What's new

What Variations Ended Up Being Better/Worse Than You Thought They Would Be?

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Variations like Outlaw , Bojudtsu , Summoner and Wrestler were poor presented (in the Kombat Kasts/Trailers)but look what happened ...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I still want to know what Deceptive Reptile can do that Nimble Reptile can't.
Deceptive Reptile has a better projectile war game than any of the other variations, because of stealth's properties (no damage taken when hit out of stealth, EX has armor on startup). Also, Deceptive has the absolute best rushdown game of the three due to EX stealth making it practically impossible to tell what Reptile is doing. It's got the weakest damage game, though.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
Flame Fist Liu Kang. Not that i thought it was bad, but i just didnt think it would be so fun to play. Havent put him down since.

Full-Auto Jacqui. Same with Flame Fist, i just didnt expect it to be so fun. The combos are so simple to input but look so flashy aswell as getting so much damage. Thats the kindve punishes i like to have.

Ravenous Mileena. I didnt know much about it until release, and when viewing it as character select, i was very "meh" about it. Took it into Training Mode.....Sit-Down Pedigree slams. I was sold.

WATCHD0G

Noob
Ancestral Kung Jin turned out to be way worse than I thought it would be (I blame injustice) while bojutsu is hella flashy.
I think if Ancestral Kung jun had a number of shots when he loads up (like GA) would be MUCH better. I mean NRS already made him like GA a little, might as well go all the way right? :)

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Better
Lui Kang Flamefist
Sonya Covert Ops
Ermac Master of Souls (I thought Ermac would be shit of the world already)

Worse
Raiden Displacer - I was really looking forward to playing this variation. I thought that his teleport would be way more safe. Instead you just stand there for what feels like 100 frames before you can do anything. Oh well... lucky for Thunder God!

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I just want it known that i was right about Reptile. If you go back and look at UsedForGlue's thread and ZigZag's reaction threads, i was up playing Reptile hella.

I even said that it was possible that Reptile was so fundamentally solid that he didn't need gimmicky variations. Just solid buffs to his existing tools.

Go back and look.

Man, how smart am i?

*Feels self*

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
So you think his variations are bad and that the developets should have looked into them.

Even though Reptilr has every tool you could want out of a character.
I didn't say his Variation is bad. My point always was, you get sold short in his deceptive variation.

It has things I like, and Im not sure people even realise it, but his Regular invisibility takes no damage from a single hit, making it easier to start zoning because you can take a trade risk free, but it takes forever to even start up, and almost impossible to get raw outside of a combo.

His MB version has armour on start up, and still takes a hit. But at that, you are still sold short, as you come out of it right away on block.

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
Wait...what?
What's bad about stackable damage from sword stab bleedouts and caltrops? All you got to do is pin them down with Sand grenades or his high low game after a knockdown so they stay on the pain longer. He adds up damage fast doing that and he has a tool for just about any scenario. You just can't go nuts with him but he is definitely a character who can mess up people's day.
I thought it would be his worst variation because in my mind, his strengths would be as a zoning gunslinger (which is what NRS kind of billed him as). But after seeing how Sonic Fox used him in the Fatal 8, I realized the potential.

Worse than expected:
Mileena, ethereal.
Kitana, mournful.
Johnny Cage, all
Shinnok, necromancer

Better than expected:
Jacqui, Full Auto
Ferra/Torr, all
Sub Zero, grandmaster
Kano, cutthroat and cybernetic

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
I thought summoner quan chi would suck... Enough said about how wrong I was.
I actually thought the same thing. And I thought Kano's Cybernetic would be much better than it is. His anti-air laser is ok, but his playstyle doesn't really require you to be full screen that much though.

Deceptive Reptile has a better projectile war game than any of the other variations, because of stealth's properties (no damage taken when hit out of stealth, EX has armor on startup). Also, Deceptive has the absolute best rushdown game of the three due to EX stealth making it practically impossible to tell what Reptile is doing. It's got the weakest damage game, though.
You seldom need to tell what reptile is doing while invisible if you can knock him out of invisibility with one hit. Plus, just Ex Nimble and jump over projectiles/start pressuring way faster than while invisible.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You seldom need to tell what reptile is doing while invisible if you can knock him out of invisibility with one hit. Plus, just Ex Nimble and jump over projectiles/start pressuring way faster than while invisible.
Reptile can stagger a lot of his strings on block, though. While he's not fast, he also lacks actual gaps in strings, and the audio cues aren't always easy to figure out. And he can weave in and out, and it's hard to tell exactly where he's at. Nimble leaves you able to see him, so these factors sort of fly out the window.

That's what makes invisibility powerful. Lack of vision is a huge deal, especially when audio cues don't help you anymore.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I was expecting Master of Storms Raiden and Dualist Liu Kang to be better. Same problem with both characters; really tough to reliably set traps. I'm sure that if I worked at it more I can figure out better ways to set up, but as of now, it seems like novelty.

D

Deleted member 9158

I was fully prepared for quan chi to be ass again.

Warlock quan all the way

I was all in on Warlock but Summoner just poops all over everything it does imo.

I was worried Sorcerer wouldn't be as good as I hoped but the chip damage spell with meter is godlike.

Rune trap is BACK! Rune trap LIVES!

Rude

Reptile can stagger a lot of his strings on block, though. While he's not fast, he also lacks actual gaps in strings, and the audio cues aren't always easy to figure out. And he can weave in and out, and it's hard to tell exactly where he's at. Nimble leaves you able to see him, so these factors sort of fly out the window.

That's what makes invisibility powerful. Lack of vision is a huge deal, especially when audio cues don't help you anymore.
If they start doing shit to hit you out, you can block and punish. Or use your elbow dash.

I don't get the Deception hate, how hard is it to understand why it is good?

Rude

I didn't say his Variation is bad. My point always was, you get sold short in his deceptive variation.

It has things I like, and Im not sure people even realise it, but his Regular invisibility takes no damage from a single hit, making it easier to start zoning because you can take a trade risk free, but it takes forever to even start up, and almost impossible to get raw outside of a combo.

His MB version has armour on start up, and still takes a hit. But at that, you are still sold short, as you come out of it right away on block.
You made a whole thread calling Deceptive a gimmick and stating that his variations looked weak. You were calling
for developer fixes to his variations.

And no, you're not sold short at all. With deceptive, you have a free tool that you can set up and use for hella baits, whiff punishing, etc.

I'm sorry that your free, meterless full invisibility might require a little set up. If it were faster for full invis, it would be ridiculous.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Ferra/Torr in General is way better than I expected. Kung Jin was obviously the big surprise didn't expect him to be so ridiculous.

Takeda is not the stupid OP monster the breakdown had led me to believe and just like with Zatanna I will have to hold that.

All Kitana variations ended up being worse than I thought... Poor Kitana! :(
I know... :( sad days for the princess, I still manage to take a king of the hill room for myself with her till I got to leave, day after day, today i managed to get 37 wins in a row till I had to leave, shes not supposed to open ppl up,as a defensive char shes really good, but I do agree shes mid low tier.

WATCHD0G

Noob
I thought i was gonna go all Yondaime Hokage on some people's asses (Ethereal). But who knows, someone might find some good shit with her.

Remember guys we are just on week 3 i think......we still don't have everything down.

the dream might still be alive.