What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang What's Liu Kang missing to be top tier?

I agree. He has better rushdown but Lao is a better character overall is what I meant.
could be in the same league we'll see i need to see it in action. I remember in mk9 the footsie/poke/counterpoke game became dominated by fast mids and lius b1 seems built for that sort of meta and it starts his relentless pressure.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
could be in the same league we'll see i need to see it in action. I remember in mk9 the footsie/poke/counterpoke game became dominated by fast mids and lius b1 seems built for that sort of meta and it starts his relentless pressure.
That is actually very true, and I loved the MK9 footsie game so I hope that happens, but I'm not sure if this game is gonna turn out like MK9 tbh. We'll just have to wait and see.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Lui Kang is top tier in my book. Keeping him out is a bitch and once he's inside with his kicks and flurry of punches he's probably one of the tougher characters to face. I don't get to see skilled Lui Kangs often so when I get one its a big WTF moment.

on a serious note Kang is lacking in the air department the most. most of the time i don't even jump because his jump normals have shit hitboxes and his jump arc is slightly too floaty. characters like kotal and sonya can jump at him all the time and it makes those MU's slightly difficult. before he got nerfed again after CEO he had meterless damage in FF but now i need to use meter for midscreen damage. lets just say this the CEO version of FF Liu Kang was a top 10 character for sure.

Also on my match versus Sonic i never actually played the Erron Black MU before, i didn't even know i was playing sonic until we got on stage since mostly everyone was telling me i was playing milky in top 8 i practiced on that MU the most. i discovered that WP whiffs on EB if he crouches and it leaves me at +5 which sonic already knew since i played his Kitana when i landed on friday and used the tech on him. idk maybe it was the stage but i just made the wrong read and he made the right ones almost everytime. like once i ended the block string in db2 in the corner and went for an ex WP, EB's only options are to jump or block unless he wanted to eat 51% one bar. the 2nd time i did it i went to NJP because i read he would jump again, had he jumped i would have hit him with 57% meterless combo that i can do in my sleep. these are the tide turners in matches that you see a lot, it comes down to one read and it could have turned the tide of the match, but instead i made the wrong one and got punished. also i think FF is better than DF for a few reason, but if you disagree then go out and prove me wrong guys.

also can Kang get a DP? like he has every dragon special, it would be so sick if in MK11 he got a Dragon Punch, that would make him possibly top 5 in this game if he had it.
I would like to know why you believe that FF is superior to DF (not saying i agree or disagree). I wanna hear your explanation first since you're the only liu player to place a top 8 so far.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Dragon's Fire has been fucked up, I've been saying for nearly a month lmao. He is the best rushdown character in this game bar none, throw in his high damage combos, low profiling fireballs and you have an amazing character.

His only problems are that he's pretty free on wakeup, has terrible jumpins, and D2 is his only real AA.
How is he free on wake up? That EX DB2 overhead is fast, safe and armored, but can be low profiled. But if you go for the low profile he can do the ex flying kick and get the fuck out of there back to almost full screen. Which is extremely annoying when you finally corner him.

I think he has pretty good options on wake up, unless I'm missing something, like a universal way to blow up both wake up options.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
How is he free on wake up? That EX DB2 overhead is fast, safe and armored, but can be low profiled. But if you go for the low profile he can do the ex flying kick and get the fuck out of there back to almost full screen. Which is extremely annoying when you finally corner him.

I think he has pretty good options on wake up, unless I'm missing something, like a universal way to blow up both wake up options.
Ex DB2 is easily stuffable and slow, and most characters in the high tiers can punish a full a Whiffed Ex flying kick pretty easily.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Ex DB2 is easily stuffable and slow, and most characters in the high tiers can punish a full a Whiffed Ex flying kick pretty easily.
You're right I just checked EX DB2 and it's 18f.

But I didn't know characters can whiff punish flying kick. I mean I couldn't catch him with Sub-Zero's slide after baiting it. I guess Bone Shaper can scoop him. Can KL teleport and punish?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
You're right I just checked EX DB2 and it's 18f.

But I didn't know characters can whiff punish flying kick. I mean I couldn't catch him with Sub-Zero's slide after baiting it. I guess Bone Shaper can scoop him. Can KL teleport and punish?
Raiden can Superman, Dvorah can puddle, Quan Chi has a bunch of options, SZ can run and slide I believe same with Shinnok Scoop, all Teleport characters can punish for free as well though I'm not 100% sure about Kung Lao, and these are just off the top of my head.

E

Eldriken

Raiden can Superman, Dvorah can puddle, Quan Chi has a bunch of options, SZ can run and slide I believe same with Shinnok Scoop, all Teleport characters can punish for free as well though I'm not 100% sure about Kung Lao, and these are just off the top of my head.
Even Jason's teleport would get him a free punish? Shit's slow, yo. >_>

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I had to ask 'cause you said "all teleport characters". =P Jason's doesn't count, so I should have known better. LOL His teleport should be called "Free Punish" instead of "Lake Mist".
I think you'd still be able to be at decent frame advantage if you were fast enough to teleport.

E

Eldriken

I think you'd still be able to be at decent frame advantage if you were fast enough to teleport.
Maybe if I burned a bar of meter, lol. I'll just stick to bitching and complaining about how my characters suck against Liu Kang. :p

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
i must be super godlike then to make top 8 at evo with a vastly inferior variation, while all the other liu kang mains couldn't make top 64.........or maybe its non of the above.
Not sure why people can't agree that both variations are good and have different applications based on what the player wants to do in a particular match. or just player style altogether.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
Since no one cares about my first post, are iafb's essential to playing liu kang?