What's new

Guide Welcome to LexCorp - Employee Initiation Handbook

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
Thanks to the Lex community for your support and sharing information. Any additional essential info you would like to add please let me know. Your feedback and corrections are appreciated.

Welcome to LexCorp

Lex character playstyle requires quick reactions and patience. Lex has a mixed bag of normals fast and slow, long and short, and has a pretty decent poking range in a game where great pokes are uncommon. With a truckload of startup on his projectile attacks, Lex can find it hard to launch zoning offence from the neutral position. Lex counter zoning game is strong and features a zoning flowchart of ranged mix ups which are frame traps without instant correct reaction from your opponent. In close range Lex combo starting normals are average speed and continually applying up close pressure will include taking advantage of Lex 6f advancing special Corp Charge which provides a hard knockdown and allows Lex to enter his element. Lex trait is absolutely vital to his game as it allows Lex to absorb 1 hit from the enemy without receiving hitstun and damage. This allows Lex to advance safely through pressure and continue his own.

Lex has a slow walk speed and a floaty jump. He can jump between most projectiles and dash between many others. Lex forward dash speed is good, his back dash has some recovery and can be punished. One must learn to use Lex mobility to full potential, which includes situational use of Corp Charge to cover distance.

Lex plays best ambiguously outside of your opponents max range. From here Lex can punish long startups and whiffs with Corp Charge, or dash out of range of pressure to launch counter zoning and safely retreat with an armoured trait dash cancel. With Lex ranged normals and fast advancing special, it is hard for the enemy to launch offence and react to your own. Lex has a hard time with strong zoning characters and it is here that requires much patience to navigate with Lex sluggish walk and jump speed. Many times in this guide I mention 'safe distance' and this positioning on the perimeter of your opponents max range is what I mean.

Lex can not stay immobile. Lex rolls with the momentum of a knockdown and otherwise Lex must have very good spacing and unreadable movements. Lex has a huge hitbox and poor standard mobility, so Lex must master the dash, trait dash cancel, and know when to safely Corp Charge and Aerial Corp Charge to cover ground, dodge projectiles, be a moving target, and to reverse your opponent controls by Corp Charge over the opponent. This is matchup and opponent dependent. Lex mobility comes with experience and practice. Your match up knowledge and behavioural knowledge of your opponent will determine the means of mobility you choose with Lex. Maintaining lvl 3 Trait armour and always dash cancelling the trait start up is absolutely essential.

+ Good poking range​
+ Fastest advancing special [excluding Superman super attack]​
+ Ranged mix up game with unblockable counter zoning​
+ Great knockdown/mixup game​
= Trait is very good but trivialised by some other character traits. Trait has some flaws.​
= OK normals​
= Average combo damage​
- Slow startup on all zoning, can't initiate zoning against a zoner character without advantage​
- Slow mobility​
- Easily outzoned and this presents some very hard match ups​
- Also out pressured up close by rushdown characters​

Trait Armour
The trait armour is essential to Lex game. Lex wants to be armoured at all times. Trait takes a very long startup period which can be cancelled by holding the trait button and dashing during the animation. The trait armour absorbs one hit without stun, allowing Lex to continue pressure or navigate zoning. Hold the trait button to charge the armour.

Lvl 1 grants 25% INCREASE in damage received, and one free hit absorption without stun
Lvl 2 grants 25% DECREASE in damage received, and one free hit absorption without stun
Lvl 3 grants 0 damage received, and one free hit absorption without stun

Poking Game
d1 - 7 frame startup, hits mid, among longest range d1 in the game, grants full combo > MB grav pull, -1 on block, grants 50/50 overhead low mixup on hit between f2 > MB grav pull and b13 > MB grav pull
standing 3 - 15 frame startup, hits mid, will hit many characters from starting distance, sends opponent full screen to initiate zoning. -1 on block, 34 recovery means it can be whiff punished
d3 - 12 frame startup, hits low, knockdown, great range, will hit from starting distance, can be whiff punished at 26 recovery.
j3 - 13 frame startup, huge range, great jump back anti air, grants combo, is overhead, great to control space.

J3 Corp Charge Pressure
A huge part of Lex game is the super fast, slouch-and-youll-miss-the-recovery Corp Charge. It grants a hard knockdown which opens Lex up to all of his options. From a successful Corp Charge, Lex can armour up, setup zoning or continue pressure. It's important to condition the opponent to respect the Corp Charge. If they don't, they get setup to death. When they start playing cautiously, if you have Lex in his ambiguous sweet spot, Lex can j3 and land with enough advantage to put the opponent in a 50/50 situation that is extremely hard to react to. Opponent must respect Corp Charge after j3 in most situations. When they do, Lex can forward dash and throw. Lex fwd dash is fast and looks similar to Corp Charge, combined with Lex throw range and trait armour, this is a very bad situation for the opponent.

Mine Throw Setup
Throw into mine, tech roll into d1 > Grav Vac MB is a true full combo. If Lex throws a mine behind the opponent, lex can forward throw onto the mine, tech roll, d1 combo. if the mine is behind lex you can reverse throw for the same set up. with no effort at all lex can scoop up 35% from this follow up easily. The opponent should be conditioned to Corp Charge when facing Lex, if you knock the opponent down and throw the mine behind them, they are reluctant to step back because the mine, or forward due to Corp Charge [or armoured offense] - the enemy may wake up attack but if you bait that you have full combo. So with the enemy deciding what to do about the mine right behind them, and worried to attack because of 6f Corp Charge, and worried to wake up because bait and punish or armour, Lex has many options here and among them is throw into mine while the enemy is caught up worried about the trap. Thanks to Benzo for the idea.

Counter Zoning / Zoning
Lex is a counter zoner and has a lot of startup on his zoning attacks. With unblockable projectiles, Lex has some great setups and ranged frame traps which are very hard to react to. Lex has nothing to use his meter on except clash and 1 bar combos. I feel it is essential to Lex zoning game, to not be afraid to go ahead and enhance those zoning special. They are absolutely essential to Lex game and the brutal heart crushing comebacks I have made in round 3 by dumping a heap of meter on zoning mixups is rewarding. I feel this is the best use of Lex meter currently as his combo potential appears to be rather limited.

SF = Startup Frames
RF = Recovery Frames
HA = Hit Advantage
BA = Block Advantage
*All numbers taken from TYM Wiki. Please indicate where frame data is wrong and I will update

Lance Blast - Mid SF-23 RF-66 HA-4 BA-17
Lex only immediate projectile. What does that mean? Lex other projectiles have a delay between the startup and the activation. This is Lex only hadouken or fireball. However at 23 startup it will lose all zoning wars. Lance Blast is very important to Lex zoning game however. It is used when you think the opponent will open themselves, rather than to zone them out. The best use is as a follow up to any other successful ranged attack. At a safe distance it will stuff your opponents wakeup and dash attempts to escape your zoning mix ups. If it stuffs their attempt it will grant another mixup or armour opportunity.

Orbital Strike - ! SF-74 RF-5 HA-51 BA-N/A
Huge startup delay on activation. Unblockable. Grants knockdown. Fast recovery. Full height vertical hitbox. Grants free MB Orbital Strike, Probe, Lance or armour attempts. The attack can be stuffed after the green crosshair appears on the target, and the beam will still fire.

MB Orbital Strike - MidSF-45 RF-21 HA-77 BA-28
Faster startup than Orbital Strike. Because of that, naked attempts are possible if you have some distance or know the opponent will not react. Repels opponent away from Lex. Grants more setup opportunities with Mine, Orbital Strike Probe or Lance. Opponent must wakeup/wakeup dash to avoid the follow up Orbital Strike. If opponent dashes and Lex used Mine, they will dash into Mine. If opponent uses wakeup to avoid Mine/Orbital Strike, the attempt can be stuffed by Lance or Probe.

Probe - Mid SF-109 RF-64 HA-89 BA-20
Has a long delay between startup and activation. If the enemy blocks the Probe, from a safe distance it grants a mixup attempt with MB Orbital Strike, Lance Blast or armour. I also use Probe as a counter zoning tool to allow Lex some freedom. However with Probes start up, Lex must choose his opportunity wisely. Because of the delay between startup and activation, like Orbital Strike, Lex has a lot of advantage after blocked Probe to continue setup attempts. On hit causes a stagger state which can be combo'd from.

MB Probe - Mid SF-96 RF-70 HA-124 BA-22
Faster startup than Probe makes for a better counter zoning tool. Lex must still wait his opportunity. Grants knockdown on hit. Grants free setup or armour attempts on hit and block. A combo opportunity is granted as opponent is knocked down.

Gravity Mine - Low SF-78 RF-197 HA-152 BA-20
Lex can control space with his AOE mine which damages an opponent upon touch and will remain active on the ground for a few seconds. On hit grants full combo. Must be blocked low and so grants very ambiguous overhead/low mixup attempt if placed behind the opponent on wakeup. Lex has this opportunity by following MB Orbital Strike with Mine. Knowing when to use the appropriate distance will depend on your opponent behaviour. Use a mine when you expect the opponent to dash away from your Orbital Strikes, when Lex has hard knockdown, or following some combos. Can be MB on hit, I have found no worthwhile use for this and it appears to be a waste of meter. MB Mine grants popup attempt with increased gravity for less juggle opportunity.

Gravity Pull - Mid SF-21 RF-36 HA-4 BA-42
This is not a zoning tool. Full combo punish on block. Do not throw this attack out like yolo. Mainly used as a combo extender or to punish big whiffs. MB Gravity Pull will extend combos.

LexCorp Kommunity Resources

Lex General Discussion -
http://testyourmight.com/threads/must-i-remind-you-of-my-superiority-lex-luthor-general-discussion-thread.28157/

LexCorp Kommunity Kombo Kompendium & Discussion -
http://testyourmight.com/threads/lex-luthor-combo-thread.30920/

Stage Analysis by whedgehead -
http://testyourmight.com/threads/stage-analysis-for-lex.33757/

Probe and Corner Discussions [@mods I suggest merging these threads please] -
http://testyourmight.com/threads/lex-luthor-corner-lex-probe-mix-ups.34177/
http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-lex-corner-thread.33362/

Orbital Strike vs Wakeup Guide by NKZero -
http://testyourmight.com/threads/testing-luthors-mb-orbital-strike-reset-vs-character-wake-ups.34116/

BDMao88 rev0lver AK Pig Of The Hut Benzo NKZero ETC Mcfly gdf Dapman Nutrient LizardLard Gilbagz GGA pimpimjim @(AGE)NycFab whedgehead Tim Static STORMS

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Great write-up man, although I disagree with one thing.

Gravity Pull - Mid SF-21 RF-36 HA-4 BA-42
This is not a zoning tool. Full combo punish on block. Do not throw this attack out like yolo. Mainly used as a combo extender or to punish big whiffs. MB Gravity Pull will extend combos.

I use this a lot once I condition my opponent to start dashing in when I get my gadgets going. It'll catch them out of their dash and you get a combo

NKZero

Noob
Amazing stuff man thanks. Sorry I didn't get involved in the discussion but should I find anything missing or discover something new I'll be sure to give some input.

whedgehead

My Lex Takes You to Paradise
Great guide dude, hopefully this will get Lex out there! Haven't played in a while but I'm still maining him and always will

The only thing I would say is possibly bold or highlight the portion about being able to cancel trait with a dash as this is an extremely important part of Lex's game and one that isn't apparently obvious to newcomers

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Is there anywhere that has a list of optimal setups? I see so much potential in this character, he might just become my co-main.

miloPKL

Is there anywhere that has a list of optimal setups? I see so much potential in this character, he might just become my co-main.
i have listed his zoning setups in the guide.

check the combo thread i think therein lies his combo ending setups. basically you can end combos with specials being probes or mb orbital strike or mine. i should add a part about this to get people started.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
This is some great job! thanks a lot, it was very useful. I main KF but I want to make Lex my second char

Thanks for the write up. Just started learning Lex a week ago and still trying to understand his strategy and tactics. I've always been into the oddball characters and this guy fits right in.

miloPKL

I have more to add to this guide, i will probably do it this week. nothing NEW but just some extra stuff to round out the guide.

edit 05/09/13 : still have a little more to add to this but my routine life suddenly became unpredictable so its hard to find a moment to gather my thoughts and post the clearly

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
This is a great guide! Well done and thank you!

Giving time to explore this will show how good it is and fun to play!

miloPKL

nope. the frame data was incorrect at the time of writing.

its still an awesome poke at max distance

Gankula

Noob
May I suggest one addition to MB Probes? You can get stuffed out of it and lose the meter. Only use after confirmed knock downs or whiff punishes.