What's new

What Variations Ended Up Being Better/Worse Than You Thought They Would Be?

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
So we all have Mortal Kombat X now, and I'm sure a good majority of us saw a trailer/pre-release breakdown of a specific character and either thought "Damn, that variation looks super good, I'm maining him/her in that variation..." or "That one looks useless, I'm never picking that."

In my opinion, I thought that Raiden's "Thunder God" and Erron Black's "Outlaw" variations would be the weakest out of those characters' choices... But they both seem pretty strong, and Thunder God may even be Raiden's best variation. What do you think? What variations did you think would be terrible ended up being good, and which ones you thought would be good ended up being ass?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Each character just has one that is easier to use compared to the rest of the vars of this same chars, otherwise i don't think var X or Y is better or worse, is totally playstyle dependent.

Everyone was aiming to play Ninjutsu scorpion due the remembrance of MK9 scorpion now every single scorpion player plays Inferno, its not because it caters MK9 better, is just easier to use in comparision to hellfire, since Ninjutsu is straight forward to ranged battles.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Same thing is happening to each character in this game, Thunder God raiden now, Displacer and Master of Storms are too technical, but we will get there.

Hollywood cassie is Footsies, while Spec-Ops is more setup heavy. etc etc.

Personally (although i kinda suck with him) i really rate raidens displacer. Granted it doesnt offer the same amount of damage combos with easier inputs like thunder god, or the interesting options the other one offers with the electric traps, displacer just reks people using big strings out of memory. Played a liu kang the other day and thought id try to take him on with raiden for a challenge (as i never play raiden so cannot punish as i would normally with a familiar)

EVERY TIME he went for strings or fly kicks or any projectiles BAM, i was behind him getting easy pop ups and small juggles.

Im not the best at these big ass combos and all the fancy crap, i am however well into my mind games and winning. two things raiden excels at in displacer, not to mention the inside you brutality is probably one of my favourite and requires you to teleport around like a nutcase to achieve.

needless to say the guy raged the rematch spam so hard when i won like a d'bag that i left him hanging and quit like a troll XD

on the flip side having reptile as my go to for mk9 i have struggled with all variations of reptile to be nearly as effective. noxious seems to be the nice easy route in terms of pop the noxious get some free damage in the close quarters trading but for me pulling of the nimble basilisk in combo then following it up is something i struggle with and as for deceptive well i just think invisibility as a variation exclusive (although made sense regarding the variations setup) was odd. reptile is known for invis in all games that i can remember and to have that ability only in one variation was just like i dunno. on top of that the fact his variation specific specials are all cancelled by getting hit just makes me mad, when i look at the differences other characters get in terms of specials and combos per variation im like HOW has reptile got ONE BLOODY thing per variation like WHYYYYYYYY lol. granted i think i just suck a bit with him a bit this time round but yeh i just feel as much as i love him lots of other characters have far better options in general and per variation.

rant done

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Cassie's variations turned out how I thought they would, with Brawler being the least appealing and Hollywood being the most stylish. Spec Ops is neither here nor there for me. I'll wait until someone masters it before I write it off.

Deceptive Reptile. Chris G kicked some ass with it.
This springs to mind immediately. From reading the forum, you'd think Nimble was his only variation.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Cassie Cage (Hollywood) ended up being very strong. The standing reset she has are really strong. I wanted to play brawler, but I really think that hollywood is so much stronger.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Ermac's Mystic Variation.

Let me summarize how it was made. And for the record I'm salt free. Just feel like adding to this thread. maybe get a few laughs.

"Hey, let us make a variation for Ermac where he plays like he does in MK9 which is a zoner. It will be his zoning variation, but let's make his major and ONLY tool for zoning/space control unsafe on block by 25 frames so everyone and their mothers can punish from mid-max range of it's hurtbox."

:confused:

I seriously don't know why anybody doubted Sonya's Covert Ops variation. In my opinion it's by far her best variation. The amount of stuff she gains in comparison to her other variations is crazy.

I ended up being pleasantly surprised by Scorpion's Inferno variation. All of the pre-launch footage until F8 made it seem like it wouldn't be that great and Ninjitsu would be his best, at least to me.

Also, Shirai Ryu Takeda impressed me a lot, but his others fall flat for me.. which is sad.

Juffalo

Noob
I thought Shirai Ryu Takeda was going to be S tier, the character looked so complete in the kombat kast.

No one predicted Bojutsu Kung would be this good, but I think thunder god Raiden has to take the cake for most downplayed variation pre release, everyone was predicting it would be strictly worse than displacer and MoS and now it's his most popular variation.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I thought Shirai Ryu Takeda was going to be S tier, the character looked so complete in the kombat kast.

No one predicted Bojutsu Kung would be this good, but I think thunder god Raiden has to take the cake for most downplayed variation pre release, everyone was predicting it would be strictly worse than displacer and MoS and now it's his most popular variation.
The game has 2 weeks, thunder god is just easier to use, with time people will master displacer and find its uses.

Displacer is based entirely in mobility, that is why teleporting back and away, drains 50% stamina, besides he can instantly recover or delay the teleport with meter to throw off counter timing, which give him the ability to use links out of Enhanced teleports to continue comboing characters once they're grounded.

Displacer favors smart play and is an amazing counter-zoning variation, i've been playing around with it for a while, and i think i will pick it up as my next in learn characters to master, now i'm on Scorpion, Kenshi and Cassie. Raiden is next to learn.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Kitana mounrful. I was so hyped to play her prelease. But it is literally the laziest variation made. She doesn't gain a single kombo string utilizing her staff.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Vicious Ferra Torr is reaaalllly good. But no one knows that because they arent a side pocket top tier anyone that plays fighting games can play they require you to actually know the character. In the right hands though this character can be a nightmare

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Shinnok as a whole is way worse than I thought he'd be. Miles, and miles, and miles worse. Displacer Raiden too.

As for what turned out better? Kinda wasn't expecting Quan Chi to be good... Full-Auto Jacqui was surprising as well.

Ermac's Mystic Variation.

Let me summarize how it was made. And for the record I'm salt free. Just feel like adding to this thread. maybe get a few laughs.

"Hey, let us make a variation for Ermac where he plays like he does in MK9 which is a zoner. It will be his zoning variation, but let's make his major and ONLY tool for zoning/space control unsafe on block by 25 frames so everyone and their mothers can punish from mid-max range of it's hurtbox."

:confused:
Raiden displacer says hi. NRS- "It will be his teleport variation. We will make this entire variation revolve around having this teleport and nothing else. Now let's make the recovery 29 frames so you get punished no matter how you use it."