What's new

Viennality 2k16 Review & Results

st9rm

viennality.com
here's an awesome write up by @MK_Al, shoutouts to you my brother
(i hope you don't mind me adding a few words of my own as well :* ) First, the Results:

Top 8:
1st place – PXP |A foxy grampa (GB) - 2500€
2nd place – PND Madzin (GER) - 1000€
3rd place – Tekken Master (BRN) - 650€
4th place – AT | The-Bizzle (NED) - 350€
5th place – EG_Nivek (GR); Mitsuownes (GER) - 150€
7th place – Harukaze (ISR); Ptn loudsandman (IT) - 100€

Now check out how we got there!!

Now that the weekend is over (and what an awesome weekend it has been), and everybody hopefully made it safe back home, I thought it is time to share some impressions of Europe’s biggest MKX(L) tournament till this day.

On Saturday, 26th of March 90 players from basically all over the world gathered to battle for glory, honour, a place at the Mortal Kombat XL Cup Finals in Sweden and – let’s be serious here – a huge price pot of 5000€ supported by Warner Brothers.

Starting at 2pm CET, we had 16 pools, each containing 5-6 players battling it out in a round robin style format with BO5 sets. In order to get the whole tournament done in one day eight pools where played simultaneously with the supposed top matches being on stream (unfortunately not all of the top matches could be shared on stream). After approximately five hours of gaming and some amazing sets, first and second place of each pool advanced to the winners side of a top 32 double elimination bracket.

Let me tell you, at 7pm CET the world was a happy place for me and my fellow VDV members, having five of our top players in this top 32, and being clearly on the right track to seize the pot. However, due to bad luck and unfavourable matchups, we were not able withstand the armada of highly gifted players, leaving only VDV_Boki in the top 8 winners side. Our hopes where finally shattered when he lost 3-2 in an incredible set against Netherlands famous Jacqui player AT |The-Bizzle and again 3-2 against Italy’s Ptn loudsandman in losers side.

Meanwhile the supposed online warrior Mitsuownes (GER) fought tournament favourite Crathen (ITA), who earlier today showed what he is made of when he won his pool set 3-2 against PXP |A foxy grampa (GB). Mitsu took it 3-1, silencing everyone who would doubt his offline skills.

Top 8 started at 11:45pm CET with PND Madzin (GER) versus Tekken Master (BRN) as well as PXP |A foxy grampa (GB) versus AT | The-Bizzle (NED) on winners side, and EG_Nivek (GR) versus Harukaze (ISR) as well as Ptn loudsandman (IT) versus Mitsuownes (GER). We had a ton of hype matches until grand finals, but I’m sure many of you would agree that the losers final – Madzin versus Tekken Master – had it all: Tekken master bringing his FT to the table, being on match point. Both players life bar at about one third. Tekken Master goes in. He throws out his X-Ray. And Madzin...

At around 2am CET the grand finals started – a European classic some might say: PND Madzin (GER) versus PXP |A foxy grampa (GB). This time Foxy’s b12 Mileena had the better end and took it 3-0, crowning himself the first Viennality champion and seizing all that sweet prize money as well as a spot in the Mortal Kombat XL Cup Finals. Congratulations for your outstanding performance foxy!

If you have missed this clash of high calibre fighters you can watch all the action on:

Stream Archive: https://www.twitch.tv/streamingxp/v/56740710
Brackets: http://challonge.com/viennality2k16
Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.970652469677705.1073741833.171810022895291
360° video: http://eyes.kolor.com/video/fa4f888354e6564869e933d350b6b689

One last word to everyone involved in this tournament:

A lot of people in the VDV community worked really hard on this project, so thank you to everyone who invested their time, took days off from work and / or worked up to 20 hours on tournament day - for free, just to keep the Austrian and European FGC going. You guys are awesome!

Thank you to all the sponsors involved, events like this are not possible without your help and dedication. Also thanks a lot to the boys from streamingXP for doing an amazing job.

Shoutouts also to Dustin Kane (Godspeed) and Brett Bieling (Emerc) for making it out and doing some awesome commentary

But all the above can do, is to provide a proper environment for all the tournament action. Ultimately it is you, the players, who make an awesome tournament. It is you who brought the vibe, the hype, the enthusiasm, the salt, and – of course - the competition.

So, on behalf of the Virtual Dojo Vienna community, to everybody who made it to Viennality, and to all the stream monsters:

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS AN EVENT TO REMEMBER
"Are you going to viennality II?" - 25th of March 2k17

thanks for making a dream come true guys, it really does mean a lot!
-St9rm

Attachments

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
this was such a great comp from a stream viewers perspective. the quality of the stream was off the chain, and so much talent. Especially loved the jackie and tanya players.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
What a tournament that was and it killed me not being able to make it :'(

I'll be there next year though 100%. Can't miss that shit again!

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Even though I ended up 3rd in the pools, it was such an amazing event for me. Had lots of fun meeting all of you after being an online warrior. Most of you ended up being even cooler than I expected. People responsible for Viennality deserve a fucking medal seeing that it was their first(?) tournament and they organized it flawlessly. Good job !

Not to take anything from @Madzin (such a kewl guy!!!) but the hypest moment for me was @The-Bizzle switching to Sektor againt Nivek and winning. LK9T9 love is real!

Lots of love from Polandball and see you in May at ButtonCzech!

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Will need to watch this back this afternoon to see some of Nivek's Raiden and of course the rest of top 8. Shame I forgot that Viennality was happening the past weekend, but what can you do.

Nivek

Athena guide me, the thunder God...
One of the best tournaments in Europe i've been so far!! WE thank you st9rm for everything.. Congrats to all the organizers and of course all the players!! Also top8 was EPIC!! I had such a good time, really!! Love to all the guys i had some chit chat the whole 4 days of my staying and ofc THANK YOU @rubmytaco and @Crathen for helping me with the staying and for being such a good friends!!

P.S.: The only problem i had with the tournament was that it was one day only and i think the top 8 was not FULL FORCE (exept Madzin and some others lol).. maybe top16(or 32) the next day?? but other than that was perfect!
EDIT: ALSOOOOOOO...
@The-Bizzle You cray cray!! :DOGE

derOeler

Death comes to all!
Had a great night viewing the stream having a couple of cold beers with @Rey.

Highlights for me - besides incredible level of play:

- st9rm showing so much love and effort to make it the best experience for everyone
- awesome music for the breaks
- great commentary
- tekkenmaster using every interactable possible and letting Kotal shine :)

Reactions: Rey

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
this Tournament was incredible, i had the chance to meet all these great guys and elite players, from @A F0xy Grampa to @Nivek, also @Youphemism and @LaidbackOne (Youph talks a lot :p, but he's a nice guy and a "small dude")

was my first time travelling to another country for MKX and my 2nd tournament, I'm happy i ended up 3rd in my pool, only losing to @Jupe and @Vak Phoenix, although i would've prefer to make it out

shoutouts to @st9rm and Hatchska for running the tourney smoothly without any problems

also shoutouts to my Italian mates!

- @Crathen for collecting scalps :D
- @Sand-man for making top 8, raising up our flag ;)
- @Asodimazze and @DavideHT for their great showing

special shoutouts to @My Girlfriend who endured for the whole tourney :D

Hope to meet you guys again in the next big event, stay safe everyone!

P.S.: @Mitsuownes really nice showing, and great improvements!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
this Tournament was incredible, i had the chance to meet all these great guys and elite players, from @A F0xy Grampa to @Nivek, also @Youphemism and @LaidbackOne (Youph talks a lot :p, but he's a nice guy and a "small dude")

was my first time travelling to another country for MKX and my 2nd tournament, I'm happy i ended up 3rd in my pool, only losing to @Jupe and @Vak Phoenix, although i would've prefer to make it out

shoutouts to @st9rm and Hatchska for running the tourney smoothly without any problems

also shoutouts to my Italian mates!

- @Crathen for collecting scalps :D
- @Sand-man for making top 8, raising up our flag ;)
- @Asodimazze and @DavideHT for their great showing

special shoutouts to @My Girlfriend who endured for the whole tourney :D

Hope to meet you guys again in the next big event, stay safe everyone!

P.S.: @Mitsuownes really nice showing, and great improvements!
Haha I know I ramble on a lot, apologies to anyone who had to sit through my ranting and raving! :D

PS. Jupe is a god.

Sand-man

Noob
I have not had an easy road from the first match (first match of the streaming workstation, fuck you lol) I hope to repeat the performance at the upcoming tournaments, I met nice people, too bad I do not speak English very well ... Thanks to @Crathen for my flame fist cange lol
Thanks to @Nivek and @godspeed for the freeplay's matches

Last edited: