What's new

Question What do you guys think of the Venom mechanics?

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Just wanna get some discussion going on from us Bane players and people who fight Bane often.

what are your guys honest opinion about the venom Buff/Weakness when it gets activated and fades away?

personally i love it's uses, the armour obviously makes getting in alot easier, and makes the command throw great on their wakeup even if they wakeup attempting to beat the hard knockdown trap, and of course using the charge against certain projectiles, the damage increase is ridiculous, turning BNB's into the 50%+ regions from super easy hitconfirms into venom. and i feel the effects of how long each stack lasts (about 6 seconds) is a generous amount of time to use the buffs it gives you.

it also feels like the venom weakness after is a HUGE thing in banes gameplay, does anyone know how much more damage you actually take when the weakness is active?

all in all it feels very fair to me, but in my honest opinion i do wish the buff effects were paused during clashes, considering you get about 6 seconds, no matter when you clash you're guaranteed to lose it, which i'm not sure i agree with. do you guys think it's good for the venom to run out mid clash or do you also feel it should pause till the clash is finished?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
The Venom needs to pause during clash and after rounds. I hate going to take out the first life bar and then being vulnerable for the first part of the second one.

I think the level three weakness is excessive, Bane shouldn't be slowed down and I really don't think he should take as much damage(like 50% more)

I'm about to write up a guide for his pressure, stay tuned ;)

If the buff can run out during clash, can the debuff also run out? I've noticed the former, but never really paid attention to the latter.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
If the buff can run out during clash, can the debuff also run out? I've noticed the former, but never really paid attention to the latter.
Yes, it can. It does the same if you end a round during the de-buff too.

Yes, it can. It does the same if you end a round during the de-buff too.
Well, that kind of balances it out then. I'm sure good players will get good with timing it so it runs out just as they are about to end a round for 36 seconds of venom (if each stage is 6 seconds).

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
The Venom needs to pause during clash and after rounds. I hate going to take out the first life bar and then being vulnerable for the first part of the second one.

I think the level three weakness is excessive, Bane shouldn't be slowed down and I really don't think he should take as much damage(like 50% more)

I'm about to write up a guide for his pressure, stay tuned ;)
we need to find out how long the level 3 weakness lasts, seems to last longer than the buff for sure. I'm not sure if it's people not blowing me up, but bane's high/low game seems really strong right now, f2d/b1 is nasty right now :D

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Well, that kind of balances it out then. I'm sure good players will get good with timing it so it runs out just as they are about to end a round for 36 seconds of venom (if each stage is 6 seconds).
18* you get three stages of it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
we need to find out how long the level 3 weakness lasts, seems to last longer than the buff for sure. I'm not sure if it's people not blowing me up, but bane's high/low game seems really strong right now, f2d/b1 is nasty right now :D
I think it was like 9 seconds lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Venom mechanic is amazing. I love it in tandem with Bane's wakeup game.

Reactions: RYX

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I think his damage de-buff after Venom is fine, I don't think he should take more damage though.

Although, I was pretty amazed when I hit a level 3 de-buffed Bane with Grundy's 2nd tier damage buffed Super and did 61% to kill him :D

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I think the venom mechanic is too weak and is what will keep Bane low tier indefinately. Level 2 and 3 just doesn't cut it given the risks it gives. Not that NRS would ever listen to me... but...

The projectile invincibility should be at level 2, not 3. Level 3 should give 2 hits of armor to specials. Venom should also make his super projectile/strike invincible at level 1/2 and give an additional (damage or speed) bonus at level 3.

I'll still play him. My days of ever making it to the winner's circle is long gone. But no top player in his right mind would ever pick Bane so long as Venom benefits are so low given his high reliance on it to compensate for his poor damage and move properties.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I personally disagree and I feel Bane is a top contender at the moment what with how the wake-up game in Injustice tends to be. A few good reads and frankly, the juice pays for itself. Thats not to mention that going to level 2 has its uses, being the better damage of 1 with the lesser debuff of 3. His attacks and animations take up a decent amount of time, meaning if you sink a good guess on the opponent's wake up you can score anywhere from 2 to 6 seconds off of your refill. Clash really helps us too, since it basically all but erases our level 3 debuff. Worst come to, we always have pushblock and before long we will have juice again.

I don't mind the debuff too much, but only because I find him to have some unique tools at his disposal. Him slowing down is a bit eh, but even level 3 debuff bane can outrun grundy super. I also don't find his damage or move properties too poor, he has tons of wall-carry and mix-up potential with both linking into one another. Once the enemy is in the corner, you can have your way and they will be pretty helpless. At level 3 we get more or less a free parry, we have probably the best AA in the game in level 1 venom upper, and for a 5% damage buff with armor on all specials we take what... 2% increased damage for 2 seconds and we move 2% slower? His MUs are mostly good or even since he has some decent answers and in the few he doesn't have them, he is a bigger problem than the opponent is. He runs over a lot of high tiered people, some character like Raven have literally no answer to his Juice box. He becomes projectile immune, and in exchange he takes some... I wanna say 33% increased damage (I find its about 11% per level) for some 7 seconds, and if you time it right you can eliminate about 3 seconds off of that by nailing the MB command grab as its running out. 4 seconds of 33% in exchange for being projectile immune, getting a parry and armor on one of our best tools, and turning every small combo into more or less 40-50% snags for 6 seconds straight. Taking into account the end of the round taking about 2 or 3 seconds of time off of it, clash outright curing it (with staple damage iirc), and other factors like environmentals, I don't really see it as being that much of a downside. Hell, when/if I hit my 2nd bar of life, I go straight for level 3 and start rolling them then just clash clean myself and refill my juice box when I'm done. If I do it right, thats about 45% off of the opponent, if not more... And then I can clash if I need to and heal off any damage I might've gotten, go back in and finish the job.

Bane does something a lot of character don't, being he forces the opponent to think and operate outside of their comfort zone. Everything they do is in relation to what you "can" do, and they are forced to respect all of your options. With the total juice time reaching an area of about 20 or 21 seconds staggering from 1 to 3, you can literally kill an opponent before they even get off the ground. His backdash and forward dash are amazing imo, and his height makes him suprisingly hard to get over if they are going for low cross-ups. Jump-back 2 actually beats out a lot of air approaches because of how his boot is positioned. His d.2 is no killer frost, but its range is so deceptive that it makes for a solid ground poke. I kid you not, go into the lab and look at how far away it hits, and you can get a decent damage follow-up out of a raw d.2 as well.

The thing is without juice, yeah his damage is kinda butt. He isn't made to be played without juice though, and his level 1 venom combos are in the area of 30% or so. He also isn't made to be a combo character, he is made to use his armor and huge reach to keep the opponent locked down. You can slide out more or less 25% or so combos if done properly for no meter at level 1, and after 2 or 3 of those the opponent will find it hard to even out. Assuming you land that wake-up f.2d, you can cancel it into his backbreaker for 24% no meter at level 1. Land that b.23? Follow up with your friendly neighborhood 123 backbreaker for 32% without meter at level 1. That by itself is almost 60% off of only 2 mix ups, no meter, with the availability of armored attacks to stuff any other means of attack from the opponent. Backbreaker alone does 18% at level 1 meterless, and thats an armored grab against their wake-up. Ring toss is a free 13% armored anti-air if you feel they may try to jump out of your command grabs, and its range is monsterous. Then theres the sheer amount of wall carry at your disposal. b.23 113 b.f.2(MB) carries them about half the distance of the batcave in one move and does 30 % to boot at level 1. Did I mention this combo takes enough time to cover the entirety of level 2 refill? Lets say you just got your opponent into the corner and, oh no... level 3 wore off! If you happen to luck upon that b.23, you can do b.23 d.2 1 123 b.d.2(MB) into the grab set-up in the corner and it'll last the entire duration of the cooldown. Won't do much for damage, but if you sink it then by all means get that free refill on your juice box.

Theres so much more to say about him too, but for now thats all I'll let onto. I feel he is a lot stronger than people want to believe, and its all in controlling the pace of the match. If you can keep it to a pace your opponent can't respond well to, you've got yourself a free win.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
he DEFINITELY feels like a heavy momentum based character, when he's juiced and is on the offensive, he feels incredibly powerful, not to mention as venom runs out f2d3 is amazing for taking time off the debuff as it gives you a fullscreen hard knockdown.

i only just realised today that level 3 venom gives specials and f2 complete projectile invulnerability, this is huge.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
The only thing that really ticks me off about the venom getting so many negative effects, is GL, Shazam, Superman, Killer Frost, (idk who else I'm forgetting), get boosts without any negative effects. Granted, I don't believe any other characters get as many advantages from their boosts but still.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Theres a difference they they only get their effects for about... maybe 8 seconds at the most. We get ours for 21 and it provides much much much more benefit. The drawbacks are kinda lame, but its still potent.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Theres a difference they they only get their effects for about... maybe 8 seconds at the most. We get ours for 21 and it provides much much much more benefit. The drawbacks are kinda lame, but its still potent.
That's 21 seconds IF you perfectly level up. Ideally, you will have it for 20 seconds. I've already made my case why venom is flawed. Level 2 is too weak. You're pretty much always going level 1 or 3 unless momentum is on your side. And when you get to 2, the risk isn't really worth the little bit of extra damage. And if you cannot gradually level up, then the trait becomes inferior to other character traits. I'm just stating what I think needs to be adressed in future patches.

Remember that because cinematics force traits to cooldown, you can be at level 3 and they just clash and now you're stuck with level 3 cooldown. I'm fine with that if venom were stronger.

It seems like the consensus so far is that level 1 is the best, level 2 is lacking on sufficient bonuses (my opinion), and level 3 has too high a penalty (since everyone wants to avoid it).

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
i only just realised today that level 3 venom gives specials and f2 complete projectile invulnerability, this is huge.
Tell me you're joking. That's the 'buff' I was gonna suggest they add to Bane... I feel mighty foolish -_-

I'm having little to no success with Bane *sigh*
I play so much better with BAdam, makes it hard to keep slugging away, fighting venom sickness constantly

i didn't know that venom made bane weaker when its on cool down. remember that episode of Batman Beyond when they visited Bane in the hospital and he was like a raisin? talk about accuracy eh
I'll remember to use level 1 venom more often for the greatly reduced cool down time. thanx thread heros

I think his venom trait needs some minor tweaks/improvement. Here are some things I don't like about it and why:

It runs out during animations and during the resetting of a round(Clash, Level Transitions, Being Supered etc)
I don't like that during an ended round resetting my venom runs out, it is unfair IMO. Supposing I made really good reads and was punishing my opponent hard, I feel that while the round is resetting, I shouldn't be punished for my efforts by having my juice run out and making me vulnerable, especially if I took the risk of going to level 3 and it paid off. This gives the opponent the upperhand at the beginning of the next round, and if they are zoners with good range and multi hitting projectiles even more. You will start debuffed and will have to be extra careful since you take more damage and chip and lose alot of mobility.. This ruins the momentum you had going in the previous round and rewards the other player and punishes you. I feel that it should stay where it's at during the round ending animation. The same could be said for stage transitions etc. If you have venom and are trying to start offence and by any chance you get hit with a super or w/e and cannot buffer another venom dose because of the animation the other character gets alot of free xtra damage and can wreck you for free.

I also dont like the severe debuff/penalty of going to level 3. It may give a big boost in damage but remember it runs out quite fast. Not only is your mobility affected you take a huge chunk of extra damage from the opposing character and you can barely dish out past 12% of damage. The opponent will abuse this fact if they know you went to level 3 and destroy you while you're in turtle mode. We're talking about a character that doesn't even have projectiles to begin with in a game that favors zoning and characters have ridiculous projectiles that can cover the entire screen. And yes he may get 3 hits of armor for level 3 but remember, you still take damage while you armor through peoples stuff. The only upside I see to it is the buff in damage but the risk is too high for the reward. So that leaves us stuck using level 2 or 1 most of the time which aren't as effective. I don't know how they could rebalance it or tweak it but at the moment I find his trait flawed. essentially i think Doomsday can do what Bane does but even better.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
That's 21 seconds IF you perfectly level up. Ideally, you will have it for 20 seconds. I've already made my case why venom is flawed. Level 2 is too weak. You're pretty much always going level 1 or 3 unless momentum is on your side. And when you get to 2, the risk isn't really worth the little bit of extra damage. And if you cannot gradually level up, then the trait becomes inferior to other character traits. I'm just stating what I think needs to be adressed in future patches.

Remember that because cinematics force traits to cooldown, you can be at level 3 and they just clash and now you're stuck with level 3 cooldown. I'm fine with that if venom were stronger.

It seems like the consensus so far is that level 1 is the best, level 2 is lacking on sufficient bonuses (my opinion), and level 3 has too high a penalty (since everyone wants to avoid it).
Level 2 honestly isn't that bad, it provides only 25% less than the level 3 and takes about 30% less overall debuffing for 3 seconds less of a cooldown. Its still ample damage, and you can mid-screen stall off of a read to get your cooldowns off.

Personally, and once again might just be me, but if you hit level 3 and they clash, its not like you don't have the same option of clashing to remove your cooldown. Its a give an take, you might lose one dose of level 3, but you also have the opprotunity to run 2 doses of level 3 back to back. When you are dealing in the area of 50-60% with one correct read of level 3, the match could be over before you know it. Likewise, the clash damage and healing are staple, being they aren't affected by venom cooldown. Level 3 venom cooldowned 3 bar clash does 30% no matter what. Mighty helpful imo.

In my honest opinion, I feel people act the wrong way when venom is on cooldown. Standing back and letting your opponent come to you with those damaging combos is NOT the correct way to do things, and I'll go on record to say this. You have much more chance of surviving if you stay on them. You lose your armored options so, of course, you have to be more careful. However, with those grab set-ups and the huge amount of time you can stall using combo boosters like MB double punch and MB command grab, you are more likely to prevent more damage from being dealt to you over trying to keep a distance against people whom you need to stay close to. You having such reduced mobility will end up hampering your ability to fend them off, so cutting 7 seconds off of their time to take advantage and off of your disadvantage for landing a b.23 midscreen, or all of it landing a b.23 at the corner of the screen is worth it.

In my opinion, since I don't judge on whats "best" for a player (differing styles), I'd say level 1 is getting in, level 2 is getting damage, level 3 is getting kills. 125% is hefty damage and the cooldown and duration are sufficent to fit your needs. You'll be dishing out more or less 40% combos using level 2, which is more than enough. Level 1 gives you that armor, and level 3 is just when you know you have the option to end things out or clash to refill the juice box.

I think his venom trait needs some minor tweaks/improvement. Here are some things I don't like about it and why:

It runs out during animations and during the resetting of a round(Clash, Level Transitions, Being Supered etc)
I don't like that during an ended round resetting my venom runs out, it is unfair IMO. Supposing I made really good reads and was punishing my opponent hard, I feel that while the round is resetting, I shouldn't be punished for my efforts by having my juice run out and making me vulnerable, especially if I took the risk of going to level 3 and it paid off. This gives the opponent the upperhand at the beginning of the next round, and if they are zoners with good range and multi hitting projectiles even more. You will start debuffed and will have to be extra careful since you take more damage and chip and lose alot of mobility.. This ruins the momentum you had going in the previous round and rewards the other player and punishes you. I feel that it should stay where it's at during the round ending animation. The same could be said for stage transitions etc. If you have venom and are trying to start offence and by any chance you get hit with a super or w/e and cannot buffer another venom dose because of the animation the other character gets alot of free xtra damage and can wreck you for free.

I also dont like the severe debuff/penalty of going to level 3. It may give a big boost in damage but remember it runs out quite fast. Not only is your mobility affected you take a huge chunk of extra damage from the opposing character and you can barely dish out past 12% of damage. The opponent will abuse this fact if they know you went to level 3 and destroy you while you're in turtle mode. We're talking about a character that doesn't even have projectiles to begin with in a game that favors zoning and characters have ridiculous projectiles that can cover the entire screen. And yes he may get 3 hits of armor for level 3 but remember, you still take damage while you armor through peoples stuff. The only upside I see to it is the buff in damage but the risk is too high for the reward. So that leaves us stuck using level 2 or 1 most of the time which aren't as effective. I don't know how they could rebalance it or tweak it but at the moment I find his trait flawed. essentially i think Doomsday can do what Bane does but even better.
As said, you can use these to erase your cooldown as well. Its not always a one-sided street, you do have options too.
At the end of round 1, if you popped level 3 to bump off their grey and don't have a clash at your disposal imo you are being wasteful. Its not a risk/reward type system, its a pay-to-play system. You decide to offer up level 3 knowing the risks instead of using something like level 2 and just making that one more read, and with no clash cleanse thats a matter of whats called "instant gratification." Instead of wanting to chance getting that read, you decide to just max out and go for broke. In poker, blackjack, and the like, you are always better off keeping some chips off the table both for the sake of yourself and the opponent. Going all in shows either overconfidence to which the opponent can fold, or despiration which the opponent can take advantage of, where as saving some chips tells the enemy a lot less and gives you a back-up plan should your hand not succeed. How much are you willing to pay in the long run to make that play now?

To be completely fair, and it may just be character bias, but Bane without that massive debuff would be a sight overpowered. At level 3, for 6 or 7 seconds, we have damage output higher than anyone else in the game from anywhere on the screen, armor on all of our supers, projectile immunity (which means no, you don't "take damage while you armor through people's stuff" if that stuff is projectile based.), and above that we are nearly meter independent with the option to instantly clear that debuff and go back into that mode. That mode exists literally for hardballing the opponent, its not a damage form so much as an ender form. I mean we do damage equal to some characters supers without even having to burn meter, its a fair trade-off that if you are using that kind of power recklessly that you take the bite from it. The mobility debuff I can agree is a bit excessive, but the rest of it is fine. Its very relatable to the character itself, as careless misuse and dependance on that huge amount of venom ends up becoming Bane's downfall in more than one occation.

Level 1 and Level 2 are fine in that they serve their purpose, being 1 giving you armor to stay in and 2 giving you a fair amount of damage and an easily managable cooldown. Too many people are comparing 2 to 3 as though they serve the same purpose, and they really don't. Level 3 isn't made to do combo damage, its made to end games. Level 2 is made to work into combos, since the debuff is much much much less than level 3 will force you to endure. I find his trait to be pretty good, though as I said the mobility debuff is a bit much.

Still, for the meter independance he brings and the amount of people who can't wake-up against him, I don't think theres really much reason to gripe about his trait. Now if we could get something like say a properly working super that doesn't randomly trade with people who so much as break wind when we go for them, that would be a good deal. But his juice box is fine, people just need to learn to manage it better and not treat it like a problem solver. Also Doomsday does our job even worse, since he doesnt have access to super armor on all of his specials, reliable high/low mix-ups, or an unblockable super. His trait isn't all that great, his super isn't that great...

We grab through Lex luthor's maxed out trait armor, which is supposed to be incapable of being hoisted. We grab through just about everything, honestly. And projectile immune at level 3? We get the one-up on the entire cast who get shut out of our supers via deathstroke machine guns.

Fair enough, I guess we can both agree that the mobility debuff is excessive after level 3. What would you suggest would be more balanced? I personally think he should either (A: Not lose mobility but take the extra damage he currently takes) or (B: Lose mobility but take a lot less damage than what he currently takes)

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Not sure if its been mentioned at all on the Bane forums, but when he's at Level 3 he breaks all armor. Haven't tested it with all Supers, but I know for a fact he kills Grundy's instantly and Doomsday/Lex's traits.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Not sure if its been mentioned at all on the Bane forums, but when he's at Level 3 he breaks all armor. Haven't tested it with all Supers, but I know for a fact he kills Grundy's instantly and Doomsday/Lex's traits.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
If thats true, does he break other Bane's level 3 armor as well?