What's new

Match-up Discussion What determines a match-up?

Our community has been exploding with pretty much everyone posting their personal MU charts for their characters. What I want to know is, what do you guys take into consideration when you're determining your MUs?

The biggest factor for me is character tools.
-What tools does Character A have?​
-What tools does Character B have?​
-Will those tools give Character B problems?​
-Will those tools give Character A problems?​
The second factor is character strengths and weaknesses.
-What are Character A's strengths and weaknesses?​
-What are Character B's strengths and weaknesses?​
-Can Character A stop Character B from playing to his strengths?​
-Can Character B stop Character A from playing to his strengths?​
-How easy is it to exploit Character B's weaknesses?​
-How easy is it to exploit Character A's weaknesses?​
The third factor is damage.
-What's Character A's damage output?​
-What's Character B's damage output?​
These are obviously not all the factors into determining a MU, but it's definitely a great start.

Another thing I want to cover is the fact that styles make fights! Just because Character A beats Character B, that does NOT mean that Character A automatically beat Character C.

I would love to see everyone's method to determine a MU.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Just nitpicking here, but I don't think Rep loses to Mileena. I think it's pretty even.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Most Reptile players have that MU 4-6. I've even seen 3-7's out there.
3-7 is a reaaaalllly outdated #, or it was made by players who don't know how to play Mileena. Now that she's thoroughly explored, I would def call it a 5-5.

I agree with the OP also.

Bad examples. Reptile doesnt lose to mileena 6-4 and scorpion might not even lose to reptile 4-6 lol
So are you saying that all 3 characters break even at 5-5?

It's amazing how that's all you seen though.

This is a SERIOUS discussion. If that's all you came to say you can carry on to your troll threads.

NKZero

Noob
Basically everything you said is true. I also factor in different parts of the screen and different elements of the game. These are the main things I go by:

1) Up close battle
2) Zoning/turtling battle
3) Footsie game
4) Corner game
5) Wake-up game
6) Meter management

Espio

Kokomo
How each character's tools clash against each other's tools, really.

The other thing is how a character's game is limited or put in check by another character.

Examples: 5-5 indicates both characters have solid, viable answers to each other's tools, footsies, spacing, rushdown, zoning and other options, they eventually check each other well.

Damage output, speed, punishability, pokes etc.

Hard to explain, but there's so many things to factor into a match up.

Cool thread man :D.

So are you saying that all 3 characters break even at 5-5?

It's amazing how that's all you seen though.

This is a SERIOUS discussion. If that's all you came to say you can carry on to your troll threads.
Troll post? You are posting old numbers when you have no idea what it should be. Just bad examples

How each character's tools clash against each other's tools, really.

The other thing is how a character's game is limited or put in check by another character.

Examples: 5-5 indicates both characters have solid, viable answers to each other's tools, footsies, spacing, rushdown, zoning and other options, they eventually check each other well.

Damage output, speed, punishability, pokes etc.

Hard to explain, but there's so many things to factor into a match up.

Cool thread man :D.
Your always down for serious discussion:D. It's a time and place for trolling.

Anyway, it seems our community has a really hard time determining 5-5 MU's though.