physically, which is why he remained inactive during Shinnok's war, and why he needed Goro's help against Onaga. He didn't ally himself with Goro just for this though; he also wanted to reclaim the loyalty of the Shokans, who had sided with the Edenians against him.

- I'm not going to argue that it isn't debatable whether Onaga or Shao Kahn is stronger. But the last time we saw Onaga, he carried Shao Kahn off into the sky in Armageddon. But who was on top of the pyramid in MK9? Shao Kahn. And who is sitting on the throne of Outworld in Armageddon, looking like a boss while Onaga stands and watches him talk? Shao Kahn, who regained power after Onaga's defeat.

- I'm not pulling the "billions of souls" thing out of my ass. In MK3, when Shao Kahn invades Earthrealm, he claims the souls of nearly every living being of that realm instead of ruling over them. What do you think he does with these souls? Makes a glow lamp? Maybe. But in MK9, we clearly saw him transferring the souls of Shang Tsung onto Sindel, powering her to a point where she effortlessly killed almost all the good guys. I'm pretty sure he doesn't make a habit of powering up his allies over himself. And if that's the case, one has to think for second........he's been doing this for HUNDREDS OF YEARS!

TL;DR - Shao Kahn is one of the strongest characters in the series, whether you like it or not, and possibly stronger than Onaga w/o Kamidogu. If he gets beaten by a human (albeit, the strongest human in existence), despite having hundreds of years of experience and billions of souls in his possession.......well, I'm not the one who writes this stuff. Same people had Stryker beat Kintaro and Ermac.

Last edited:

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
@Deyrax how long have you been an MK fan? Shao Kahn lost to the DA? Liu beat Kahn straight up? If you've followed the story, then you know these things aren't true.

Bottom line, Liu Kang might be the most skilled fighter in the MKU, but without the EG's rules, and/or their influence, and also Raiden's interference in MK3, he would have died just like any other human at multiple points in the story.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol the demon concept? haha. That guyd did look kind of freaky, but in a way I'm glad they ditched him because IDK animal face character...keep that shit in Tekken lol. Though I know Zebron was a demon in concept.

@Deyrax how long have you been an MK fan? Shao Kahn lost to the DA? Liu beat Kahn straight up? If you've followed the story, then you know these things aren't true.

Bottom line, Liu Kang might be the most skilled fighter in the MKU, but without the EG's rules, and/or their influence, and also Raiden's interference in MK3, he would have died just like any other human at multiple points in the story.
Hey guys just want to point out that later on it was revealed that that wasn't the REAL Shao Kahn who got killed by the DA(like we thought), it was actually a clone Kahn while he escaped to heal. He was weakened by that point, then found Goro again to scheme again leading up to the events of Deception, MKA etc. Talking of course in the original timeline.

Raiden, because he simply sent a corrupted Elder God (Shinnok) to the fuckin' pits of the Netherrealm.
And Shinnok, this guy defeated Lucifer himself…..
Johnny Cage, because f3.