What's new

What do YOU think defines a high level player at UMK3/MKT?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Sektor can relaunch Kung Lao pretty easily I think, so it's always best to block the spin and go for it!

S

SuGaR

I think I've come to my own personal definition of a high level player. I believe it's win-abilty, or your ability to win. When it comes down to the third round, and you're close to say, ten percent in your life bar, can you come back and smash that fucker you're playing?

Simply put, can you win against people who have won against you? How much can you win by compared to last time? Can you win against people who smash you and learn?

Get your swagg on.

EDIT: Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, I'm really really high right now, lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol ^ dude, do you play high or sober MK I mean? I can never play drunk or on something lol, but some people are said to play better depending on the game when stoned or drunk lol.

Konqrr said:
Sektor can relaunch Kung Lao pretty easily I think, so it's always best to block the spin and go for it!
Yeah, I've gone for that occassional with relaunch but I don't like doing that online with lag and all lol. If I miss and they block it I get mad lol. I'll occassionaly do it with Kabal vs. the robots and NW but rarely.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Even if the relaunch gets blocked, you're right there in their face where you want to be anyways. Win-win situation.

S

SuGaR

MKF30 said:
lol ^ dude, do you play high or sober MK I mean? I can never play drunk or on something lol, but some people are said to play better depending on the game when stoned or drunk lol.
I play high pretty often. I play a lot worse when I'm high but since I'm much better than the majority of people who play this game, I look at it as giving them an edge. Plus I don't get mad when I'm high.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Derek said:
I play high pretty often. I play a lot worse when I'm high but since I'm much better than the majority of people who play this game, I look at it as giving them an edge. Plus I don't get mad when I'm high.
You're pretty much the new mistaKM. lol

S

SuGaR

Dreamcatcher said:
You're pretty much the new mistaKM. lol
MistaKM is bad, I'm not. Please, don't ever compare me to that bum, ever.

AC1984

Kaballin!
I think that Sugar is right about the ability to come back and dominate. This along with many other things will always keep me to the mid average level of playing the game. My offline tournament experience showed me that it is very very difficult to put my shit together and get back on my game, especially when I have 10% of my energy left and 60-70 people screaming behind me. I think that high level player is not only the one with great knowledge and skills, but also the one who applies those in crucial moments. Also a high level is the one with tons of experience and the one who have seen or dealt with almost every scenario in the game.

Tim Static

Adminerator
High level is in the mind. The elite players perform at a elite level no matter what is happening, what is on the line or where your playing.

there is a difference, a BIG one, between being high level and being an elite player.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Haha shit there's a difference between playing drunk and playing wasted. I know it's sad it's only 8:30pm and I'm wasted but I want to play some MK.

McNasty

Moist.
AC1984 said:
Also a high level is the one with tons of experience and the one who have seen or dealt with almost every scenario in the game.
This^ + nerves of steel and fingers of fury= win

Anyone else see the corner jab infinite as cheap? You know I never label anyone's play or anything cheap, but it just seems really OP if you get someone in the corner. Don't get me wrong, I use this as much as I can, but it just seems really lame even when I do it. It's not hard to do once you get the timing down, plus if you mess up you will just block or you can go in for a kick starter combo.

ScheissNussen said:
I already said it should be banned but nobody agrees aside from maybe Konqrr. They will when it starts being done in every tournament. Jab glitches/infs are really hard to ban though. At what point does corner jab lockdown turn into an inf? 6 jabs? 8? Too hard to really put a rule on paper. I always use around 6jabs and I would consider around 3 sets to be the beginning of an inf.

You'd basically have to eyeball it and that could cause conflict.

Look at it this way. You can't think of it as a consecutive series of jabs, it only takes one jab to start it --> so when it starts being used by everyone basically it is a 1 jab death punch.

It's like getting a free Lao spin in the corner while the opponent is block/standing for every character. 99% damage vs 0% damage can come back and thats bs imo.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, seems pretty bull shit to me. It would be hard to ban though like you said. I hate getting hit by kung lao's infinite, but that is avoidable. If you're in the corner, there's almost nothing you can do that's safe to get out. And when you get put in the cji (corner jab infinite) you just have to hope the opponent messes up.

If there was some way it could be banned I would agree to the ban.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Well here are a couple of things I would never ever do in a tournament or a casual match.

1. Corner jabs infinite
2. Spin,JK,Spin,JK etc. with Kung lao in the corner...I would always go for the reverse or some other cool variation if possible ( some people might disagree with me and say "play to win" but I still wont do it)
3. Glitch jab technique with kabal ( imo the lamest thing ever)
4. double freeze with USub ( Every time when somebody freezes him self, I would just go and duck kick him to resume the fight)

Dark_Rob

Noob
AC1984 said:
Well here are a couple of things I would never ever do in a tournament or a casual match.

1. Corner jabs infinite
2. Spin,JK,Spin,JK etc. with Kung lao in the corner...I would always go for the reverse or some other cool variation if possible ( some people might disagree with me and say "play to win" but I still wont do it)
3. Glitch jab technique with kabal ( imo the lamest thing ever)
4. double freeze with USub ( Every time when somebody freezes him self, I would just go and duck kick him to resume the fight)
While I agree those things are totally lame, let me ask you this, if you were in the grand finals of a tournament and you were only a corner jab infinite away from winning the whole thing and you knew you could finish it that way wouldnt you do it? I would hope so because if it was me I would do it to you. A win is a win, and if it isnt banned I would go for it.

X820

Noob
Dark_Rob said:
While I agree those things are totally lame, let me ask you this, if you were in the grand finals of a tournament and you were only a corner jab infinite away from winning the whole thing and you knew you could finish it that way wouldnt you do it? I would hope so because if it was me I would do it to you. A win is a win, and if it isnt banned I would go for it.
Very true, yet some people just don't want to win beeing a douche, that's also defines a high level player imo, character (he wouldnt need to win that way either).

Personally I'd rather loose a final beeing kung lao and messing up the reverse dive kick then to win by doing a JK-spin-JK-spin in the corner, you can do that shit blindfolded.

Dark_Rob said:
Of course I would do it. The point I was making is that I think it should be banned or something similar. Just don't know how that would be possible.

ScheissNussen said:
I'd do it just so it would get banned.
Right.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Doesn't need to be banned or whatever...just close your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist in the game and there ya go...the best MK game ever.

P.S. I was playing VS Shock for a winners final at Winter Brawl last February....He was Sub Zero and I was Sindel...He froze him self and I let him get away just because i think its lame to get such a shitty freebie. On the video i heard that people behind me were like " wtf...why would he let him go like that." Anyway...No matter what the situation is i prefer to give my best and present a beautiful game rather than get advantage of the lame broken bugs in the game.

Peace.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
How about the Nightwolf corner infinite?

I'm not going to be a smartass and post a bunch of different scenarios, but what's your opinion on this ridiculously easy infinite if you consider the corner jab infinite ban-worthy?